You are not logged in. Please register or login.

NY Giants82
 Rep: 26 

Re: The NFL 2008 Offseason Thread

NY Giants82 wrote:

Well as long as Eli doesnt nearly kill himself in a motorcycle accident, I dont think the Giants will end up like the Steelers did after their Super Bowl win.

I really dont know why people think that Dallas is a better team on paper then the Giants. I think on paper, the Giants are just as good as Dallas. There is by no means a clear cut favorite. And sure they arent on Indy or NE's level yet, but no one is. I think the confidence they built will carry over to this year. That is the biggest thing. And they keep drafting well. That is the most important thing.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

They did draft pretty fucking well last year.. I don't know much about this year, I didn't follow it. It's useless enough following your own team, let alone someone else's.  16

NY Giants82

NY Giants82 wrote:

Right now it looks like the Giants had another excellent draft class, but of course you never know until the games are played. But last years was an A+.

Hey I heard the Eagles are trying Winston Justice at guard now, rather than tackle. You think they are going to keep him away from Osi! 16

PaSnow

PaSnow wrote:

I give Justice the benefit of the doubt, as a 2nd rd pick from USC I think he's better than that game on MNF. There was talk he was supposed to be a first rounder, but he got caught with pot or stealing or something stupid in college (He went to USC after all). Reid kinda threw him under the bus by not giving him any help either. We have another OL Max Jean-Giles (MJG) who is supposedly really good. Odd though, I thought he was a guard. They might be moving him to Tackle instead.

NY Giants82

NY Giants82 wrote:

Yeah I am sure Justice will be fine. I kinda feel bad for him, cause as long as he is in the league, he will be known as Osi's bitch. All of Osi's 6 sacks didnt come off of Justice, but that hasnt stopped some people from saying that.

I just read that he was being used some at guard. I dont know if they will keep him there or not. He might just be playing there cause of an injury or something. Who knows man.

I remember when he came out. I thought he would be a first rounder too, but he slid. At the time, I was hoping the Giants would take him in round 1, but didnt think he would last that long. He'll be a good player.

PaSnow

PaSnow wrote:

I honestly have pretty low expectations for the Birds this year. I know it sounds crazy, but had we drafted either Malcolm Kelly or Limas Sweed (both 6'5 WR) AND Desean Jackson, I'd put us at the top (11-5/12-4 caliber) but without them, and our stale WR crew I'm putting us at 6-10 to 8-8. I see it falling apart this year, I think our window closed. Sucks to say it, but I think it's true, AR's refusal to get another #1 WR killed us. We'll see, it really depends how much heart this team has because on paper they're middle of the road.

It's a "No Excuses" year for me, this year it's all or nothing. No injury complaints because they traded away their last 2 first rd picks, OL has plenty of backups, CB they signed Samuel, Saftey we've known Dawk has been getting older so if he gets hurt we should have drafted his replacement in the last few years, WR we've known we need to add to, and McNabb we drafted Kevin Kolb with the 35th pick or whatever last year so he will be our future anyway. So the only possible acceptable injury excuse would be if Westbrook went down, but even that I'm not buying because we should have gotten better WR's anyway to throw to. No Excuses!!

{Uggh you got me all fired up now NYG}

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

I know its not NFL related...but i went to see a CFL Preseason Game yesterday...the Hamilton TigerCats vs the Winnipeg Blue Bombers

my first Pro Football game i've ever been to

being relatively new to the game and having only watch NFL to this point i found that the CFL rules are fucked 16

-110 yd feild (total 150 yds long and 65 yds wide)
-CFL has only 3 downs....makes for alot of kicking and running
-CFL has 12 players each side
-Instead of a tight end, the CFL employs two "Slot Backs".
-In defense, Canadian teams have an additional linebacker
-Feild goals can be returned for touchdowns. Should the defending team not return the missed field goal out the end zone a single point is awarded to the kicking team if a point is awarded for a missed feild goal, the Reciveing team can place the ball on the 35 yard line or at the last line of scrimmage
-In Canadian football all offensive backfield players, except the quarterback, may be in motion at the snap
-In Canadian football, if the receiving team does not play the ball, the kicker and any teammates behind the kicker at the time of the kick can attempt to retrieve and advance the ball.
-In Canadian football, the offensive team must run a play within 20 seconds of the referee whistling the play in
-CFL has one time out per half
-No 2 minute warnings
-The defensive line can only hold up a receiver within one yard of the scrimmage lines in the CFL
-In Canadian play, if the ball is fumbled out of bounds, the last team to touch the ball before it goes out of bounds gets possession.
-Canadian receivers need only have one foot in bounds for a catch to count as a reception.

