You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axlrose14
 Rep: 0 

Re: Silkworms - General discussion and Rumors

Axlrose14 wrote:
Axl S wrote:

If anyone's generous I'd appreciate a PM. I may not post that often anymore but I do still check in and read.

Same. Just the opportunity of new music coming from this band makes me lose my mind!!!

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:

Overbearing, overproduced. Absurd, absurd. There are cute bits musically, here and there, but the mainline is overstuffed by the man's insistence to cover three decades of musical styles in as many minutes.

Hate to say this, but if CD2 sounds anything like this (meaning it was re-re-re-recorded by Caram & co, instead of Beavan's raw sounds), we may have dodged a bullet there. Given the mess these versions of these songs became, it may be better to imagine what could've been.

Those clips suggest an unpleasant possibility that the songs have not aged well, or worse, the release candidates were never that hot to begin with.

jonesy
 Rep: 15 

jonesy wrote:

Thanks to the hero who shared with me, but tbh they are shit. Apex has it right, whatever mixes or demo/scratch takes they are, they are an utter mess, best left someplace other than now.

That said, was interesting to hear some bucket shred, even if it is poorly pasted into an abomination.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Can anyone help a brother out?

CSS 2.0
 Rep: 35 

CSS 2.0 wrote:

I'd really like to hear an unedited (and unaltered) studio version of Silkworms. I can't put my finger on it, but I find the song intriguing - even in this state.

You can throw Oh My God, or rather this rendition of the song, in the garbage. It sounds like a hot mess. Who on earth decided to add that "disco" break?

It was Axl, wasn't it. The madman.

I'm pleased to have finally heard it... but that's about as far as I'm willing to go.

Hidden Text:

Just give us the CD catalogue as originally intended already for fuck's sake!

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:
CSS 2.0 wrote:

It was Axl, wasn't it. The madman.

My thoughts exactly.

The most expensive album ever made and the demos sound like shite. By this I mean, sound editing. Axl's priorities and choices as a producer. Timeline editing and rudimentary transitions are not rocket science. But some bits sound like Fernando took the project files home and merged the parts Axl liked in different takes.

Worse, those bits hardly gel together into a fluid song. Going Down had a similar thing with a Ron solo coming out of nowhere, and sounding like it. The closing IRS solo, on the finished album, has that effect, too. It was an insanely expensive album production, because it was bleeding money. Had Axl been more frugal, he would've gotten the same end result, artistically and technically, with less hassle.

All that care into recording, and they dropped the ball in postproduction. hmm

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:

I wouldn’t be at all surprised if CD was the best of the bunch.

The record company should’ve signed Axl to a permanent completion bond. It would’ve saved everyone the trouble. Get these out like Kanye is doing now with Ye, Kids See Ghosts, etc.

I like Silkworms. The CD II progeny had the meat and potatoes. Hard rock songs, heavy drums, danceable, catchy vocal takes. But I’ll be damned if that synth bridge makes me doubt that Axl ever knew what he was doing.

It’s just so colossally bad and even worse that it survived the first cut. It’s as pointless as the Riad intro. Absurd!

AndreCC

AndreCC wrote:

I thought Silkworms was great, but I thought the part where it slowed down should have been a little slower and last a bit more time, and then right after it, it should have lyrics, instead of having the riff of the start of the song.

Axlrose14

Axlrose14 wrote:
Wagszilla wrote:

I wouldn’t be at all surprised if CD was the best of the bunch.

The record company should’ve signed Axl to a permanent completion bond. It would’ve saved everyone the trouble. Get these out like Kanye is doing now with Ye, Kids See Ghosts, etc.

I like Silkworms. The CD II progeny had the meat and potatoes. Hard rock songs, heavy drums, danceable, catchy vocal takes. But I’ll be damned if that synth bridge makes me doubt that Axl ever knew what he was doing.

It’s just so colossally bad and even worse that it survived the first cut. It’s as pointless as the Riad intro. Absurd!

…..

Axlrose14

Axlrose14 wrote:
jonesy wrote:

Thanks to the hero who shared with me, but tbh they are shit. Apex has it right, whatever mixes or demo/scratch takes they are, they are an utter mess, best left someplace other than now.

That said, was interesting to hear some bucket shred, even if it is poorly pasted into an abomination.

I need a hero!

Board footer