You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Re: We don't really expect a new setlist do we?

Smoking Guns wrote:
AgesOfTheIce wrote:
faldor wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

Making up for lost money…. that’s funny,  when they’ve all made more money than anyone would need for several lifetimes.

Money is clearly the only motivating factor for Axl’s absolutely abysmal display, because he doesn’t seem to care enough to put any effort into his performance.

Just because they already have a lot of money doesn’t mean they don’t want/need more. They’re used to living a certain lifestyle and were taking in millions a year and that all went away suddenly. I know it’s not easy to hear or comprehend, but it’s reality.

From the clips I saw, they seemed to be in good spirits. So I don’t agree that they’re just going through the motions and don’t care what product they’re putting out. They’re doing it for the money. They added Dead Horse, granted it’s only 1 song, but it’s something. You’re Crazy hasn’t been played a lot either. Slither is played to throw a bone to Slash and Duff playing the CD songs.

I get the frustration, but I also get what they’re doing and why they’re doing it. We’ve been having the same discussions and complaints for years now. Shame on us if we keep on spinning our wheels. I’m skipping out on this tour, mainly because of finances and other things. I’d love to hear Dead Horse though, despite the lackluster performance last night. But I’d rather wait for some more substantial changes.

As Axl alluded to a few times though, we spent a year locked in our houses basically and we’re back to bitching about the same things. So I guess we are indeed back to normal. I try to enjoy what we do have instead of dwelling on what we don’t, but that’s just me. To each their own.

Dead Horse debuted in 2019 and has been played in every show since, including all five of the last 2019 shows, and both 2020 shows. It cannot be considered an addition at this point. Maybe if it was played sporadically like Locomotive, but that's not the case.

Haha, you beat me!

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
Blackstar wrote:
Scabbie wrote:

Did Axl attend the soundcheck?

He did, two days before the show. He sounded better than at the show

Probably a recording.

Blackstar
 Rep: 12 

Blackstar wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:
Blackstar wrote:
Scabbie wrote:

Did Axl attend the soundcheck?

He did, two days before the show. He sounded better than at the show

Probably a recording.

He was there. Meegan (Slash's girlfriend, for those who don't know) had posted pictures from the soundcheck

soundc11.jpg

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:
faldor wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

Making up for lost money…. that’s funny,  when they’ve all made more money than anyone would need for several lifetimes.

Money is clearly the only motivating factor for Axl’s absolutely abysmal display, because he doesn’t seem to care enough to put any effort into his performance.

Just because they already have a lot of money doesn’t mean they don’t want/need more. They’re used to living a certain lifestyle and were taking in millions a year and that all went away suddenly. I know it’s not easy to hear or comprehend, but it’s reality.

From the clips I saw, they seemed to be in good spirits. So I don’t agree that they’re just going through the motions and don’t care what product they’re putting out. They’re doing it for the money. They added Dead Horse, granted it’s only 1 song, but it’s something. You’re Crazy hasn’t been played a lot either. Slither is played to throw a bone to Slash and Duff playing the CD songs.

I get the frustration, but I also get what they’re doing and why they’re doing it. We’ve been having the same discussions and complaints for years now. Shame on us if we keep on spinning our wheels. I’m skipping out on this tour, mainly because of finances and other things. I’d love to hear Dead Horse though, despite the lackluster performance last night. But I’d rather wait for some more substantial changes.

As Axl alluded to a few times though, we spent a year locked in our houses basically and we’re back to bitching about the same things. So I guess we are indeed back to normal. I try to enjoy what we do have instead of dwelling on what we don’t, but that’s just me. To each their own.

Accepting this performance as anything more than the shit show that it is, simply because shows are back again, is part of the problem.

If any other stadium level band played this bad, I’d call them out on it too. Motley Crüe with Vince Neil comes to mind.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
AgesOfTheIce wrote:

Dead Horse debuted in 2019 and has been played in every show since, including all five of the last 2019 shows, and both 2020 shows. It cannot be considered an addition at this point. Maybe if it was played sporadically like Locomotive, but that's not the case.

