You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Voodoochild
 Rep: 3 

Re: LEAKS THREAD

Voodoochild wrote:

I believe Going Down wasn't supposed to be more than just an extra track, just like OMG and Silkworms and the remixes.

zombux
 Rep: 36 

zombux wrote:
Voodoochild wrote:

Nobody - at least in public - mentioned Going Down before it showed up as a setlist option in 2011.

true! I totally forgot about that. fans generally thought that was the old song Ain't Goin' Down, but it turned out that this was totally different song. bizarre.

zombux

zombux wrote:
Voodoochild wrote:

I believe Going Down wasn't supposed to be more than just an extra track, just like OMG and Silkworms and the remixes.

what's the exact story behind those 3 songs? because clearly, all those leaks have prominent BBF guitar in the left channel. it sounds like they put some tracks that have been there lying for some time, and BBF used it to practice guitar or something like that... doesn't sound anywhere near a "release mix" at all...
as if the two Brain remixes that leaked completely (Better Gone, BITW) are the original Brain remixes, and the other 3 + OMG, Silkworms, Better Gone are like "overdubbed" with BBF guitar

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:
CSS 2.0 wrote:

I remember that, it's hilarious in hindsight. He/she was hounded off the site and either got banned or deleted the account.

Indeed it was. GN'R fans have a knack for chasing away legitimate leads but accepting outright fraud or obvious illegitimacy as being above board. I need only refer to the debacle last year about some shitty cover musicians Instagram account. Christ, the stupidity.

dave-gnfnr wrote:

Well of course they got banned because team Brazil knew the lyrics were real and didn't want the song leaking so the person got banned before they could share it

Not so.

I don't know why they were banned. I cannot say.

I can say that Del outright denied legitimate lyrics I asked him about. Merck famously denied Jackie Chan wasn't GN'R.

Deny, deny, deny.

zombux wrote:

what's the exact story behind those 3 songs?

The company line when Better leaked was that it was an early mix sent for the keyboardist to learn their parts. It seems instead of sheet music or any sort of centralized company knowledge base, the tracks themselves were passed around like a groupie at an afterparty.

I would go with that.

The other option is that the two channel splits could be for someone to put on headphones so they can hear what they're playing against. So if Bumblefoot was recording something while the band was on tour, you email over the file. I seem to recall Axl asking former guitar players to play him things over the phone as well.

Voodoochild
 Rep: 3 

Voodoochild wrote:
zombux wrote:

what's the exact story behind those 3 songs? because clearly, all those leaks have prominent BBF guitar in the left channel. it sounds like they put some tracks that have been there lying for some time, and BBF used it to practice guitar or something like that... doesn't sound anywhere near a "release mix" at all...
as if the two Brain remixes that leaked completely (Better Gone, BITW) are the original Brain remixes, and the other 3 + OMG, Silkworms, Better Gone are like "overdubbed" with BBF guitar

It's not coincidence that Going Down, OMG and Silkwoms were all rehearsed to the 2011 tour and were all options on the setlist.

The likely scenario IMO is that these tracks were mixed that way to the stage sound crew. Knowing what Bumblefoot would play (which means not only his own parts, but also Buckethead leads - like in the ending of Going Down) and how it would fit with the rest could make easier to adjust the mix levels in Ron's in-ear monitor live. But hey, that's just pure speculation.

Wagszilla wrote:

The other option is that the two channel splits could be for someone to put on headphones so they can hear what they're playing against. So if Bumblefoot was recording something while the band was on tour, you email over the file. I seem to recall Axl asking former guitar players to play him things over the phone as well.

That's another possible scenario. Bumble mixed himself the tracks to show Axl and Caram his ideas. But why would he be so loud in the mix? I mean, it would be better to see exactly what he was playing, but it wouldnt be good to understand how it would blend with the other channels/layers. Unless it was the other way around: Axl and Caram put together this rough mix to show Bumblefoot which takes were chosen and how his own parts sounded like after the heavy editing.

dalethirsty
 Rep: 20 

dalethirsty wrote:

i listened to going down with headphones for the first time the other day. i sincerely hope that was just a practice track bbf used to work out his parts. while his fills do sound nice, they are very sparse and totally jarring with the rest of the band jammed up in the other channel.

honestly, it was so uncomfortable to listen to that i couldn't even finish the song. which is a shame, because it's something that totally could have been right at home on one of the illusion records. it sounds like one of those laid back, low-key duff or izzy tunes.

as for chinese democracy (the song), the last thing that needed was a long ass intro. i get what they were going for, and the whole chinese whispers deal is really cool, especially considering the chinese whispers chronicle here on this site.

but was 15 years of waiting not long enough there, axl? did we really need any more of a build up at that point? 14

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

dalethirsty wrote:

i listened to going down with headphones for the first time the other day. i sincerely hope that was just a practice track bbf used to work out his parts. while his fills do sound nice, they are very sparse and totally jarring with the rest of the band jammed up in the other channel.

It's worth going into Audacity and remixing the track – it's fairly simple to make it more balanced, since the BBF parts are on a single audio track.

Agree that BBF's guitar is a complete mismatch with the song, though. It's a pity, I'd love to hear it with Slash or Richard playing lead, but I can't imagine it'd be released with Tommy's lead vocal now.

zombux

zombux wrote:

maybe just removing the channel with BBF would reveal whatever is buried there. and yes, I believe this was some practice track or something like that, not a mix meant to be heard by the people.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

dave-gnfnr wrote:
misterID wrote:

I love Going Down. Would have been cool on an album. Maybe Duff could sing it?

Its a good song its just not a good GNR song if that makes sense.

Are you kidding? It's got much more in common with an Izzy-penned track off AFD or UYI than, say, Scraped. Of all the Chinese Democracy tracks, it's the one that'd fit most comfortably on UYI – like the Izzy and Duff lead vocal tracks...

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

CD intro's guitar, I think, is directly inspired by Interworld and the New Innocence by Praxis, which included Brain and Bucket. This song is bad-bad-badass. Did Axl know about this song and ask for a similar intro or did Bucket and Brain just work it into the song? Who knows.

The similarities are pretty clear.

Board footer