You are not logged in. Please register or login.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

Re: The General (Rumors & Discussion)

metallex78 wrote:
gavgnr wrote:

It’s real guys, I’ve heard it. I think we’re on for a real treat from what I’ve listened to. Real shame it wasn’t on Chinese, beats 50% of what was on the album

LOL

How gullible do you think we all are?

dalethirsty
 Rep: 20 

dalethirsty wrote:
Wagszilla wrote:
dalethirsty wrote:

we know the general was consider an a-lister. we also know the general is a brain song. where's there's brain, there's bucket. there's a safe bet that it had a hell of a solo from bucket on there, too.

The interesting thing to me is the time it's from. It's likely to be an elusive effort by the 2001-2002 band.

Sorry and Shackler's are strong efforts. Axl and the fans were certainly taken with the latter. They benefit from Bucket's melodic songwriting and are far less patchwork more whole cloth.

I can easily see a record with Shacklers, Sorry, The General, and probably the others. They have that tonal consistency.

i bet axl has a 10 terabyte hardrive in his mansion full of nothing but bucket & brain songs.

those 2 fellas have unparalleled chemistry, inspire the shit out of each other and are naturally prolific.

they probably wrote entire albums just waiting for axl to show up to the studio.

Walker
 Rep: 8 

Walker wrote:

there is a cell phone clip but the audio is super shitty, so I'm not sure how someone can say it's better than 50% of Chinese. It's super tough to make out what Axl was saying and you couldn't hear the instruments clearly. You can hear an angry sounding Axl scream though, and can tell based on the tone of his voice that it's going to be an angry heavy song. But aside from that? Who knows. Certainly not anyone in this thread (myself included)

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

dalethirsty wrote:

they probably wrote entire albums just waiting for axl to show up to the studio.

They did. I mean, between Bucket joining GN'R and his departure, he released:

Somewhere over the Slaughterhouse
Funnel Weaver
Bermuda Triangle
Electric Tears
Bucketheadland 2
Island of Lost Minds
Population oVerride
The Cuckoo Clocks of Hell
Enter the Chicken
Kaleidoscalp
Inbred Mountain
The Elephant Man's Alarm Clock
Crime Slunk Scene

Better believe that some of those songs are Chinese leftovers. I could definitely imagine Soothsayer and about half of Electric Tears as GN'R tracks – Soothsayer even has a verse-chorus-verse structure before it segues into six minutes of soloing.

Interestingly there's a two-year gap (1999 – 2001) in his discography where he basically didn't release anything, which corresponds to the period when he was most involved with writing for GN'R. It looks very much like he invested a lot of time and effort in GN'R stuff, saw no results and went, "fuck it, I'm not giving all my best riffs to Axl, back to solo projects for me".

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:

Better believe that some of those songs are Chinese leftovers. I could definitely imagine Soothsayer and about half of Electric Tears as GN'R tracks – Soothsayer even has a verse-chorus-verse structure before it segues into six minutes of soloing.

I mean it's possible but I never believed this conspiracy theory.

It doesn't really mesh with Axl's general litigiousness and if not his, the record company's.

Bucket has that thing where he records something once and it's done.

I put it in the same conspiracy theory loony basket as Seven = The Blues, Thyme = TWAT, etc.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

Wagszilla wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:

It doesn't really mesh with Axl's general litigiousness and if not his, the record company's.

I put it in the same conspiracy theory loony basket as Seven = The Blues, Thyme = TWAT, etc.

I don't see why not – Bumblefoot has openly stated that some of his solo tracks released while he was in GN'R were originally pitched to Axl and turned down (Simple Days, specifically). It's not hard to imagine that Buckethead went through the same process.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:
Wagszilla wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:

I don't see why not – Bumblefoot has openly stated that some of his solo tracks released while he was in GN'R were originally pitched to Axl and turned down (Simple Days, specifically). It's not hard to imagine that Buckethead went through the same process.

I'd be willing to bet any amount of money Soothsayer was written to be an epic GNR ballad, but I'm even more sure Notthingham Lace was pitched for GNR. It existed in some form in his set for years called Sultan's Daughter or something like that, but it eventually ended up complete and polished on Bucket's website as a free track in 2002, 2003, or 2004.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

There's a bucket song that he's played live called Untitled Ballad that is structured like a traditional song, ie, waiting for lyrics. It sounds eerily like a CD style song. It has no name and has never been on an album.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

Been waiting for that one to appear on an album for years ....

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

Freese and Howerdel created A Perfect Circle and recorded Mer de Noms while they worked for GnR as drummer and guitar tech respectively

Then APC's first run (2000-2004) was over and GnR still had another 4 years before they would release CD...they even thank Axl in the liner notes

LOL

And Tommy also did VGH in those "early" years

Board footer