You are not logged in. Please register or login.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

Re: Robin back in NIN. Temp or not is the question?

buzzsaw wrote:
DCK wrote:

The band survived losing it's 2 guitarists with the most impact on it's sound (Slash and Izzy), it can survive losing Robin and any other member yet to appear on an album without skipping a beat.

No they can't. The situations are not the same.

You're right - it was more difficult to replace Izzy and Slash and the past 15 years prove that. 

Axl could scrap this whole project and start all over.  Guess what?  Someone will let him do it because he's Axl Rose.  In the eyes of the rest of the world, nobody in this band other than Axl matters...nobody.  Not Robin, not Dizzy, not BH...nobody.  Sure, a few thousand people on the internet care, but far less than the number that cared as recent as a year ago and that number keeps shrinking.  In the big scheme of things, there would be a far bigger response to a reunion than a CD release if either happened today.  Again, a few on the internet would care about CD, but far more casual music fans would go nuts for a reunion.  That is the reality regardless of who likes it and who doesn't.

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:
sic. wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

I can't believe some of the posts I'm reading.  Axl and Robin have grown together?  Doing what?

On-stage chemistry.

Frontman and lead guitarist are pretty vital members in a band like GNR. Both had been uneven before the '06 tour.

I thought Bucket was unreplaceable. He was replaced on stage, while he's still featured on the record. Ironically, Robin would turn out to be even harder to replace.

Robin is as replaceable as BH was or anybody else in the new band has been.  People always say you can't replace so and so, then they do and everything stays the same.  Robin is no different.  Sorry.  If they can replace the guy mostly responsible for writing AFD (Izzy) and creating the band's musical sound (Slash), they can replace ANYBODY not named Axl Rose.

sic.
 Rep: 150 

sic. wrote:
DCK wrote:

Frontman and lead guitarist are pretty vital members in a band like GNR

But of course, let them go and play with other big bands.

I imagine Slash in Motley Crue or something when GNR was off tour and wasnt recording Illusion. 16

I imagine Slash performing with Michael Jackson, having his own band, doing soundtracks, and appearing with fellow musicians on various festivals and such.

The reason he never went to another 'big' band at the time was because he specifically wanted Snakepit to be a smaller venue act than GNR. But he did get around to play those big venues outside the GNR banner while still in the band, make no mistake on that.

buzzsaw wrote:

If they can replace the guy mostly responsible for writing AFD (Izzy) and creating the band's musical sound (Slash), they can replace ANYBODY not named Axl Rose.

I'd liken the replacement of Bucket to the replacement of Izzy. Gilby and Ron were both signed on as mainly touring members. The fact that Bucket stays (while, say, Brain re-recorded Josh Freese's parts) speaks for itself.

When Slash left, Axl was left with a record he couldn't finish/release, because he needed someone with Slash's sound to get the job done. That's one of the main reasons GNR imploded with half an album in the can in '96. Slash was unreplaceable in his own right. I do admit that Robin can likely be replaced by a touring substitute and he has enough guitar parts in the can to appear on more than one album, but it's still a loss. Bucket and Ron aren't the same, but Ron's probably the best person available for the job. If Robin would walk, GNR would have to go through the same thing again with Robin's substitute and hope he'd fit the band and wouldn't backtrack the overall sound too much, as a good deal of it rests on Robin's shoulders whether you like it or not.

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

I can't believe some of the posts I'm reading.  Axl and Robin have grown together?  Doing what?  Not being in the same place 99% of the time?  Jesus.  Who cares if he's gone or not?  The band survived losing it's 2 guitarists with the most impact on it's sound (Slash and Izzy), it can survive losing Robin and any other member yet to appear on an album without skipping a beat.

lol

only cause i partially agree

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

This is supposed to be a band. I never saw GNR as Axl plus a bunch of others playing. I always saw it as a band and Axl too judging from what he said about everyone contributing. Now, one major line up change is ok with me if the situation is right, but another one? A band just cant keep on changing key members! That's not a band to me but a fucking business company and I won't have it.

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:
DCK wrote:

This is supposed to be a band. I never saw GNR as Axl plus a bunch of others playing. I always saw it as a band and Axl too judging from what he said about everyone contributing. Now, one major line up change is ok with me if the situation is right, but another one? A band just cant keep on changing key members! That's not a band to me but a fucking business company and I won't have it.

Unfortuantely, Axl made it exactly that...a company with employees.  It ceased to be a band before any of these guys were hired.

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:
DCK wrote:

beta?

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

Unfortuantely, Axl made it exactly that...a company with employees.  It ceased to be a band before any of these guys were hired.

He made the band contribute, he made them write songs. He was specifically asking them to contribute as much as possible so it would be a band and not Axl Rose project. He can't do both. He have to settle for one thing. What you say is partially true, but judging from how this album was done, it's not right. If it's like you say and if it's like what I say, Axl is playing two things at the same time and that just won't work.

sic. wrote:

Now Robin looks like he's taken his GNR look, shaved a little facial hair and taken it to NIN. The funny thing is, I wouldn't mind if he'd look like that in GNR. Axl and Robin have grown so together in the past years, I personally think it's a great opportunity for both to have Robin check out the NIN camp again, pick up some new tricks and try out his wings as someone who has a chance to challenge Trent as far as stage presence goes, and then come back to Axl at least one more step away from all those Slash comparisons.

fucking brilliant post man.   Axl and Robin are the perfect frontman/lead guitar combo, I really hope we see them on stage together again.

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:
DCK wrote:

He made the band contribute, he made them write songs. He was specifically asking them to contribute as much as possible so it would be a band and not Axl Rose project. He can't do both. He have to settle for one thing. What you say is partially true, but judging from how this album was done, it's not right. If it's like you say and if it's like what I say, Axl is playing two things at the same time and that just won't work.

Well, it's worked out great so far?  16

I get what you're saying.  I wish it wasn't the way it is.  There are a lot of things that should have been done differently by a lot of different people.  This isn't all Axl's fault, though I believe it's more his fault than anybody else's.  A lot of bad things happened to allow the old band to split anyway and not much that's happened since then has been good either.  Sure, there have been moments of things looking good, but everytime things start looking up, something happens that not only screws up the positive momentum, it actually makes it worse than it was before.  This is just the latest in a long line of "misfortunes" that at some point need to stop being looked at as coincidental.

Board footer