You are not logged in. Please register or login.

dave-gnfnr
 Rep: 16 

Re: LEAKS THREAD

dave-gnfnr wrote:
dalethirsty wrote:

as weird as it is to say, part of me wishes axl pulled the trigger in '99 without buckethead. he took some songs to another level, but he wasn't necessary for axl's vision at the time -- finck was already a good fit. the '99 demos are raw as fuck in the best way possible.

after that album, he could have brought in bucket and brain and wrote the follow up with them.

those 3 could have been a songwriting powerhouse and tackled all sorts of different sounds.

but whatever.

the real shame is that there's unreleased gn'r stuff with bucket on it. i guarantee he's on the general (it's a brain song). the cd remixes have unheard solos from bucket where he duels with bumblefoot (omg, silkworms). he could even be on shit like cuban skies or the early industrial shit like seven and ides of march. i'd love to hear the shackler's revenge with his solo... it was his damn song, after all.

given bucket's health conditions currently, it'd be a nice move of axl to release a song with bucket on it and cut the man some royalties he more than fuckin' deserves.

well shackers revenge is a BH song, its still dumb they took out his solo

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:

I forgot about that and am angry again.

I still can't believe Axl thought re-releasing DJ Ashba version of CD was ever a good idea.

Fuck this band.

dave-gnfnr
 Rep: 16 

dave-gnfnr wrote:
Wagszilla wrote:

I still can't believe Axl thought re-releasing DJ Ashba version of CD was ever a good idea.

Fuck this band.

Im not sure he heard DJ remixes of CD and thought they were good.

BBF,Frank and DJ ruined CD

dalethirsty
 Rep: 20 

dalethirsty wrote:

the only explanation i could ever give for dj ashba is that the label caved and finally gave axl the greenlight for a new album, but only if he hired someone who could just fully commit himself to pretending to be slash. after all, it worked for fortus! the drunks in the audience wouldn't even know it wasn't the original band. they could sell the album on tour and rake in the profits.

soon after joining, ashba was in a tophat smoking cigs playing a les paul. next thing you know, axl's putting the finishing touches on the follow up record and prepping it for release!

there's no way you can ever convince me that dj was brought in to write songs for an album. i refuse to believe that.

esoterica

esoterica wrote:
dave-gnfnr wrote:

Im not sure he heard DJ remixes of CD and thought they were good.

The idea itself is fucking looney toons.

You have a vault full of different approaches by superior guitarists. Put those out.

If he wanted production experience, they could've you know, written new material.

dalethirsty wrote:

the only explanation i could ever give for dj ashba is that the label caved and finally gave axl the greenlight for a new album, but only if he hired someone who could just fully commit himself to pretending to be slash.

Axl preferred DJ over Bumble as a songwriting partner, that was clear as day.

The only explanation in my book is cutting the old guys off of royalties and circumventing legal red tape.

dalethirsty wrote:

there's no way you can ever convince me that dj was brought in to write songs for an album. i refuse to believe that.

I disagree.

I don't like DJ Ashba as a person but he is a marketable guy with a proven track record and his own fanbase.

Bumble? Not so much.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

I've met both DJ and Ron ... both guys are cool as hell

Ron is likely the best thing to ever happen to fans of this band from a PR standpoint...i seriously doubt u could ever meet a more fan friendly/approachable professional musician

And the guy is a ridiculously talented guitarist

LocoComa
 Rep: 4 

LocoComa wrote:
Wagszilla wrote:

Fuck this band.

Considering there was never any concrete news of Axl & DJ ever writing together, I'm not convinced he believed it was a good idea. DJ was always saying that he hoped they would get in the studio eventually, and that he showed Axl his ideas, but that doesn't mean Axl thought any of them were good - even if he told them they were to his face. If he really thought they were good, he probably would've given enough of a shit to go into the studio to work on them.

And I remember reading that the DJ version of Better was something he put together himself (makes sense considering it uses the same vocals, which are out of place as fuck).

He may have liked DJ as a person, but I think he was just there to fill a hole, honestly.

esoterica

esoterica wrote:
Neemo wrote:

And the guy is a ridiculously talented guitarist

Ron is a nice guy, I liked his playing on classic and chinese material, and you have to appreciate his decent fan-friendly approach.

But his original work is not inspiring, nor is DJ's in my view, but the latter had more verve and overall appeal than the former.

I'm happy both have since departed.

LocoComa wrote:

Considering there was never any concrete news of Axl & DJ ever writing together, I'm not convinced he believed it was a good idea.

Three alternate versions of Better likely didn't materialize out of thin air or without provocation.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I liked that DJ tried to play the songs closer to Slash than Robin did.

To me the way Robin altered them was kinda disrespectful to the classic guitar solos. I'd feel the same if Myles Kennedy had started adding different verses to the GNR songs.

DJ isn't Slash and Myles isn't Axl. But their versions were respectful to the proper arrangements at least.

I wasn't so keen on DJ's stage presence...the hat and the general slash-style posturing. it works for Slash...felt awkward with DJ. That said I've met DJ and he's a nice guy, I just think his stage persona was more suited to Motley than GNR. He would have been good replacing Mick Mars live if Motley had decided to continue on once mick's heath made it impossible or something like that. But in GNR he didn't seem to fit...the playing was ok...but the persona not so much.

I do believe Axl might have hired DJ for his studio tricks though - he did a lot of Motley Crew's "Saints of LA album" and of course Sixx:Am. He's handy in the studio.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

As for Ron.

I think he wasn't used well in GNR.

It would have been interesting if they'd just had Ron and Richard and let him handle all lead guitar duties.

He's a much better guitarist than Robin and DJ so it's odd to make him take a back seat and only tag in for a quick sweep or tap here and there. I would have liked to see him do some of the slower parts too. I think then he would have had more of a chance to impress.

He's also a great guy. I've met him a few times and done some music stuff with him. Can't praise him enough.

Board footer