You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

Re: GNR, Rock Band, the VMAs and 4 albums

misterID wrote:

That guy wasn't a journalist, though. He was a guy from newgnr.com who got into E3. So he
should know better than to post that shit.

For TheMole:

FIRST

Why would they want a reunion? The guys involved are FILTHY RICH, so there are no money
needs here. Plus, you know, they still have their own things going on.

SECOND

After what Slash and Duff went through with Scott, with one of the main complaints being
that he was too much like Axl, what has Axl showed you in these last six years that he is
any different than he used to be? How would that be appealing to them?

THIRD

There would be no album. Period. The most you'd get from a reunion is maybe a few shows
or a set at the Rock N Roll Hall Of Fame. These guys have shown they cannot work together,
plus Axl is Axl in the recording studio. They would all want a say, and why would Axl want to
share that power when he has all the power now. Also because...

FORTH

Izzy would not tour with them. He wouldn't be able to put up with Axl on the road or recording.
And more importantly, with no Izzy, there would be NO REAL REUNION.

FIFTH

As I said before, if Axl had to abandon what he's done with this band it would be an admission
of failure, and he would spite himself and never sing again before he admitted he couldn't make
it with his band and his vision. Not to mention they are WORLDS apart musically. Axl has shown
he can maintain interest on his own with this band for the last 15 years. Slash and Duff have
shown they can be in a platinum selling band without him, making the music THEY want to make.

There is really no reason or incentive for them to get back together, for more than a nostalgia
show or two.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

ereeper
 Rep: 14 

ereeper wrote:

...and the rumours will snowball.  There was already false reports of SR being played on the radio last night.  These rumour starting glory hounds are going to get their rocks off until something real happens.  I swear some fans are Pavlov's dog when the bell rings.

bazgnr
 Rep: 4 

bazgnr wrote:
misterID wrote:

That guy wasn't a journalist, though. He was a guy from newgnr.com who got into E3. So he should know better than to post that shit.

That was my point, although I originally wasn't clear enough.  Before answering any questions on camera, the Harmonix guy should have asked for a pass, credentials, etc. in order to protect himself.  Once he verified that the person asking the questions was legit -  as in, an "on the job," legit reporter (which wasn't the case here) - it's a bit more understandable that he dropped his guard after being told the questions were "off the record."  Again, it's too bad if he sees serious consequences as a result of this...

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

i was gonna say why would a harmonix dude take time out at E3 to spend with a gnr forum person? and then why would a Harmonix guy be privy to GnR release info? all he should know is what the song sounds like...in my mind anyway he didnt come off as a gnr fan so why would he care about that 4 album relase info crap

after mulling it over I smell a bit of bullshit here...

Sky Dog wrote:

I believe we will get one song on the game.....everything else is the same old thing. Crazy rumors that get crazier as the years go by.:laugh:

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

No, he was pretending to be with the press. All you needed was a wristband, which he could have snagged easily. And it was pretty obvious the guy from Harmonix wasn't going to talk too much, giving the standard "I can't talk about that" line and then later got into more of a personal conversation with the guy, which he started recording again. I don't think this was bullshit.

The fact he wasn't a GNR fan gives it all the more creedance.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

however if this is a legit interview and this guy loses his job for it...thats pretty fucking low of the interviewer...what is wrong with people sad

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
misterID wrote:

Why would they want a reunion? The guys involved are FILTHY RICH, so there are no money
needs here. Plus, you know, they still have their own things going on.

They don't need the money..but maybe it's not about money. While VR and the other bands have enjoyed some success. GNR is by far the most recgonisable thing these guys will ever do in their lifetime. They will be harassed  by GNR fans, asked GNR interview questions for the rest of time. When they die, they will be remembered as the founders of GNR. It must be annoying to be that person, and watch other people play shows under your name. Maybe they want their kids to see what they really were back in the day by playing a reunion show and the attention that would bring. Maybe the feel nostalgic about the old friendships. There are many reasons why they might want a reunion.

misterID wrote:

SECOND

After what Slash and Duff went through with Scott, with one of the main complaints being
that he was too much like Axl, what has Axl showed you in these last six years that he is
any different than he used to be? How would that be appealing to them?

