You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: Slash confirms “one or two” new songs by June

monkeychow wrote:
James wrote:

I could've swore that Izzy was 100% on board until Weiland came in and didn't want Izzy involved as it made it seem like he was just the lead singer of an alternate GNR...and they didn't "gel" or something like that.

Similar to your other reply - I could be wrong cos I'm old and this stuff is like 20 years back now....(scary when we're talking about VR!) but my recollection of it is the other way around....

I think Duff's version was that Izzy wanted to do it like a fun hobby project - write 8 songs add a bunch of covers and hit the road immediately and tour it - Izzy wasn't as interested as the others in building it into a supergroup big deal.
Izzy thought he and duff split the vocal duties and they just do a season of it kinda thing. But Duff was more like "if we do this we have to do it the right way" cos he realised what a big deal it was to get them all back together.

Anyway they hung out and wrote for a while, but when the decision was made to bring in a frontman Izzy figured that would lead to more rockstar drama rather than fun and he took off. Slash said it was because Izzy was still traumatised by Axl but he might have just been being a smartass.

Curiously they also said that Dave was still around when they were writing with Izzy, and he was a bit like "shall I make a discreet exit then" but that  they told him to hang out and we'll just jam with 3 guitarists. Slash said people don't understand his relationship with Izzy: Izzy's always the guy who is half around, he's never exactly in or out. He'll just be there sometimes. 16

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

misterID wrote:

I do wish I could've heard the combo of Duff and Brain.

Yeah, it's kind of annoying that Brain has retired from touring. Maybe when his kids are a bit older he'll hit the road again? Seems like it'd make logical sense for him too, he could work with Melissa on their film scores etc while they're on tour.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

monkeychow wrote:

Izzy figured that would lead to more rockstar drama rather than fun and he took off.

To be fair, he wasn't wrong.

Vale
 Rep: 4 

Vale wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
James wrote:

I could've swore that Izzy was 100% on board until Weiland came in and didn't want Izzy involved as it made it seem like he was just the lead singer of an alternate GNR...and they didn't "gel" or something like that.

Similar to your other reply - I could be wrong cos I'm old and this stuff is like 20 years back now....(scary when we're talking about VR!) but my recollection of it is the other way around....

I think Duff's version was that Izzy wanted to do it like a fun hobby project - write 8 songs add a bunch of covers and hit the road immediately and tour it - Izzy wasn't as interested as the others in building it into a supergroup big deal.
Izzy thought he and duff split the vocal duties and they just do a season of it kinda thing. But Duff was more like "if we do this we have to do it the right way" cos he realised what a big deal it was to get them all back together.

Anyway they hung out and wrote for a while, but when the decision was made to bring in a frontman Izzy figured that would lead to more rockstar drama rather than fun and he took off. Slash said it was because Izzy was still traumatised by Axl but he might have just been being a smartass.

Curiously they also said that Dave was still around when they were writing with Izzy, and he was a bit like "shall I make a discreet exit then" but that  they told him to hang out and we'll just jam with 3 guitarists. Slash said people don't understand his relationship with Izzy: Izzy's always the guy who is half around, he's never exactly in or out. He'll just be there sometimes. 16

That's how it happened. I remember reading an interview with Dave when he was unsure what to do when he came to rehearsal and Izzy was there. Duff had told him to wait and see, anticipating that it would be very likely that Izzy wouldn't stay...

Izzy just wanted to him and Duff to handle the vocals and bailed when Slash wanted a proper frontman...

It's a shame that he also never released the solo album he did with Slash & Duff on it (around the time of On Down The Road). The same with Duff's 2014/2015 solo album where Duff was super happy to be writing and recording with Izzy. There has to be tons of great material buried somewhere...

As far as Izzy leaving his band while going out for cigarettes. That was the Ju Ju Hounds yes. If I remember correctly they still had a gig of their tour left and were also somewhat in the middle of recording JuJu Hounds 2.

Vale
 Rep: 4 

Vale wrote:
ClaudeF wrote:
AgesOfTheIce wrote:

Izzy screws everybody over. He bailed on GNR, Ju Ju Hounds and New York Dolls. His nickname should be Mr. Unreliable.

What happened with JuJu Hounds and the Dolls?

That's also something I would be curious about. I remember that he wanted to help them out and played with them for a while, but I don't remember hearing anything about why it didn't work out...

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:
Vale wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
James wrote:

That's how it happened. I remember reading an interview with Dave when he was unsure what to do when he came to rehearsal and Izzy was there. Duff had told him to wait and see, anticipating that it would be very likely that Izzy wouldn't stay...

Izzy just wanted to him and Duff to handle the vocals and bailed when Slash wanted a proper frontman...

It's a shame that he also never released the solo album he did with Slash & Duff on it (around the time of On Down The Road). The same with Duff's 2014/2015 solo album where Duff was super happy to be writing and recording with Izzy. There has to be tons of great material buried somewhere...

As far as Izzy leaving his band while going out for cigarettes. That was the Ju Ju Hounds yes. If I remember correctly they still had a gig of their tour left and were also somewhat in the middle of recording JuJu Hounds 2.

Yeah, isn’t that Slash/Duff/Izzy album said to be the greatest GNR instrumental music ever recorded? They should seriously hand it over to Axl to lay vocals on top

Sky Dog wrote:

Best Gnr instrumental music ever recorded? You can’t be serious.

metallex78

metallex78 wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

Best Gnr instrumental music ever recorded? You can’t be serious.

I can’t remember who was quoted saying that, whether it was Izzy or Duff, but yeah, that’s what it was referred to as.

Sky Dog wrote:

Since Axl allegedly doesn’t record his vocals until the end of the process, would anyone really believe anything they recorded would touch an instrumental Coma or Locomotive or ANY song in the Illusion era outside of My World??

metallex78

metallex78 wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

Since Axl allegedly doesn’t record his vocals until the end of the process, would anyone really believe anything they recorded would touch an instrumental Coma or Locomotive or ANY song in the Illusion era outside of My World??

No, but it may instrumentally sound like another AFD, which wouldn’t be bad either

Board footer