You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: The General and Monsters

Sky Dog wrote:
misterID wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

Only complaints I have are the ending shredding and yelping during the last 30 seconds of The General. The ending of Monsters is a bit hectic as well.

All the re-records with Slash and Duff feel chopped up except Perhaps

The funny thing is no one at this point of all those songs really has a clue as to who did what. We know Chinese because the liner notes were pretty detailed. None of these songs have detailed about solos, piano, etc

I agree with this in the general sense. But many think so quick and so fast with pre-determined choices already made up in their minds it is Slash and Duff based off of them currently in the band and with the vinyl release in December. I don't have a pre-determined mind. I base what I think off the music I hear. I don't base it on other circumstances like the crowds. Based on the music I think it is Robin and Bucket on The General and Monsters. If I'm wrong I'm happy to have Slash, Duff, Fernando, Beta, and even Beltrami to come out and prove me wrong based on the evidence of the music and not with a pre-dispositioned bias.

Trin9498
 Rep: 0 

Trin9498 wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

Only complaints I have are the ending shredding and yelping during the last 30 seconds of The General. The ending of Monsters is a bit hectic as well.

They don’t end like TWAT Coma Estranged NR etc….need to have that triumphant feel to make it in their catalog

Agree on the end of the General. It hurts my ears....literally hurts them

Trin9498 wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

They don’t end like TWAT Coma Estranged NR etc….need to have that triumphant feel to make it in their catalog

The General doesn't hurt my ears because I'm used to Robin's strident and piercing solos like Robin's strident and piercing solos on The General and Monsters. I know Slash fans and Slither fans are not used to this kind of sound and I can understand why it would hurt their ears. But that is the way Robin plays guitar. Strident and piercing.

Shacklermyrye wrote:

Credit to D.. from MYGNR Beltrami got back to him, this is a quite revealing post, they were always different songs

Marco Beltrami was kind enough to answer me a second time, can't believe he's so kind and took the time, what a great guy! Sadly he doesn't remember Monsters former name. He does remember a song being quite long but unsure if it was The General or another one. But if it was, it's not The General we have, as apparently there was a longer song he worked on (but he's unsure whether that long song was The General back then, maybe it's Seven or another one we haven't heard).

Just to be clear, he did listen to the leaks, I wanted to make sure he understood and could compare with what he remembers, and what we have has been modified from when he worked on those, so I guess it's hard for him to properly remember specific former names. But he does recognize those two songs & his work, and they weren't a single song back then (just like we have a hard time understanding how they could form a single song, as it is). The instrumental part isn't meant to form a continuity between this version of The General, and this version of Monsters, both instrumental were specific creations of his. Each 8 songs he's worked on/arranged had a specific arrangement meant for a particular song.

So it almost confirms for me that Monsters is indeed Soul Monster. And 100% confirms that those "The General" and "Monsters" we have are different songs.

I hope this clarifies things for everyone, now I can only hope Axl will someday clarify more things for us, and 100% confirm this is Soul Monster.

Can't wait for December 8th. Considering the credits things stating "The General and Monsters" as a single song, not everyone agreeing it's Slash & Duff on both songs, we might be in for more surprises! In "worst case scenario", we'll have a better mix/audio quality.

Do you have quotes on who Beltrami thinks did the solos on The General and Monsters? That would put the issue to bed because he's an expert and a professional in the business.

Sky Dog wrote:
Trin9498 wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

End like you begin and have the heavy shit in the middle!

dave-gnfnr
 Rep: 16 

dave-gnfnr wrote:
Shacklermyrye wrote:
misterID wrote:

Shacklermyrye, so you have the ability to edit/remix these songs? I wonder what General would sound like with like the end ending of Circus Maximus would sound like. It feels like a pretty abrupt ending

I'm working on them a bit yeah. I'm not trying to do some mad mashup though and i don't really want to throw loads of fan mixes of these songs online. All i'm really trying to change is bring the strings up a bit, lower the guitars in places, & center Axl's vocals so that there not panned all over the place. It's actually been easier to clean up beltrami's stuff from the live intro than from these leaks. It may actually be easier to isolate them from live performances of the songs (if they ever play them).

Without doing a mashup, the only thing you really need to do is fix Axls vocals on The General so they dont go so loud on the chorus.

carlossacanell
 Rep: 1 

Sky Dog wrote:
Trin9498 wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

End like you begin and have the heavy shit in the middle!

Yes. They should rework the final parts in both songs

Shacklermyrye
 Rep: 14 

dave-gnfnr wrote:
Shacklermyrye wrote:
misterID wrote:

Shacklermyrye, so you have the ability to edit/remix these songs? I wonder what General would sound like with like the end ending of Circus Maximus would sound like. It feels like a pretty abrupt ending

I'm working on them a bit yeah. I'm not trying to do some mad mashup though and i don't really want to throw loads of fan mixes of these songs online. All i'm really trying to change is bring the strings up a bit, lower the guitars in places, & center Axl's vocals so that there not panned all over the place. It's actually been easier to clean up beltrami's stuff from the live intro than from these leaks. It may actually be easier to isolate them from live performances of the songs (if they ever play them).

Without doing a mashup, the only thing you really need to do is fix Axls vocals on The General so they dont go so loud on the chorus.

I'm going to do that and remove the vocals at the end. I have also put the trumpets back in (badapplesforum will be thrilled) Ending sounds much better with less vocals.

dave-gnfnr
 Rep: 16 

dave-gnfnr wrote:
Shacklermyrye wrote:
dave-gnfnr wrote:
Shacklermyrye wrote:

I'm going to do that and remove the vocals at the end. I have also put the trumpets back in (badapplesforum will be thrilled) Ending sounds much better with less vocals.

Oh nice

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:
darknemus wrote:

I'm sorry, but if you think ANY of the CD tracks we've heard leaks of beforehand or Perhaps or Absurd or Hardskool are different vocal takes, I'm going to suggest you rethink that position.

Now, we do know there are ALTERNATE vocal takes (presumably recorded in the same general timeframe) for at least one song (TIL) and there are some SLIGHT variations on a few CD tracks that might be where alternate vocal take stuff had been inserted but I'm 'sorry' (lol, see what I did there?) - basically all the stuff we've listened to out of GNR in the last 15+ years was recorded closer to 25+ years ago, at least vocally. Obviously, you have stuff like 'Rock The Rock' that serve as an anomaly to this.. but, yeah.. I mean hell, even the original IRS leak played on Trunk's show so long ago was essentially the exact same vocals we got on the album.

I'm not suggesting, btw, that Axl hasn't been in the studio recently and recorded.. for all we know, they've recorded 10+ brand new tracks together - I'm just suggesting WE haven't heard any Rose vocals recorded post, let's say 2002 with the exception of what's on "Angel Down" and of course, the aforementioned 'Rock The Rock'.

We can only go by logic and what evidence we have - and thanks to the locker leaks we do have some decent evidence of vox matches to things we heard 'released' years after they were recorded.. just sayin'

We have heard 05-07 vocals, some of that was on CD. Issue is a lot of that timeframe was recording additional vocal layers to already recorded songs so it's hard to pick out.

I think Shackler was a late recorded one, if those lyrics are inspired by Virginia Tech like Axl claimed they'd have to be.

Board footer