I'll partially agree with this one. The reason slash quit GNR was the cancelled shows and late starts that he saw as disrespectful to the rest of the band and fans. This shit hasn't changed. Hiowever even this isn't impossible. Axl is clearly less problamatic than he used to be. There's still late starts..but his record has improved somewhat. Maybe they can be convinced. Also  if  other singers are premadonas...then that could change their view. Turn it around - if Scott and Axl are going to put you through the same shit - why not put up with it in GNR where everything else is maximised? (money, fan respect, fame, potential for hits)

misterID wrote:

THIRD

There would be no album. Period. The most you'd get from a reunion is maybe a few shows
or a set at the Rock N Roll Hall Of Fame. These guys have shown they cannot work together,
plus Axl is Axl in the recording studio. They would all want a say, and why would Axl want to
share that power when he has all the power now.

Axl may eventually come to the realisation that the others in the band have talents that are not easily replaced. Half of why he wanted to take control was the drug issues and things that have now been sorted out.  Time heals wounds. If he has some songs that he thought needed slash's touch - why not call him? Because the Axl of 27 got angry at him? why should the man he is today care about that. And slash and the guys know damn well axl is one of the best  singers in the world. That 1995 interview with slash that neemo posted the other day showed that slash will come to the table to sort out shit even after there's been a lot of trouble. All he needs is some validation that there's an intent for things to be different.

misterID wrote:

FORTH
Izzy would not tour with them. He wouldn't be able to put up with Axl on the road or recording.

Agreed..for us fanboys. But the general public wouldn't give a shit. How often is VR refered to as 3/5 of GNR? No one cares than Matt was the 2nd drummer. The general public wants to see Axl + Slash together and will except any line up with those two as a legitimate GNR, with Duff as well the deal is sealed. They could use richard, gliby, or anyone else for a tour without any issue. Recording wise - well slash and izzy already had a CD or more of GNR songs ready to go a few years ago that never came to anything I think.

misterID wrote:

FIFTH

As I said before, if Axl had to abandon what he's done with this band it would be an admission
of failure, and he would spite himself and never sing again before he admitted he couldn't make
it with his band and his vision.

Agreed - IF he did it with no album. What if he releases 4 albums this year in one hit. Thus equaling the ENTIRE output of the old band!!! That's no failure!!! Once he has done that - what then? Go hire new people to replace robin and record a new album? Just as easy to call slash. Musically there are some differences...but at least 50% of the leaks we have could have been done by the old band...theres still a hell of a lot of similarities for them to find common ground.

I'm not saying there IS going to be a reunion. All i'm saying is I don't think its out of the question like you seem to. Especially not once CD is actually out there and finished with. Then its just time.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

monkeychow wrote:
misterID wrote:

FORTH

Agreed..for us fanboys. But the general public wouldn't give a shit. How often is VR refered to as 3/5 of GNR? No one cares than Matt was the 2nd drummer. The general public wants to see Axl + Slash together and will except any line up with those two as a legitimate GNR, with Duff as well the deal is sealed. They could use richard, gliby, or anyone else for a tour without any issue. Recording wise - well slash and izzy already had a CD or more of GNR songs ready to go a few years ago that never came to anything I think.

Absolutely. Hell, the wider world didn't really notice when Gilby replaced Izzy back in the day; only fanboys really notice who the rhythm guitarist is - even if he was probably the most important member of the band in terms of songwriting ability!

I've always said that bands usually have two iconic members, and nine times out of ten they're the frontman and the lead guitarist; Tyler/Perry, Mercury/May, Page/Plant, Axl/Slash, the brothers Gallagher and so forth (RHCP are a rare exception, where the frontman and the bassist are the key players). In the eyes of the general public, the ones who'll be buying the majority of the tickets, every other member of the band is disposable - however much the fans kick up a fuss.

As long as Axl and Slash (and, ideally, Duff) are up there, it's a "reunion" as far as the mainstream press and the ticket-buying public are concerned. If I were picking a "reunion" line-up, I'd go for a mix of old and new; Axl, Slash, Duff, Fortus, Frank* and Dizzy. Since Izzy dislikes touring, he could pop onto the stage for odd guest appearances, and contribute in a songwriting capacity.

*Just 'cause Matt's a complete douchebag, really.

'Course, it goes without saying that I'd rather see Axl's new GN'R sticking together, and Slash and Duff happy in VR (with Chester Bennington, in an ideal world!).

Board footer