You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Re: GNRevolution Exclusive! Classic Rock Feb Mag Cover!

Neemo wrote:

got a couple updates from the editor again

Regarding Mysteron's Comments:

If it's true, it sounds to me like HTGTH is becoming the mouth piece of GNR. They took the Beta-confirms-album-finished story down, saying that we 'stooped to new levels' when in fact I spoke to Beta herself twice - and have since then.  And if that's the case, they're being petty. Obviously Tom hasn't heard anything since 2002 when he left the project.

Regarding exactly what songs Zutaut worked on:

Off the top of my head I can't remember exactly how he said the track listing was shaping up  - Atlas, Prostitute, Silkworms, Madagascar, Chinese were all songs he worked on with them. One song he didn't know anything about until it was leaked was Better - he wondered if it was the band's conscious attempt to write a hit...

so you can take that to the bank wink

Sky Dog wrote:

that's interesting.....:mosh: thanks Neemo.

Makes perfect sense about Zutaut.    The idea is to make the comment about stooping to new levels lock the thread and sweep it under the rug.

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

Thanks Neemo 9

Don't know what to make of the whole HTGTH/Beta side of it, very strange, it seems like there's been a breakdown in communication somewhere because clearly Beta doesn't apparently have an issue with CR and is happy to talk to them, yet Jarmo and Mysteron are doing everything they can to discredit CR and it's article. Bizarre.

Interesting stuff about Zutaut as well, it seems the suspicion that Better was a newer song was correct. Assuming it's BH on the track it fairly firmly dates the track to 03.

Neemo

Neemo wrote:

or its not BH at all and we're looking at an 04-06 recording hmm

sic.
 Rep: 150 

sic. wrote:

Methinks there's a whole albums worth of random Buckethead guitar parts in Axl's vaults. But yes, Better was obviously not worked on in 2001. That doesn't mean a rough version of the song (or songs) isn't from an earlier era.

"I found it difficult to chart a linear development of the songs that they were working on," recalls Moby. "They would work on something, it would be a sketch for a while, and then they'd put it aside and go back to it a year, six months later." - RS, 2000

If Better (or parts of it, anyway) existed pre-2001, it was obviously very different from what it is today, otherwise it would've been a candidate for the album.

Also, it's a bit deceiving to assure oneself that Bucket was needed in creating the song. Mind you now, the songs were all compiled from bits and pieces. Bucket could've recorded his solo a long time ago. However, the song, as it is, is very likely to stem from the 2003-5 period regardless. Axl may not be such a dim-witted producer after all.

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

Neemo wrote:

Possible, although my gut feeling is that it's BH on this track which makes it 03. Having said that if Better was pieced together from different jams like some think I suppose it's possible Better as a song was constructed in the period your suggesting and one of BH's solos was just fitted in there even though he'd long since left GNR.

Whatever the true scenario though it does confirm Better is a newer track than a lot of the other material we have heard. Axl talked of 'big guns' before this song even existed which means the band was writing new songs since 02 and not just tinkering with the same old tracks, and not just new songs but good new songs. Who knows what else they've managed to write in the last 3-4 years? Sorry, If the World? Both tracks were only mentioned in the last 2 years.

Voodoochild
 Rep: 3 

Voodoochild wrote:
Jameslofton wrote:
madagas wrote:

Oh yeah, and I liked his comment that said the 2001-2002 version of CD smoked the leaked version's ass!:peace:

Yeah, that was an intriguing comment. Considering that has always been one of my favorite songs(even before the leak), I'd sell my mother to hear it. It probably is more raw and has more balls than the leak. That intro is probably non existent, and likely little to no synth.

Little to no synth? Listen to 2001 live version of the song, there was way more synth than now. Just because it didn't have the intro doesn't mean it was more guitar driven - in fact, it sounded a lot less guitar driven back then. From the Boston Promo 2002, the synth was there in the studio mix too.

Neemo wrote:

It's Bucket for sure, his sound is unique enough to notice. There's no way in hell it's not Bucket unless it's someone trying to be exactly like him.

I don't think Better was written in several pieces put toghether because that was the only new song besides Silkworms that Axl told about who wrote - in this case, Robin Finck. There are several GNR songs who had several different parts, like Rocket Queen and Locomotive.

Also, I find hard to believe that Bucket's solo was from different sessions. It would need a lot of work to mix it good enough with the actual song, as it would most likely be in another key, tempo and pattern. The great work by Bucket fits nicely in the song and it's felt in every chorus and also in his own solo.

About the article, I think it gives Bucket a whole more important than it would be for real. In all songs we know, Bucket only put solo and some licks here and there, but the structure of the songs were all the same since the early years. IMO, he was more to put some touches, but not to write the main concept of the songs - that seems to be the work of Paul Tobias, Dizzy, Tommy and Robin, of course.

Sky Dog wrote:
Voodoochild wrote:
Jameslofton wrote:
madagas wrote:

Oh yeah, and I liked his comment that said the 2001-2002 version of CD smoked the leaked version's ass!:peace:

Yeah, that was an intriguing comment. Considering that has always been one of my favorite songs(even before the leak), I'd sell my mother to hear it. It probably is more raw and has more balls than the leak. That intro is probably non existent, and likely little to no synth.

Little to no synth? Listen to 2001 live version of the song, there was way more synth than now. Just because it didn't have the intro doesn't mean it was more guitar driven - in fact, it sounded a lot less guitar driven back then. From the Boston Promo 2002, the synth was there in the studio mix too.

Neemo wrote:

It's Bucket for sure, his sound is unique enough to notice. There's no way in hell it's not Bucket unless it's someone trying to be exactly like him.

I don't think Better was written in several pieces put toghether because that was the only new song besides Silkworms that Axl told about who wrote - in this case, Robin Finck. There are several GNR songs who had several different parts, like Rocket Queen and Locomotive.

Also, I find hard to believe that Bucket's solo was from different sessions. It would need a lot of work to mix it good enough with the actual song, as it would most likely be in another key, tempo and pattern. The great work by Bucket fits nicely in the song and it's felt in every chorus and also in his own solo.

About the article, I think it gives Bucket a whole more important than it would be for real. In all songs we know, Bucket only put solo and some licks here and there, but the structure of the songs were all the same since the early years. IMO, he was more to put some touches, but not to write the main concept of the songs - that seems to be the work of Paul Tobias, Dizzy, Tommy and Robin, of course.

agree...I think Bucket was brought in to take existing tracks and add his mojo to them.

Neemo

Neemo wrote:
madagas wrote:
Voodoochild wrote:
Jameslofton wrote:

Neemo wrote:

agree...I think Bucket was brought in to take existing tracks and add his mojo to them.

I also agree that BH was brought in to elevate and maybe add some "Metal" to the project...howver regarding better....there is a richard email that said that Bucket turned him on to the kill switch...which is a very BH part on Better

Board footer