You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: Song #2 (Prostitute) is the biggest gun of all IMO

nugdafied wrote:

I haven't read this read, so I don't know where it's at currently, but to answer the original question.........IMO, 'Madagascar' was supposed to be the "big gun". In my totally picky opinion, that song is actually really great at it's core, like it nicely flows(unlike all the others), but suffers from some overproduction.

Sky Dog wrote:

Killingvector, good to see you here, always looking for quality conversations. You pretty much summed up why I like this song in a few words. Great tune and the honesty coming from Ax is as good as he can do at this point. In my opinion, close to Estranged....not as good, but pretty close. NOTHING WILL EVER BEAT

"When I find out all the reasons
maybe I`ll find another way, find another day
with all the changing seasons of my life,
maybe I`ll get it right next time
And now that you`ve been broken down,
got your head up of the clouds
you`re back down on the ground
and you don`t talk so loud and you don`t walk so proud
any more, and what for?"

pure and simple

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

I find it bizarre how every time there's a leak, Slash gets brought up. What makes it funny is half this shit wouldn't be out of place on UYI II. So if people wanting Slash back are gonna complain about these tracks, they should also be complaining about the quality of UYI II in our TWAT section.

You know I love you james 16 But that was kinda the guys point...at least have the songs are like UYI songs - but are like those songs with LESS inspired solos. They don't bitch about the songs in TWAT because those solos had more atristic value. If Estranged had never been made, then leaked in 2006 without the distinctive guitar lines - it would be getting the same mixed reviews that Song #2 gets - and I think that was the point - great basis for a song - great vocals - musically on the way there - but not at that special place yet.

I don't denay that for every leak where slash would have shined - eg the UYI style songs like Maddy, Blues, Twat - there are leaks where I can't imagine slash would have added a lot to it - eg Rhiah, OMG, Shackler (if thats what the newest song we have is). So it's not a case of saying Slash has to be in GNR or on every track - its just when Axl makes tracks in the style of the ones he has done before - like NR and like Estranged - which is what songs like TWAT and #2 are - then some comparision is enevitable.

When he does more industrial stuff like Shackler...then i'm happy with things the way they are.

James Lofton wrote:

I've heard post GNR Slash. Not impressed. Not trying to belittle him, but some of us don't feel like living in 1987, and the people who don't want to live in 1987 shouldn't be crucified.

Yeah that's cool. I mean I'm impressed with post GNR slash - something like that "Street Child" colaboration is beautiful the way the guitar cries - and snakepit #1 was awesome. so we'll have to agree to disagree on post GNR slash. But its not so much that we want him in every song - I don't think anyone wants him playing on the industrial stuff - its only when Axl pulls out a classic ballad that his absence is obvious.

When i said CD is lacking i ment there is room for improvment in some of the guitar parts of SOME of the songs. Likewise I think the 100 or so songs slash has released since GNR have room for improvment in some of the vocals and so on smile

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
nugdafied wrote:

I haven't read this read, so I don't know where it's at currently, but to answer the original question.........IMO, 'Madagascar' was supposed to be the "big gun". In my totally picky opinion, that song is actually really great at it's core, like it nicely flows(unlike all the others), but suffers from some overproduction.

Maddy is a truely beautiful song...not sure it was ment as a surprise though as it was played live very early on...

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

Sorry to continue the off topic theme, but I think the guitar solos in TWAT stand up to ANYTHING Slash has ever pulled off.  And I still am not convinced song 2 is "Prostitute".

nugdafied wrote:
faldor wrote:

I think the guitar solos in TWAT stand up to ANYTHING Slash has ever pulled off.

You think wrong. 21

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
nugdafied wrote:
faldor wrote:

I think the guitar solos in TWAT stand up to ANYTHING Slash has ever pulled off.

You think wrong. 21

Well I think I'm entitled to my opinion.  You're obviously entitled as well.  I've heard some great guitar work in the leaks, point blank.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

well i'm on the slash side of this argument...and alot of the songs seem like bad knockoffs of the weaker side of UYI and some really do think outside the box

but where some songs seem stale maybe Ron has stepped in and brought them to a new level...its unfair to critisize the material too much as it is not hte final mix and we know that there are guitar parts on top or replacing what we have heard

back to the topic at hand...song 2 is a dried up dog turd...from the lyrics to the music

axl should get off the orchestration kick...its cool once in a while...hearing it in virtually every song is a bit much, ya cant hide the mediocre guitar work with a synthetic string section

ereeper
 Rep: 14 

ereeper wrote:

Yikes, I can't believe how divided everyone is on this song.  There is no middle road.  You either love it or hate it.  I fall on the love it side of the fence.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

I find it bizarre how every time there's a leak, Slash gets brought up.

Exactly, every time positive momentum surrounds a leak, the Slash calls come. I expected it this time, it just took a little longer because Shackler is harder to hate.

Board footer