I didn’t follow the shows that closely the last few years, but that’s 7 times they’ve played it so I’d still consider it somewhat of a new addition.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

Accepting this performance as anything more than the shit show that it is, simply because shows are back again, is part of the problem.

If any other stadium level band played this bad, I’d call them out on it too. Motley Crüe with Vince Neil comes to mind.

I didn’t think it was as bad as many have expressed. I guess I’m in the minority here, but I didn’t think Axl sounded much different than he has in recent years. Missing parts in Dead Horse and missing his spot/singing during Slash’s solo. That wasn’t good. Can’t argue with that. And the no scream at the beginning of Jungle, maybe he just missed the mark and decided to go on? Other than that, he seemed pretty much the same. And to me, Slash looked solid and into it. He concentrates on playing the guitar, but I don’t view that as being disinterested.

I know this is just one review, but it is overall a positive one.
https://ultimateclassicrock.com/guns-n- … show-2021/

This is more about concerts coming back and the reviewer doesn’t seem to know GNR very well, but he gave a positive review too.
https://www.pennlive.com/entertainment/ … began.html

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:
faldor wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

I didn’t think it was as bad as many have expressed. I guess I’m in the minority here, but I didn’t think Axl sounded much different than he has in recent years. Missing parts in Dead Horse and missing his spot/singing during Slash’s solo. That wasn’t good. Can’t argue with that. And the no scream at the beginning of Jungle, maybe he just missed the mark and decided to go on? Other than that, he seemed pretty much the same. And to me, Slash looked solid and into it. He concentrates on playing the guitar, but I don’t view that as being disinterested.

I know this is just one review, but it is overall a positive one.
https://ultimateclassicrock.com/guns-n- … show-2021/

This is more about concerts coming back and the reviewer doesn’t seem to know GNR very well, but he gave a positive review too.
https://www.pennlive.com/entertainment/ … began.html

I saw them in 17. When I was there, was my first time seeing them and I really enjoyed the show and was into it. I watched some clips afterwards and could spot that Axl did not sound good.

When at the show, I didn't care. Got caught up in enjoy a big stadium rock show experience. How good he does or doesn't sound is less of a factor when actually at a show because you're there to enjoy yourself and you get caught up in the overall performance. That said, in the cold light of day he's gotten a lot lot worse since 2018.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

James wrote:

I just thought of the perfect cover to replace one of the current covers.

Let  Axl go get oxygen and let Melissa tackle a song....

I GUARANTEE you it will get a bigger crowd pop than any cover not named KOHD and LALD.

Women in their 30s-40s  will go ape shit when that intro kicks in.

I'm honestly surprised they haven't brought Melissa up front. Get her to do a duet with Axl. Gimme Shelter or something.

Anyway, after all the shit talk about this show I watched some of it. There's more aggression and venom in this Chinese Democracy performance than Axl's put in in a long time:

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:

Anyway, after all the shit talk about this show I watched some of it. There's more aggression and venom in this Chinese Democracy performance than Axl's put in in a long time:

It was Jungle onwards where it went downhill. Us watching along on Saturday were optimistic from the first three songs. There's even times on CD there where he taps into the rasp, so it's clearly still a choice not to use it. Could be that he knows if he does it across a whole tour he'll blow his voice out though. But I watched even some 2012 and 2014 clips today and even when doing his "clean" voice, it still has power. That's what really seems to have gone these last few years, the power in his voice.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

At least it's not as bad as him storming off stage for forgetting the lyrics to Patience or ending the show over sound issues. It could be as simple that he's convinced himself he needs to sing a certain way to preserve his voice. Maybe the rasp took it out of him. Thing is, he's fully capable of putting on a great vocal performance.

And I would wager Axl's lifestyle is very, very, very expensive, and he's taking care of a lot of people. Before the reunion he was doing commercials and licensing his music to everything, something he didn't do before. Money is a motivator. And if he's punching a time card on stage, I can understand why he's not releasing anything.

Board footer