You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: Dexter (Spoiler Alert)

Neemo wrote:
DoubleTalkingJive wrote:

I think the blood was to symbolize what Dexter is, his love of blood or it's the blood dripping on something white, pure.   They really should have 2 hour finale.   They will continue with everything except for the Miguel Prado storyline next season.

well i dunno how many of you have read the novels but...

Hidden Text:

in one of them Dexter teaches Rita's kids how to be killers

i didnt know if it sybolized that Dex would bring somethign bad to the relationship in that regard

as for the update regard Michael's interview thanks sweetie 15 *karma*

You're welcome!   

I think both you and BLS's take on the blood is very interesting indeed.   Both could be true.   I guess we'll see next season.

dr_love6977
 Rep: 38 

dr_love6977 wrote:

Ok ok ok, just started watching season 3 ondemand. Can anyone give me a cliffnotes version of the first 2 seasons to get me up to date?

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

i would recommend that you actually watch season's 1 and 2 to get te hfull experience...otherwise season 3 might not go over well...if you dont know the characters a bit first.

anyway here's from wikipedia

Season 1

Hidden Text:

Orphaned at the age of three and harboring a traumatic secret, Dexter (Michael C. Hall, Six Feet Under) was adopted by a Miami police officer named Harry Morgan (James Remar), who recognized Dexter's sociopathic tendencies and taught him to channel his gruesome passion for killing by giving it a constructive direction: killing people who deserve it. Most have slipped through the justice system, due to loopholes and technicalities in the law or were never apprehended.

To satisfy his interest in blood and to erase his own crimes, Dexter works as a blood spatter analyst for the Miami Metro Police Department. Although his drive to kill is unflinching (otherwise overcome by a feeling of "emptiness") Dexter is, through extensive instruction from Harry, able to fake normal emotions and keep up his appearance as a socially-responsible human being. Flashbacks throughout the series show how Harry instructs Dexter on the art of appearing normal, and he follows Harry's instructions as a sacred "Code of Harry." In accordance with this code, all of Dexter's victims must be killers themselves who have killed multiple times with no remorse, and Dexter must have proof that they are definitely guilty before he takes action.

Dexter has a girlfriend, Rita Bennett (Julie Benz), whom he dates in order to appear normal. Rita is psychologically damaged from an abusive ex-husband, a violent felon, and is too distraught to want sex. Dexter is unable to fake emotional closeness, something that his girlfriends discover post sex and is inevitably the reason the relationship ends. Dexter hopes to keep up the facade of normalcy by never engaging in sex with Rita. Dexter does have genuine affection for and feels comfortable with Rita and her two children, Astor and Cody.

The first season focuses mostly on "The Ice Truck Killer" - a serial killer eluding the Miami PD who is communicating with Dexter through his crime scenes. Dexter's adoptive sister Debra (Jennifer Carpenter) begins dating Rudy, who is revealed to the audience to be the Ice Truck Killer. At the end of the season, Rudy attempts to kill Debra, but is stopped by Dexter. Rudy reveals that he is really Dexter's brother, Brian Moser. Dexter has no choice but to kill him in order to save Debra; he makes Brian's death look like a suicide.

Dexter uses his calculated charm to become well-liked by all of his colleagues, with the exception of Sgt. James Doakes (Erik King), who repeatedly calls him a freak and openly accuses him of being up to something, although he is never sure what it is exactly. The tension between the two is an ongoing plot motif.

Doakes senses a connection between Dexter and the Ice Truck Killer, but is not sure what it is. He starts tailing Dexter because of his personal suspicions. Rita's ex-husband, set up by Dexter for a felony parole violation, is back in prison proclaiming his innocence, and points Rita to a clue to the truth about Dexter. The season ends with Dexter and his sister entering a crime scene, with Dexter imagining a tickertape parade for himself, complete with confetti and airplane fly-over, and the crowd praising him for his fine work "taking out the garbage" (i.e. killing those who prey on the weak and vulnerable).

Season 2

Hidden Text:

New cast members for this season include Jaime Murray as Lila, an artist who is a former meth addict and arsonist who becomes Dexter’s sponsor (and later his lover), Keith Carradine as FBI Special Agent Frank Lundy and JoBeth Williams as Rita's mother Gail. The role of Rita's son Cody was re-cast, and in Season 2 was played by child actor Preston Bailey.

Dexter begins the season unable to satisfy his urges for over a month, due to the constant surveillance by Sgt. Doakes. When the opportunity to kill arises, he has problems executing his victims after killing his brother at the end of season 1.

To further complicate matters, treasure hunters discover Dexter's underwater dumping ground for his victims. As the police extract body part after body part from the ocean, the media dubs the killer the "Bay Harbor Butcher", and FBI Special Agent Lundy (played by Keith Carradine) is brought in to catch the "Butcher."

A cult following begins to form behind the "Butcher" when it is discovered that his victims were themselves responsible for deaths. Dexter even finds that a comic-book character, "The Dark Defender", was created in his honor where he comically states as he looks at the poster, "Nah, it's too hot to wear all that leather in Miami".

