You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

Re: Blind Melon

Fuck, man. Travis' voice is really good, and I thought a second album by the new Blind Melon could've stacked up against the old material. I will probably take the band's side of this one, they've been pretty level-headed for all these years.

On the flip side, I'd love to see them perform with Chris Shinn. His voice is phenomenal and very different from Shannon's - they're both high pitched but that's it. How he would handle the songs would be cool to see. Hopefully some good bootlegs pop up - I wonde rif they'll play much Travis material.

It'll probably take them a very long time to find a full time singer, and I doubt they'll ever put out an album again.

nugdafied wrote:
Communist China wrote:

I thought a second album by the new Blind Melon could've stacked up against the old material.

ummmmm.................no.

Will
 Rep: 227 

Will wrote:

Only just heard about Travis bailing now so went to check an email I received from BM the other day:

"Hey Melonheads,

We've made an effort to prepare for the tour with Chris Shinn, but there is not enough time. We are canceling the tour outright and will now start to shovel our way out of this enormous mess. Chris made a super effort to try to prepare for the tour, but it's just too much to ask of him to get up to speed on all these songs in 2 days. It is not fair of us to keep promoters hanging on while we cancel the tour show by show, and it is certainly not fair to ya'll to drag this out. We are not cool with doing something unless we know it is going to be up to snuff, and it is just doubtful that we would be there by Monday. We will have more news about what our plans are concerning the future this week, as well as information on how those of you who purchased tickets can be refunded. We're sorry for the confusion, the bad vibes, the drama and the letdowns. We understand the disappointment and anger that you feel towards us. We are angry and disappointed too. We aim to make it up to yo!
u soon.....

B. Melon
11/8/08"

If you have any comments or questions, please visit the following link.
http://blindmelons.proboards19.com/inde … 522&page=1

I think its time they dropped the name Blind Melon. They should continue making music together, throw in a few Blind Melon songs for shits and giggles, just don't use that name.

smile

Communist China

Blind Melon is a Band. That has always been their motto. I think Travis fit in with them great on stage and the show I saw was BM, not 'Shannon's old backing band and some kid singing'. I love Shannon's work as much as possible, but to me it's still BM without him.

It'd be too weird to have them be in a band that did BM covers all the time - which they would do. And every article, review, or interview would call them 'the guys from Blind Melon'. They made the decision to continue on in 97-98, they did so again in 06-08, so they might as well try to find another vocalist and do it again.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

They should get Evan Dando. He's from that era, a good singer/songwriter, and not doing much lately. IIRC he doesn't mind playing small clubs. Even played a relatively small bar around here a couple years ago.

Communist China

http://rapidshare.com/files/169299250/T … tracks.rar

Shannon Hoon acoustic demos. 8 tracks. 5 became Melon songs. If you liked the old band you should absolutely check this out. Nel Hoon (Shannon's mother) put it up for the fans a month ago. It's just Shannon singing playing guitar and harmonica on single-take demos.

jorge76
 Rep: 59 

jorge76 wrote:
Communist China wrote:

http://rapidshare.com/files/169299250/T … tracks.rar

Shannon Hoon acoustic demos. 8 tracks. 5 became Melon songs. If you liked the old band you should absolutely check this out. Nel Hoon (Shannon's mother) put it up for the fans a month ago. It's just Shannon singing playing guitar and harmonica on single-take demos.

Thanks a lot man, I love being able to see the genisis of songs like that. 

Plus it's awesome to have a not answering machine message version of Letters From A Porcupine.  Not to mention the unheard songs.  Awesome

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

i'll ahve to give thisa listen

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

anyone read the bio

"a devil on one shoulder, an angel on the other"

was wondering if i should look into tracking it down

Communist China

I read it - it's just a bunch of interview transcripts from people, so it lacks a narrative really. Still, if you're interested in Shannon it's a lot of material. There's some mentions of other groups that were around at the time as well, which is sort of cool. Some cool photos in there too. I don't know, I liked it more than Slash's book, but it wasn't great.

Board footer