You are not logged in. Please register or login.

sic.
 Rep: 150 

Re: Robin back in NIN. Temp or not is the question?

sic. wrote:
starsko wrote:

I understand that you want to remain positive and maybe you are right. But it is doubtful that Reznor would hire Finck for just one leg of a world tour.
Obviously at this point it's all about speculation, that's why NIN fans are already hoping that NIN with Finck will play in Europe in 2009...

I do want to see Finck with NIN in Europe. 19

However, this may also be a temporary solution for Trent. While wrapping up the tour last year, he spoke about exploring new avenues for the live shows.

"The idea of five guys playing loud music two hours, while it's the culmination of fine tuning over a lot of years, has got to change once finances come into play, especially performing in markets outside of the mainland U.S. I want to whittle things down." - Starbulletin

By now, there was supposed to be a new lineup or a "new configuration" for NIN Live. Instead, Jeordie White return to Manson after getting fed up with Trent (now that's a first) and Aaron North was replaced by Robin. Otherwise, the live band remains the same. Trent toured the US last in late '06, six months before the release of Year Zero. Therefore, I'm sort of worried that Trent postponed the final kiss-off of a traditional five-piece live band in order to do one more US tour, a one final hurrah with Robin, his dearest lead guitarist.

NIN may go on to Europe in '09, but I'm not all that certain who'll go with Trent and what sort of a performance it'll be.

elmir
 Rep: 53 

elmir wrote:

i agree with sic....Robin lasted this long, and there is no way he'd surrender just like that...not after all this time....unless he knows something we don't...i tend to think that he is just going out to earn some extra money, while he can...it appears that the schedule of this is not conflicting with anything GNR is or is not doing, so there is no real conflict of interest there either....

he's a fucking genius, he plays those appetite songs like a machine, and i for one would be really sad to see him go from gnr...as sad as i was when bucket left....

here's hoping this is nothing more than a "field trip"...

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
elmir wrote:

he's a fucking genius, he plays those appetite songs like a machine

What?  I admit he's better on AFD than the UYI stuff, but he's not really good at any of it.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
elmir wrote:

he's a fucking genius, he plays those appetite songs like a machine

What?  I admit he's better on AFD than the UYI stuff, but he's not really good at any of it.

well some people think Robin's a good dancer 16 i admit though that robin was far more impressive in '06 than he was in '02...

downliner wrote:
sic. wrote:

I'd wait for a comment from Irving Azoff before jumping into too drastic conclusions. Come ol' boy, this is your first on GNR damage control! Show some of that professionalism!

I think they managed GNR damage control pretty well. We endure months of silence followed by three bullshit updates so fans believe the ChiDem release may finally in motion.

Imo, GNR knew in advance that Robin was planning to head back out on tour with NIN so they had to throw together a few updates prior to Trent making his announcement.

Months of absolute silence followed by news that the lead guitarist was heading out on a world tour with NIN would have killed the fanbase.

Azoff and Gould have probably been on board for a few months but withheld making an announcement until the release was actually in motion.

I'm not expecting an update from GNR on this. Nor am I expecting my free Dr. Pepper. I'll just enjoy a few months of silence smile

I for one think Downliner has a great point.   We get these updates that are seemingly leading us to believe the wheels are in motion and we've been down that road before mind you, only to be followed up by this news.   I think their new management did do it's damage control already.

I hope that GNR will comment on this and let us know if this is temporary or permanent.   I am sure it'll take about 3 months or more to get that answer 19

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

sic.
 Rep: 150 

sic. wrote:
downliner wrote:

I'm not expecting an update from GNR on this. Nor am I expecting my free Dr. Pepper. I'll just enjoy a few months of silence smile

Since when has a lead guitar player left GNR without any comment?

Slash left in '96, Axl sent a fax to MTV.

Robin left in '99, Axl spoke about the matter within three months to Kurt Loder. A label spokesperson also commented the matter the minute Robin's departure became official.

Bucket left in '04, in a matter of weeks Axl sent out an open letter on the subject.

If Robin has left for good, someone will eventually take a stand on the matter. Robin himself realizes his own situation and appreciates the fact that the GNR fanbase as a whole is a bunch of anxious motherfuckers (face it, we are). I trust he'll be personally commenting the situation as it develops, as he's a stand-up guy, he did it before with the RIR4 cancellation, for example.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:
sic. wrote:

Bucket left in '04, in a matter of weeks Axl sent out an open letter on the subject.

haha karma 16

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

I think we all can agree that this is not a positive thing for Axl or Guns N Roses, Chinese Democracy-wise. It's a major setback.

Backslash
 Rep: 80 

Backslash wrote:
DCK wrote:

I think we all can agree that this is not a positive thing for Axl or Guns N Roses, Chinese Democracy-wise. It's a major setback.

I'm not agreeing to that until there's confirmation that Robin's no longer part of the band.  As far as we know right now, Robin's just with NIN until something happens album-wise from GNR.  I mean, logic would tell you that GNR wouldn't do ANOTHER tour without releasing an album.  Well, until an album comes out, the guys in the band can do whatever they want.  Finck could audition to be Weiland's replacement in VR for all I care at the moment.  It doesn't matter until we know for sure that he's out of Guns N' Roses.  If the band had a tour planned or album release planned, then yes, this would be a big deal.  Otherwise, it's just another band member staying occupied until something happens again.  No different than Tommy touring with Soul Asylum or Ron doing his solo work.

Board footer