You are not logged in. Please register or login.

ereeper
 Rep: 14 

Re: Song #2 (Prostitute) is the biggest gun of all IMO

ereeper wrote:

At least the reunion talk has been extinct for about a week.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
bigbri wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

I find it bizarre how every time there's a leak, Slash gets brought up.

Exactly, every time positive momentum surrounds a leak, the Slash calls come. I expected it this time, it just took a little longer because Shackler is harder to hate.

Not harder to hate.  Why argue a point that will be proven shortly?  Shackler's chance of commercial success = .0000000000000000000000000000001%

I didn't bring up Slash, but ignorance is the only reason for not understanding why he gets brought up.  The Slash calls come because he's not only the only lead guitarist to ever appear on a GnR album, he is also the man responsible for the musical sound of GnR.  He has a distinct playing style that will never be dated because the blues will never go away.  I played Messages for a friend who didn't have the song or know who it was and he knew within 10 seconds that it was Slash before any of the singing came in.  How many guitarists have that happen?

It's comical that Slash is "dated" and hasn't done anything since leaving GnR, yet his peers admire him and he is sought out to do guest performance after guest performance over guys that have more technical ability all the time.  Technical ability doesn't mean shit if you can't produce music that people want to listen to.  I get that some of you love BH, but what you seem to fail to grasp time after time is that the general public and the music industry prefer a guy like Slash over him almost every time.  Quit hating on the guy because he's more popular than the guy you prefer could ever be...it reeks of jealousy.  BH is great at what he does and I really like a lot of his solo stuff, but the only solo of his that works in the leaks is the end of TWAT, and you can't even hear most of it.  I haven't looked into it that carefully, but on the surface that solo sounds pretty blues based...interesting.

BBF once said that he was going to sleaze up some of the new songs to sound more like GnR...why do you think that is?  He's not doing it because it's his style.  Even he knows what everybody else seems to be ignoring.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

What does commercial success prove about anything unless you're a Chris Brown or Fergie fan? And if it does prove anything, it proves Liberetard was a steaming pile of horse shit that no one wanted.

I don't hate Slash, that's comical. I'm a GNR fan for chrissakes. I just don't like that he doesn't feel the need to challenge himself anymore. He carries the same ol schtick like Linus carries his security blanket. The fact that your buddy can pick out his playing in seconds just proves it. It says nothing of ability, but it says a lot about predictability. And being predictable is great if you want the same ol, same ol. I don't.

And you hoping for this GNR to fail is predictable too.

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

I think we'll all be proven right and wrong about this. CD (ciritcally, comercially, and singles to) will not do nearly as well as some of us think, and it won't do nearly as poorly as some others think. It'll be good enough for swingers to call it success, and be disappointing enough for negative people to say it failed.

Slash would not make these songs better. I wonder if he could even play on Shackler's or Riyadh without humiliating himself. People say they don't care about being dated, but Slash's best riff rock blues solos are behind him. Unless he goes in a new direction all we'll ever get is watered-down versions of his past (amazing) work.

CD's a good album. Shackler's is a great single. I'd like to see Buzz define 'success' before the song goes to radio stations, because right now you're being so vague if it was number one for 3 weeks you could say it wasn't successful because it didn't make it a month.:haha:

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:
bigbri wrote:

What does commercial success prove about anything

well when you owe someone $13 million then commercial success is a key ingredient to repay 16

personally i'd like to see gnr back on top of the world...back like it was when i was a kid...i'd like to see all the peopel who've made fun of us, for sticking with the band "through all thie fucking shit", to shut the fuck up

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

strat0
 Rep: 13 

strat0 wrote:
nugdafied wrote:

I haven't read this read, so I don't know where it's at currently, but to answer the original question.........IMO, 'Madagascar' was supposed to be the "big gun". In my totally picky opinion, that song is actually really great at it's core, like it nicely flows(unlike all the others), but suffers from some overproduction.

I agree. Maddy is awesome.  One thing I've noticed with some of the people that are more musically educated that i've played the demos to are that they think they're a bit overproduced. Honestly I feel that the final version of shacklers will have a few less layers in it.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
bigbri wrote:

What does commercial success prove about anything unless you're a Chris Brown or Fergie fan? And if it does prove anything, it proves Liberetard was a steaming pile of horse shit that no one wanted.

I don't hate Slash, that's comical. I'm a GNR fan for chrissakes. I just don't like that he doesn't feel the need to challenge himself anymore. He carries the same ol schtick like Linus carries his security blanket. The fact that your buddy can pick out his playing in seconds just proves it. It says nothing of ability, but it says a lot about predictability. And being predictable is great if you want the same ol, same ol. I don't.

And you hoping for this GNR to fail is predictable too.

Personally I find Bucket the same way though.

Sure a lot of people don't like Libertad...but a lot of people find the songs on that album more listenable than a lot of songs on bucket's albums. But why does it have to be this war?

If you want to talk about predictability....its hard to divorse that from style and signature. Its as true of bucket as it is slash. He does the same thing over and over on these leaks. A sudden quick shred burst like IRS, the 10 finger tap runs like in Better and Rhiad. The intro to Shacklet is cool as...but sounds like it could belong on the bucket albums I have....

What I come back to is that both Slash and Bucket are guitar gods...and it's insane for fans of GNR or rock music to be bashing either of them.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:
faldor wrote:

Sorry to continue the off topic theme, but I think the guitar solos in TWAT stand up to ANYTHING Slash has ever pulled off.  And I still am not convinced song 2 is "Prostitute".

To have one last say on TWAT.

The solo is good, almost great but it just doesnt quite take me there.

Prince use to say that a guitar solo was like giving a woman an Orgasm. u build and build and build until the climax. TWAT gets like right there but it doesnt take u all the way. Its like a chick stopping abruptly just as and :bj: never happens.

For me, the difference is, Slash doesn't have a singer to inspire him to the heights he had in GNR but on the same token, I don't feel any of the GNR guitarist can match  Axl's vocals emotionally enough and Slash's guitar was the equal emotional wise to Axl's voice which is what made it so magical.

Brett
 Rep: 20 

Brett wrote:
machine24 wrote:
faldor wrote:

Sorry to continue the off topic theme, but I think the guitar solos in TWAT stand up to ANYTHING Slash has ever pulled off.  And I still am not convinced song 2 is "Prostitute".

To have one last say on TWAT.

The solo is good, almost great but it just doesnt quite take me there.

Prince use to say that a guitar solo was like giving a woman an Orgasm. u build and build and build until the climax. TWAT gets like right there but it doesnt take u all the way. Its like a chick stopping abruptly just as and :bj: never happens.

For me, the difference is, Slash doesn't have a singer to inspire him to the heights he had in GNR but on the same token, I don't feel any of the GNR guitarist can match  Axl's vocals emotionally enough and Slash's guitar was the equal emotional wise to Axl's voice which is what made it so magical.

I think that's the best analogy anyone can give. Slash and Axl worked so well together that everyone else just comes up short and I think that's unfair all around to them, but it's still valid because we've heard the fruits of them coming together and being the best band in the world; in history to me. I think the leaks are great, but there's a hint of something missing, the extra mile that a player like Slash can come up with and the emotion he can bring. But, hey, let's not forget that without Izzy, we're not really sure how Axl and Slash would have written together in a final product.

Board footer