You are not logged in. Please register or login.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

Re: GNR, Rock Band, the VMAs and 4 albums

buzzsaw wrote:
madagas wrote:

from The PRIEST at velvet rope, a poster who is a very well respected old industry veteran on the rope

"Jimmy still is rumored to have a giant Q4 coming and for those who give a shit, the Chinese Democracy problem is because Mr. Rose has a joint venture with the label and hands are tied until he gives an ok.
One hears that is a money issue.
...You Go Irving!"

"The only other thing that I will reiterate is:
Irving......

Much as I hate to say it, Irving is the man right now and Irving has THE machine.
This will turn into something even more grand.
What he is creating is nothing short of spectacular.
Hats off my friend."

personally, I'd like to know what that "joint venture" is....:ummm:

Reading this a second time, I think the joint venture and something even more grand both refer to a reunion.  The joint venture part means getting CD out and still doing a reunion of some sort.  Not that everything GnR does makes sense, but what else could it be?  Nothing else could be even more grand or nothing short of spectacular. 

When's the last time we heard anything about the VR new singer?

Sky Dog wrote:

That's why I think it is going to be some type of combo....a huge rush of all things Gnr. A reunion is Axl's biggest and baddest bargaining chip with Uni. Cut them in on the deal and the 13 million for Chinese goes away very quickly. 14 Furthermore, I think Robin saw the writing on the wall and split. VR is mighty mighty quiet as well-I agree.

sic.
 Rep: 150 

sic. wrote:

If we think about Axl's situation, he's said to have more than studio album in the making from the CD sessions. With all the corporate shakeups at Geffen/Interscope and the ever-changing landscape of the music world, there's no way he can just walk in and ask Uni for a release. Uni knows that GNR is still one of their biggest names in the roster and no doubt wish to push the brand up to high heaven before CD is released.

Rock Band 2 is a good start, as it introduces the new band to a whole new generation of fans. Not to mention the free publicity comes in abundance. Everybody will know Slash's not in the band anymore.

A reunion is delicate part of the equation. If timed incorrectly, it would seem like Axl's giving away the new band and the new album in order to play with the old boys. Not exactly a good way to boost sales. I'm personally thinking of a special one-off event like the Zeps at the O2, with a live album / DVD. Basically Axl signing off the 90's and making way for the new band. That's something Slash and Duff have always said they'd do instead of a tour - and Izzy's touring commitments aren't fooling anyone.

Reunite before CD release to get it out of the way, release CD. Do the interviews, talks shows, et al. Cue January. Take the new band out, starting from soft markets like South Africa, honing a new setlist into place, with less classics and more new stuff.

Sky Dog wrote:

Sic, I read it as Axl wants more money prior to release and that the album can't be released without his consent. But, then again, that flies in the face of the GH debacle.....unless Axl has started a new deal since then (thus, the joint venture comment). I don't know....but something big is going to happen in the Gnr world in the next few months. Just my opinion.:cool:

sic.

sic. wrote:

The money could be going to marketing et al, the things in which money's usually spent at this hour. Then again, it could also the huge advance Guns spent in the sessions (which was reportedly a multi-million dollar sum), and still he thinks he's entitled to the balance payment upon delivery. CD's rather unique, as the stars had to practically align in order to spend all that money in the blind spot.

Theoretically, Interscope could've seized the late '98 album material by force.

Geffen acts like the bass-heavy rock group Girls Against Boys and the former 'Til Tuesday singer Aimee Mann are in the midst of recording new records using advance money from Geffen. If they are dropped from the label, Interscope would not only still own the music they have already released on Geffen but also the new music they are working on. (A Universal executive, speaking on condition of anonymity, said that in most cases the band would have the option of buying its new music back.) - NYT, 12/21/98

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I think the Joint Venture is CD. We know that at some stage the label shut off funding for the record, and that axl used his personal funds to finish it. The end product is therefore a joint venture between the record company and the other investors (in this case Axl himself) right? I bet it comes back to a "who gets paid first" out of the profits, and is complicated more if Axl used the recording time to make several albums worth of material - how many tracks are owned by the label and how many by axl's cash...and who should be paid back in what order, and who pays for incidental costs like marketing...

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

So how would that equal "something even more grand" or "nothing short of spectacular"??  I don't buy it.

Sky Dog wrote:

Monkey, I think you are right on point about the cd recording sessions and the stalemate over who "owns" the material because it was mastered and finished on Axl's dime. But, I think a reunion is tied in to the bigger picture for sure.

sic.

sic. wrote:

This may be the problem:

"GN'R began work on a new album of original material, drawing from a Geffen advance thought to be around $10 million - Madonna kind of money." - RS, 05/11/00

"Having exceeded all budgeted and approved recording costs by millions of dollars, it is Mr. Rose's obligation to fund and complete the album, not Geffen's." - NYT

Therefore;

- there's around $10 million worth of advance money spent on working on the album
- there's around $3 million worth of label money that Axl has spent going over-budget
- there's the production costs from February '04 to December '07, which may be around $3-5 million - Axl's own dime.

If Axl starts whining about his own expenses, the label can rather easily stir up a fight.

Sky Dog wrote:

and that is the onion....:sick:

Board footer