You are not logged in. Please register or login.

NY Giants82
 Rep: 26 

Re: METALLICA Discussion

NY Giants82 wrote:

Ahh I had always heard that St Anger would be aggressive but would be different. Even a few months before the album hit, I heard that there were no solos and it was a different direction. I just hoped it wasnt true.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:
NY Giants82 wrote:

Ahh I had always heard that St Anger would be aggressive but would be different. Even a few months before the album hit, I heard that there were no solos and it was a different direction. I just hoped it wasnt true.

weird...i heard it was gonna be a throwback to pre black album material and that it was really agressive

i wasnt really follwoing it supre close though leading up to the release

NY Giants82
 Rep: 26 

NY Giants82 wrote:
Neemo wrote:
NY Giants82 wrote:

weird...i heard it was gonna be a throwback to pre black album material and that it was really agressive

i wasnt really follwoing it supre close though leading up to the release

Yeah I remember hearing comparisons to Meshuggah. In any event, hopefully this is a throwback album. I think they got the message on St Anger.:mosh:

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:
bigbri wrote:

I'll believe it when I hear it. They said the same thing about St. Anger.

Um no, actually they didn't.

The only people who talked up Metallica returning to the sound of the 80's on St Anger were the ones hopeful of it actually happening.

As a pretty big fan myself, I can assure you the band never said they were going back to their old style. I read that they claimed St Anger to be an ugly, in-yer-face, punk metal album with some of the speed of their earlier material, which was their own response to the polished-production of their previous 3 studio albums. Which it pretty much was.

So the fact that they are actually saying their new stuff does reflect their 80's albums this time, maybe it will. 9

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

LARS ULRICH Says New METALLICA Album Will Be Released In September - Mar. 10, 2008 

According to NME.com, METALLICA drummer Lars Ulrich has announced that the group's follow-up to 2003's "St Anger" will be released this September.

The band has been recording the as-yet-untitled record in Los Angeles with producer Rick Rubin.

Speaking to IRON MAIDEN singer Bruce Dickinson on the March 7 edition of Bruce's weekly BBC 6 Music radio show, Ulrich said: "We're just finishing up a record, we've got six weeks left and it should be out in September, that's the idea right now."

He added: "I like what I've heard so far. I'm not one of the great sellers of 'the new record's the best thing we've ever done and it shits all over the last record and it's way heavier'. I'm not a great believer in all that horseshit."

"I like it and I'm one of METALLICA's harshest critics. So far it feels pretty good but there's still plenty of time to fuck it up, so let's see what happens."

Lars recently told Revolver magazine that the group's new material "is certainly a lot more dynamic and a lot more varied than the last couple of go-rounds," adding, "There's a lot of light and shade in these songs. There's heavy, fast, nutty stuff, and then there's some slowdowns and musical interludes." Ulrich also said that the album has more in common with some of the group's '80s releases than more recent offerings like "St. Anger" and "Load".

Ulrich wouldn't agree that the yet-to-be-titled disc is a full-blown return to the past, saying, "I hate to be that specific, because six months from now people are gonna go, 'What the fuck? Lars lied to us!' But it feels that way to me."

The drummer also revealed that producer Rick Rubin, working with the band for the first time, wanted METALLICA to use classic efforts like "Ride the Lightning" and "Master of Puppets" as "reference points" for its new songs.

Man, that sounds great.

I can't wait for it to come out - but I wish that they'll be able to release it sooner.

AtariLegend wrote:
CrimeSlunkScene wrote:

Man, that sounds great.

I can't wait for it to come out - but I wish that they'll be able to release it sooner.

The two "new songs" they played live on the last tour.... sucked.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

Me too, I was hoping for a Summer release. I just hope Sept doesn't get pushed back a few more months. Alot of times that happens with albums.

AtariLegend wrote:

Well, they won't be on the record - at least not in that state.

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:
CrimeSlunkScene wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

Well, they won't be on the record - at least not in that state.

Exactly. I wouldn't be surprised if those songs were not even on the record. Its going to be so entertaining to watch all the Metallica haters get full of hate and start bashing the band when it comes closer to the album being dropped.

Board footer