Rita's relationship with Dexter becomes more tense as she and her children are dealing with the death of her ex-husband Paul, who was killed in a prison fight. Paul's repeated suggestion that Dexter was to blame for his imprisonment eats at Rita's conscience and eventually Rita accuses Dexter of setting up her ex-husband. Dexter admits to setting up Paul, but Rita refuses to believe that Dexter premeditated the crime and assumes that Dexter is a heroin addict. He acquiesces to "having an addiction", though he characteristically allows her misinterpretation to go without clarification; in return, she vows to stay with him while he goes through the Narcotics Anonymous program. In this way, Dexter avoids responsibility for Paul's death (though he set the process in motion) and consequently maintains the rationalization that he only (directly) kills people who are murderers. Doakes continues to pursue Dexter until he encounters Dexter leaving a NA meeting. Doakes seems satisfied that Dexter's odd behavior and apparent drug use can be explained by traumatic experiences as a career police officer.

Debra continues to struggle with the trauma of her experience with the Ice Truck Killer combined with all the people recognizing her as the "Ice Truck Killer's" girl. For a sense of safety and comfort, she stays with her brother, another new source of stress in Dexter's life.

Throughout Season 2, Dexter is pursued by Special Agent Lundy, while both Debra's affection for Lundy and her confidence in her own detective skills grow. Doakes' suspicions about Dexter are revived, and he ultimately discovers Dexter's collection of glass slides containing blood sample souvenirs from all of his victims. The possibility of matching the slides hidden in Dexter's air conditioner with the bodies of the Butcher's victims sets up a climactic episode in which Doakes confronts Dexter at a drug dealer's remote cabin. Despite receiving a gunshot wound in the leg, Dexter overpowers Doakes and keeps him locked in the cage inside the cabin while he begins to frame Doakes as the Butcher. Lieutenant LaGuerta, Doakes' former partner, is the only one who believes in Doakes' innocence. She finds evidence of Doakes' innocence and takes it to Lundy, but he tells her that the evidence is tainted by her previous failure to report Doakes' telephone conversation to the investigation team. Lundy rejects LaGuerta's case files, though he believes she may be correct about Doakes' innocence.

Near the end of the season, Doakes escapes from the cage temporarily and is recaptured by Dexter after being threatened by two drug dealers. Dexter struggles with his life as a serial killer, thanks to revelations throughout the season regarding Harry Morgan, his foster father. Dexter learns that Harry was sleeping with Dexter's biological mother before she died and that Harry took his own life after walking in on Dexter in the middle of a murder, unable to deal with the reality of the monster he had created. With his confidence in the Code of Harry and himself destroyed and exhausted from having to maintain his "mask" for so long, Dexter plays out the possible resulting scenarios in his head of turning himself in. Dexter's events on his last day of freedom include having Deb review his will, having a final dinner with her, and taking Rita and the kids out on the boat. During the "last meal" with Deb, he realizes how much she depended on him to resolve her feelings about the murder attempt by the Ice Truck Killer and decides to continue with his original plan of framing Doakes as the "Bay Harbor Butcher."

In the season finale, Lila finds the cabin where Doakes was imprisoned and causes a propane tank explosion, blowing up both Doakes and the corpse of one of Dexter's victims and preventing Dexter from being named as a serial killer. Lila then meets with Dexter, expecting him to accept her love now that she knows his dark secret. She catches him preparing to kill her and seeks revenge by trying to kill Rita's children and Dexter. Dexter manages to save the children and escape and then exacts his own revenge on her after she has fled to Paris. In the closing scenes, Doakes' memorial service goes largely unattended, with the exception of LaGuerta, Dexter, and Doakes' immediate family. Expressing the logic of Dexter's mental world, the final words in the series are a voice-over of his thoughts on the recent events. We hear that he now considers himself the master of the techniques his father taught him. Dexter believes this combined with the fact that Harry knew himself to be wrong about the code gives Dexter the right to rewrite that code and to live his life the way he wishes. He also states that he now needs those relationships that he originally cultivated as disguises in order to fit into society, even though they make him vulnerable. He considers himself, "An idea transcended into life."

Season 2 premiered on September 30, 2007. On July 17, the first two episodes of the season were leaked on the internet, and on December 4, the last two episodes were also leaked. On November 4th, 2007, the Writer’s Guild of America started a strike, but writer Daniel Cerone stated in the L.A. Times that Season 2 had already been completed in anticipation of the WGA’s action.

dr_love6977
 Rep: 38 

dr_love6977 wrote:

Ok cool. It's not hard to get into the story. I started at the top of the 3rd season and caught on immediately. The only thing I didn't know about was 'the code' and why his Dad was terrible. I just wanted to know a little backstory too.

Neemo

Neemo wrote:

anyone watching this season? i'm behind but have seen 6 episodes in the last 3 days....(i need to watch 2 more tomorrow to be ready for episode 11 on sunday

Stepvhen
 Rep: 58 

Stepvhen wrote:

Im watching Im a little behind also I think Im back on ep8. Good season very different. If Rita cheats on he should stab her in the Jaw!

Neemo

Neemo wrote:

wow..just finished episode 9.....holy fucking hell

alexh0618
 Rep: 14 

alexh0618 wrote:

This is probably the best season yet. John Lithgow is great!

Neemo

Neemo wrote:

DAMN!!!

next week is gonna be good! i'm all caught up just in time smile

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:

Yeah, I caught up too.  The last 3 eps have been very good, aside from the Angel/Laguerta stuff, which I hate.  Lithgow is far better than Jimmy Smits was last year.  I love how he can switch from nice charming guy to menace in a few seconds.

Board footer