You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Caedo
 Rep: 0 

Re: Rough Mixes Disc 2

Caedo wrote:

Can someone hit me up please?

AtariLegend wrote:

For those wondering.

Only If the World and Eye on You are finished tracks.

Shackler's and Sorry are instrumentals only. Shackler's however is pretty different from the album track.

Quick Song has a different intro, but still has the guided vocals.

PotatoSalad

PotatoSalad wrote:

axl

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

I’m on the road for work until later in the week so I can’t really check them out until then. No lyrics to any of these songs?

Pootermcgavin

someone pm a link please!

Link31
 Rep: 1 

Link31 wrote:

GN'R history has been made today. When the fans put out more music than the band.

benny

benny wrote:

Once again like the other rough mixes in this case If The World is better than the album version.

exoterica
 Rep: 18 

exoterica wrote:

I need another spin tomorrow but these versions are like 95% there for me.

I like the additional lyric in “If The World” but miss the drum and guitar stings, the la la la interlude, and extended synth intro. The album version bridge slows it down and gives it more of a thematic arc. Mostly better here but missing some of those good decisions.

“Sorry” is by and large superior in every way. Missing that Bucket outro solo and the bridge solo is a little more raw and sloppy but everything else is incredible. The heavier synth gives levity to it but retains that groovy gloomy flavor. The pounding riff just knocks you over the head. It’s so Motörhead we’re playing at 10 and fuck you tock n roll.

“Shankler’s” is another hatchet job by re-recording and Caram and Axl poor decision making. The riff is way heavier the stab riff has a serial killer Halloween vibe instead of obnoxious riffing feel of the finished album. The bass and reworked sections on album give it a more funky danceable vibe. That’s actually a theme of further re-recording. Axl tries to stick a hook on the “TWAT” prechorus (thinking about it makes me physically sick) but the better example are Bumblefoot’s “Oh My God” and “Silkworms”. More funk and disco in search for of hooks.

I still don’t care for PRL. Crystal Method rip-off. Real Doll sounds dated but I dig the riff and is better than PRL.

I want to hear Cuban Skies out of morbid curiosity. And older This I Love.

Come to daddy.

exoterica

exoterica wrote:

P.S. Fuck Bob Ezrin.

If I go off the songs with vocals he has a killer record which maybe lacks a “wow me “ lead single but is on the whole sufficiently poppy.

It gets your boat out on the water which would have only picked up steam from there...

exoterica

exoterica wrote:

P.P.S.

After listening to "Shankler's" a couple more times (still hold that this was a typo) I'm convinced that Buckethead was inspired by slasher movies, serial killers, and Hitchcock movies when he wrote this track.

The guitar stings are reminiscent of Bernard Herrmann's work on Psycho and bring to mind a stabbing motion. The solo which has the unfortunate metaphor of consisting of "elephant noises" seems to be screams from the unfortunate victim. That is, the song is musically structured like a killing spree before the Shackler gets his titular revenge.

I really like Axl's overdubs on the final album version. Very demonic and expressive.

I wonder if there's a 2002-2006 version of this before Bumblefoot go to it.

Board footer