PaSnow

PaSnow wrote:
Neemo wrote:

-In Canadian football all offensive backfield players, except the quarterback, may be in motion at the snap

I always thought this was cool, when a WR is in the backfield and begins running full steam ahead so the QB times the snap right when he's at the line of scrimmage. I don't watch much CFL but on ESPN I've seen highlights a couple times.

I do like the 2 minute warning though, I think that's one of the greater inventions in sports.

NY Giants82

NY Giants82 wrote:
PaSnow wrote:

I honestly have pretty low expectations for the Birds this year. I know it sounds crazy, but had we drafted either Malcolm Kelly or Limas Sweed (both 6'5 WR) AND Desean Jackson, I'd put us at the top (11-5/12-4 caliber) but without them, and our stale WR crew I'm putting us at 6-10 to 8-8. I see it falling apart this year, I think our window closed. Sucks to say it, but I think it's true, AR's refusal to get another #1 WR killed us. We'll see, it really depends how much heart this team has because on paper they're middle of the road.

It's a "No Excuses" year for me, this year it's all or nothing. No injury complaints because they traded away their last 2 first rd picks, OL has plenty of backups, CB they signed Samuel, Saftey we've known Dawk has been getting older so if he gets hurt we should have drafted his replacement in the last few years, WR we've known we need to add to, and McNabb we drafted Kevin Kolb with the 35th pick or whatever last year so he will be our future anyway. So the only possible acceptable injury excuse would be if Westbrook went down, but even that I'm not buying because we should have gotten better WR's anyway to throw to. No Excuses!!

{Uggh you got me all fired up now NYG}

Ahh, get your head up man. The Eagles are always tough. As long as Westbrook is healthy, and you have Jim Johnson coordinating the defense, you guys will be in all your games. And even if Philly got one of those recievers, Kelly or Sweed, you couldnt depend on a rookie coming in and setting the world on fire. The odds of a rookie WR being a major contributor are really slim. Now you could make an argument that Philly should have gotten a #1 reciever a couple years ago and have him ready now. That I would totally agree with. I never understood why, outside of TO, they never gave McNabb a true go-to guy.

PaSnow

PaSnow wrote:
NY Giants82 wrote:

As long as Westbrook is healthy, and you have Jim Johnson coordinating the defense, you guys will be in all your games.

That's the problem, when you live in a city that's gone thru 100 different sports seasons (25 years/4 teams) without a championship "being in all your games" is meaningless. We've been in most of our games for the past 6 years and have nothing to show for it. It's just frustrating being pretty close to 1 player away and the coach & mgmt REFUSES to get that player, for us the fans!!

NY Giants82 wrote:

Now you could make an argument that Philly should have gotten a #1 reciever a couple years ago and have him ready now. That I would totally agree with. I never understood why, outside of TO, they never gave McNabb a true go-to guy.

You mean like Dante Stallworth?? A decent enough go-to guy who we let go. Now made another mistake of not signing him this off season?? That's 4-5 missed oppurtunities. TO, Stallworth, not drafting, and not signing Stallworth again. AR refuses to sign big name WR's because he thinks it's his system that wins, not the players. That can be true only up to a certain point. The best analogy I heard was years ago a guy said "Remember that toy as a kid where you had round pegs and square pegs etc... Andy Reid is like a kid trying to fit a square peg into a round hole". Speaking about the way he swears his West Coast Offense will work someday and tries to throw the ball 60 times a game with a fairly inaccurate QB and lackluster WR's. Guess what, it still ain't working.

Board footer