You are not logged in. Please register or login.

war
 Rep: 108 

Re: Del James comments on Robins status

war wrote:
elmir wrote:
madagas wrote:

The recording is done and there are no tour plans.

i so want to agree with you on this one....but the realist in me reckons that the album is "done" the same way it was in 2002, 2006 and 2007....and wasn't really handed in to the label...well, not in its final format at least...a few sample copies were sent for comments....but not the final master...

and the most patient person in the gnr saga....Mr Robin himself....has had enough of waiting...

if he decided to do a stint with Cirque du Soleil....or even a solo album....then it would be more comforting...

but NIN is whats making me feel all uncomfortable....

as much as i hate to say this....i think we're in for another very long period of silence, after which we will be introduced to another new band member....whose presence still needs to be felt on the album somehow....so we'll go back into the studio....

did beta, del james, and bandmembers all come out and say the album was done those times?

i am not being a smart ass - i do not know, i am fairly new to the forums/news/rumor thing.

elmir
 Rep: 53 

elmir wrote:
madagas wrote:

done in the sense that the band is NOT needed....

yeah, if we take into consideration that Axl will be doing the final compositions and being the "collage" artist at the end....sure, the band members' availability may not be crucial at the moment...

but history tells us a different story....no matter how good his relations are with his guys, the minute one of them "deflects" to someone else....he throws a tantrum of sorts...

the question is...do we see Robin's move as a "deflection"....or "killing time"....?

I see it as a "deflection"....which leads me to believe that we're fucked....

elmir
 Rep: 53 

elmir wrote:
war wrote:

did beta, del james, and bandmembers all come out and say the album was done those times?

i am not being a smart ass - i do not know, i am fairly new to the forums/news/rumor thing.

they have.

they also have done so many times in the past.
fuck, even Duff said that they were finished in 1997/98.

it tells us nothing, it confirms nothing.
they're beginning to sound like a broken record.

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Aussie wrote:
war wrote:
elmir wrote:
madagas wrote:

The recording is done and there are no tour plans.

i so want to agree with you on this one....but the realist in me reckons that the album is "done" the same way it was in 2002, 2006 and 2007....and wasn't really handed in to the label...well, not in its final format at least...a few sample copies were sent for comments....but not the final master...

and the most patient person in the gnr saga....Mr Robin himself....has had enough of waiting...

if he decided to do a stint with Cirque du Soleil....or even a solo album....then it would be more comforting...

but NIN is whats making me feel all uncomfortable....

as much as i hate to say this....i think we're in for another very long period of silence, after which we will be introduced to another new band member....whose presence still needs to be felt on the album somehow....so we'll go back into the studio....

Well Beta in her interview with Classic Rock magazine said "the album is done everyone knows that". Which I thought was fucken rude and arrogant because nobody had offically been told that was the case, it was all forum speculation etc.

Anyhow, this whole concept of hired guns and employees etc annoys the crap outta me!!!  A band is a band - none of this shit about this is my band and I have just hired you to play guitars or appear on the US tour etc.  Fucken hell it's about rock n' roll, this whole contrived thing about contracts etc is a joke!  I know Mick Jagger (who really impressed Axl years ago) runs the thing like a big company etc, but fuck it's a band, it's supposed to be fun, you are not running Microsoft.  Sure you could treat it like that is the case but you lose something if you do - and that something is the essence of the rock n roll spirit.

More power to Finck for thumbing his nose (if that is indeed what he has done) to Axl and the GN'R corporation.

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:
elmir wrote:
madagas wrote:

done in the sense that the band is NOT needed....

yeah, if we take into consideration that Axl will be doing the final compositions and being the "collage" artist at the end....sure, the band members' availability may not be crucial at the moment...

but history tells us a different story....no matter how good his relations are with his guys, the minute one of them "deflects" to someone else....he throws a tantrum of sorts...

the question is...do we see Robin's move as a "deflection"....or "killing time"....?

