You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Re: Velvet Revolver Still Mulling New Frontman

Neemo wrote:
TheMole wrote:
war wrote:

people can rip slash all they want - he's not in the band anymore and this a guns n roses webiste.

This is why I'm drawing the comparison between recent changes here and good ol' HTGTH.

i totally missed that part in war's post...so let me ease your mind mole

this is a Guns N Roses amd velvet revolver website

this isa web site where we look at all aspects of gnr past and present, just cuz one person on staff prefers buckethead to slash doesnt mean that we all hate slash

hell for that matter bh is gone too so anyway

we do encourage all points of view so everyone has a say...yes Axl is the reason most people are here but there are many Slash fans as well, just not as many as Axl fans as we failed to draw from the VR fanbase early on and never did recover from that mistake...we always strive to add more Slash/VR fans though

as for drawing parallels to HTGTH thats to be expectd i guess...manyof us came from there but bash VR isnt one of the traits that we wanna adopt

in short everyone here is entitled to their own opinion all we ask is that you dont dwell on constant negativity...say your peice and move on so those of us that are fans of slash dont have to sift through pages of negative remarks

mole my music tastes arent as varied as yours but i too dream of another AFD...i search for music every day that will come somewhere close to it...but to no avail...and yes i am stuck in the 80s and 90s and i'm not scared to admit it

Slash is a fucking god...yes he has a distintive style and i love him for it wink

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

to go one further....to my knowledge this is the only gnr forum where you can bring up any member past or present at any time in any discussion..if you feel fred coury is relevant to the discussion then feel free to talk about the 5 shows he replaced adler for in 88 or 89 we dont care

we have no "dead horse" section and no subject relating to the band past or present is taboo..if its about gnr in any shape or form then we wanna talk about it....nobody is a NEWB....we were all newbs once, we dont want to discriminate based on post count.....and finally to reiterate...every opinion is a valid one 22

TheMole
 Rep: 77 

TheMole wrote:

Cheers Neemo 5

Never wanted to attack the site as such, I'm just trying to provide some counter balance.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
Brett wrote:

I think Baz, regardless of "Skid Roses" jokes, is the ideal fit.

Yeah me too. I think Baz would make slash go heavier and not write just ballads...and slash would stop  Baz decending into an outright scream fest. Has potential to be a good mix. Sadly it isn't going to happen it seems.

Brett wrote:

I realize Slash wants a really musical voice and I can really understand that and I think he does require it, but the type of rock he brings to the table, to me anyways, requires a very distinct singer. And I think if you can't get a guy like Baz, it's just not going to work as well as it could. Like I said on here somewhere earlier, I would take Izzy and Duff singing in a van tour over Scott VR

I agree about the need for a distinctive singer...although I'm not a fan of Izzy and duff's singing. I love izzy's songwriting and duff's playing - but I never liked it when they hit the mike too much.

Brett wrote:

Scott does have better range and all that, which is to be expected from a big rock group like VR. I just don't think his voice suits the music. That's what's important. It's like half the time I listen to VR and I'm impressed as fuck, whenever Weiland's vocals suit the music. Set Me Free, Slither, Fall to Pieces, She Builds Quick Machines, are great for his vocals, but then others it just seems out of place. Basically, his voice is good for some hits, not so good for the meat of the album.

I agree with that too. VR is a funny band that way...when it works - it REALLY works...but there's a lot of average and not so good stuff to go with the gems. I just find scot a but 1 dimesional. I like some of his lyrics, and he can write a killer hook. But he also uses too many repeates (eg Dead and Bloated..great song but the 5 minute version doesn't add anything to the 3 minute except for a few hundred extra choruses!) and is limited in range.

Brett wrote:

If only Saints of Los Angeles was a better album as a whole, but I digress.

I actually kinda dug that album. I wasn't expecting to as i'm only a mild cru fan (I have a best of CD and like about 5 or 6 songs) - but I liked a good 3 or 4 from this album. Not the greatest stuff i've ever heard...but worthy of the occasional spin smile

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

Neemo just explained why I love this fucking board!!

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:

why is everyone talking so present tense with scott ?  he's no longer in the band.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

Yeah...i think the next singer will make or break VR...like if they get someone kickass it will be great...but if its a scott clone..then they'll loose a ton of interest from people.

The VR fan base was already a mix of GNR and STP folks...so they've already lost the STP fans i guess....then again GNR boys like me will always pay attention to what Duff and Slash are up to.

war

war wrote:

good point. a percentage of vr fans probably left with scott.  another percentage of vr fans will also loose interest if cd is released first.

my point being that vr may need to go with a bigger name singer regardless of the style.

war

war wrote:
Neemo wrote:
TheMole wrote:
war wrote:

people can rip slash all they want - he's not in the band anymore and this a guns n roses webiste.

This is why I'm drawing the comparison between recent changes here and good ol' HTGTH.

i totally missed that part in war's post...so let me ease your mind mole

this is a Guns N Roses amd velvet revolver website

this isa web site where we look at all aspects of gnr past and present, just cuz one person on staff prefers buckethead to slash doesnt mean that we all hate slash

hell for that matter bh is gone too so anyway

we do encourage all points of view so everyone has a say...yes Axl is the reason most people are here but there are many Slash fans as well, just not as many as Axl fans as we failed to draw from the VR fanbase early on and never did recover from that mistake...we always strive to add more Slash/VR fans though

as for drawing parallels to HTGTH thats to be expectd i guess...manyof us came from there but bash VR isnt one of the traits that we wanna adopt

in short everyone here is entitled to their own opinion all we ask is that you dont dwell on constant negativity...say your peice and move on so those of us that are fans of slash dont have to sift through pages of negative remarks

mole my music tastes arent as varied as yours but i too dream of another AFD...i search for music every day that will come somewhere close to it...but to no avail...and yes i am stuck in the 80s and 90s and i'm not scared to admit it

Slash is a fucking god...yes he has a distintive style and i love him for it wink

in case you misunderstood my post

i wasn't saying we can't or shouldn't talk about slash cause he isn't in gnr
i was saying the opposite - ripping on slash in this forum isn't innappropriate

i respect and agree with the fundamentals and rules of this board. it seems to be the only one with mostly objective and constructive conversations about anything and everything gnr related and that is why this is the only one i post at.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:
war wrote:

good point. a percentage of vr fans probably left with scott.  another percentage of vr fans will also loose interest if cd is released first.
my point being that vr may need to go with a bigger name singer regardless of the style.

Yeah true. That's why guys like Kravitz or Cornel were good choices in a way...as they have a pre-existing market share of the rock fan base to bring to the partnership.

Then again - to contradict myself now - I also think the obsession with getting a known guy could hinder the music - like if they start hiring people because they are famous not because something about their style suits the band. I almost feel that was the problem with scott. I remember Matt going on in "The Rise of Velvet Revolver" - about how "that's scotty wieldand...that's a rock star and not some kid" or soemthing like that - he was on a quest to find an equal - which makes sence as it takes big balls to front a band with guys like Slash and Duff in it....but then I also think - really the music should come first.

I know everyone thinks it would be too lame if Baz got on board...but really someone with ability like he has would really push them up a level musically and performance wise I think.

Board footer