You are not logged in. Please register or login.

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

Re: Youth and Sean Beavan interviews

esoterica wrote:
kermit the Trump wrote:

Beavan needs to be interviewed again.

Indeed. It was a pretty nutless interview.

All interviewees walk on eggshells though, I'm surprised they're doing interviews at all.

kermit the Trump wrote:

The Slash/Duff thing really has me intrigued. As you guys know, I've always believed the real truth about Axl and Slash has been kept under the radar for years.

If we Occam's Razor it: Paul Tobias was on his way out and needed a replacement, Axl is crazy, and Slash was not sober.

Izzy or Slash? Axl wins. 

Slash was doing guest spots and there was potential he'd rejoin and Axl would get what he wanted all along. Instead, Slash and Duff sue him in 2002 and again in 2004, they start Velvet Revolver, and then Slash does that mysterious house visit to Malibu. He went from a free agent to a guy playing for the enemy and everyone on the opposing team was talking mad shit.

I don't remember much that was extreme on Axl's end until the Slash is cancer line. It was pretty tame. So the history plus Slash's book brought out the devil in Axl in 2009. We also don't know how much litigation Slash and Duff brought against him 2007-2008 and if/how it caused delays/etc with Chinese Democracy.

kermit the Trump wrote:

Not sure I buy the album being done musically but if true

I got my Youth chronology wrong, I was thinking 1997 but he was around in 1998.

Still, I don't think we give the skeleton crew of Howerdel, Finck, Dizzy, et. al. from 1997 enough play.

James Barber wrote:

"The Robin Finck/Josh Freese/Tommy Stinson/Billy Howerdel/Dizzy Reed version of the album that existed in 1998 was pretty incredible." (James Barber, Poptones, 10/16/05)

James Barber wrote:

"The record just needed a lead vocal and a mix. [...] If Axl had recorded vocals, it would have been an absolutely contemporary record in 1999." (James Barber, Poptones, 10/16/05)

Youth stated that there were 35 songs in his day and that he pushed Axl for vocals. He said nearly all his work didn't make the final album.

The song number was in the 30s before Beavan and up to 60+ by the time Roy Thomas Baker took the chair.

The rawest leak we have is the "Madagascar" from last year. The rest could've been sweetened and pushed out the door.

Keep in mind a logo was commissioned for New GNR in 1999 which would suggest how close to critical mass we were.

It's a mystery wrapped in a riddle inside of an enigma.

kermit the Trump wrote:

He went silent and shouldered most of the blame when he shouldn't have.

I dunno. Mental health issues or not, he pretty much tanked during the 2002 tour and his rep was at an all-time low.

The media was brutal then. BRU-TAL.

You're right as far as 2009 goes. Those CD heavy set lists were years overdue

The strange things are two-fold:
1. He came out guns blazing at Rio
2. He basically lead with his biggest cards in 2006

Desperation, perhaps, but kinda had to considering Better, TWAT, IRS had all leaked.

kermit the Trump wrote:

There's something weird about 2000-01 as well.

The interesting time period to me is 2001-2002.

Axl's personal change, the album being near done to not being done, Axl being more hostile towards Slash, the list goes on.

kermit the Trump wrote:

There's something weird

Yes. Correct answer.

Also weird:
- Shacklers and Sorry being on ice for 8 years
- Jackie having vocals, being worked on post-Freese
- Song on 3rd record being worked on in May 2006
- CD tracklist being relatively fixed since 1997
- What material being on what album jumped around

zombux
 Rep: 36 

zombux wrote:
Wagszilla wrote:

The rawest leak we have is the "Madagascar" from last year. The rest could've been sweetened and pushed out the door.

we also have the "1999 leaks" - TWAT, CITR and part of Jackie Chan

esoterica

esoterica wrote:

Yes, I know.

My point was the songs haven't changed much, have sounded quite whole, and if we know anything about the 1997-2002 era it's that the "band" was working their asses off.

The Madagascar leak from last year is the closest thing to a working track we've heard. TWAT getting 2 minutes of Buckethead was an addendum onto a finished song.

Then again, Axl called Oh My God a demo so Christ, who really knows. It's extremely relative.

ClaudeF
 Rep: 16 

ClaudeF wrote:

The production of "Oh My God" certainly makes the case for it being a demo. I've never heard a GNR song sounding so murky. It still could use a good remastering.

esoterica

esoterica wrote:

But this again proves my point.

Post on an album is a relatively breezy process and Tommy said “issues” could’ve been handled during the mix and master.

Oh My God had everything there, the levels just needed some work.

But give a tinkerer a pro tools console, he’ll eat for a day. Wait, that’s not how that saying goes.

zombux
 Rep: 36 

zombux wrote:

IF the production wasn't actually deliberate like this. you know, some weird music was trendy right before Y2K.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:

Bet it didn't sound too murky for Ax.

That omnipresent kitchen sink style in his productions suggests he either gets lost in the woods, or, he actually hears every bell and whistle and deliberately stirs them up.

Board footer