I see it as a "deflection"....which leads me to believe that we're fucked....

the more time i spend on the boards the more my original opinion that the band doesn't owe us anything deflates. i also no longer believe the 'old when ther is news he will update us. this is bullshit. anything can be news and can be updated. the fact that album is done has never officailly been communicated to us anyways. there is no excuse for not putting on the webste "album is finished, working with so and so to figure out a promo, hope to have it out by late '09 after so and so has finished touring." if it hadn't been prmoised multiple times i would say they owe us nothing but that isn't the case. they know we are stressing this and they do not seem to care. if they are pissed too we understand but atleast tell us what is going. i would be fine if they said there will be a delay because of this and that atleast we would know. it's not like the delays ever dissappear when they don't tell us when and why.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

'old when ther is news he will update us. this is bullshit.

Don't buy into that no. They give us news when they FEEL they should give us news, not when it's appropriate to do so, like now.

And this is out of two reasons (and im sure other minor ones too)

1) We don't know ourselves, ergo, we cant give you news.
2) We will give you news when they serve our best interests.

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

Wow, that's bad. Very bad. It seems amazing that the wheels on the CD bus may have finally come all the way off, and we're not sure yet.

Leak it.

Intercourse
 Rep: 212 

Intercourse wrote:

Does it seem odd to anyone that Robin weathers years of shit and now suddenly seems to be acting out with things apparently so near conclusion? I  say that because I note frustration in Del's nmail to Dave which seems to indicate that Robin can be a law unto himself.

What has changed lately that may have caused this sudden move to NIN with no apparent conversation with Axl Inc?
- New Management:
Maybe they are pushing to re-unite the old band? They have a reputation for rescuing bands that are falling apart.

- Buckethead is back
Axl was nice about him in his Dr. Pepper release and mentioned he would be on the album. Again, was I imagining things that Bucket and Robin didn't always see eye to eye?

- Axl is back talking to the old band
With VR on hold who knows what may be going on behind the scenes, especially with Izzy welcome in both camps.

- Robin is just killing time.
Maybe he got word that CD is a while off yet and decided to spend the summer getting a fat check from NIN?? No biggie.

Here is a question for you all to ponder. If the label told Axl that if he reunited the old line up and released CD as a solo album to get that $18M weight off of him do you think there is any possibility he would go for that ???

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
Intercourse wrote:

Here is a question for you all to ponder. If the label told Axl that if he reunited the old line up and released CD as a solo album to get that $18M weight off of him do you think there is any possibility he would go for that ???

I would say it's a possiblility, but not likely.  I think the biggest hangup for a reunion is that Slash, Duff, and Izzy won't accept being contracted employees.  I don't know if Axl will give in on the album being released as a solo album (which it basically is), but I don't see him giving back the rights to the name of the band.  Thus, no long term reunion.  Maybe a couple shows, but that's it.

Intercourse
 Rep: 212 

Intercourse wrote:

Good points Buzz. You're probably right about a long term reunion being a stretch if the contractual stuff can't be worked out between the tw parties.

Still, a world tour could be a $150M gross earning possibility (I base that on revenue the Spice Hags grossed on their tour and it was a short one). Even Izzy might be interested. $20M into your bank account for a years work with your mid to late forties looming; that must be hard to ignore.

I maintain that if the Eagles can do it, then GNR could too. If they could just let the chemicals flow on stage and be adults about the money stuff behind the scenes it's a win win for everone. I bet Axl's album would sell much better off the strength of that publicity plus he would no longer have the burden of proving that he was the true heart of guns n roses and not just a vital part.

I believe that people in general will always prefer to see Izzy, Axl, Slash and Duff play together live rather than the crew Axl has assembled today. You cannot compete with a fairy tale, a brilliant fluke and an album that defined a generation, I think that expectation is placed on them and it's not really fair.

I often wonder does that burden weigh heavily on Robin and the guys? It must if you spend almost a decade of your life writing songs and yet your work still cannot be allowed to represent the band you joined. Maybe Finck just feels he's given enough and that it's time to move on and be respected for what he is, like he is in NIN and by their fans.

Board footer