You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: Would you lose respect for the band if they.................

monkeychow wrote:
Acquiesce wrote:

Not to mention I'd be pissed that we got ripped off with some cover tracks as the bonus rather than new material/unheard demos.

Its kinda OT...but i'm interested to know if there's going to be any true covers (as opposed to AFD covers lol) on the album. I like the cover tracks on TSI and UYI...so i'd like to see Axl's take on a few new songs...like a studio version of "Sailing" would be awesome.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

Monkeychow, I've only been here a few days or so, but I can tell we see eye to eye on a lot of issues.

What u said about the guitar lines being like the lyrics. I've used that analogy 100 times over at HTGTH but no one seems to understand. Changing Slash's lines would be no different than VR doing a GNR song and Scott writing new lyrics.

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Aussie wrote:

Thinking about this some more I really think it's wrong for them to radically change the songs.  If they are doing a cover of someone elses song (yes I know some people will argue they are coz they didnt write it), then by all means change it up and put your interpretation on it, I like that.  I can think of quite a few different bands that have done covers that are just as good if not better than the original.

But doing it under the Guns N' Roses banner I think you should do it like the original.  The only people that can play with the songs are the ones who wrote it in my opinion.  The new guys can mess around with the stuff they wrote. Axl can change his vocal if he chooses because at the end of the day it's still Axl, but i don't like the others messing with it.  Now this is where I feel for them because Axl has left the other members in quite an awkward situation when they have had to play a set heavy with AFD and not a lot of new stuff.  Plus no new stuff has been released so there is nothing really they are changing up.  They must get insanely board to if they didn't improvise a bit as well. 

However, the reason I am so against it is just what Monkeychow and Machine24 said - the guitar lines are like lyrics.  I believe once you release a song and share it with the world whether you like it or not you have a certain responsibility to your audience/listener.  When you share a song and someone listens to it there is a certain connection you are making with the listener on an emotional level.  Sure it's a different response that it evokes in different people, but you still arouse certain feelings and emotions.

You know when you listen to a song and it reminds you of a certain time - "like that summer when you hooked up with that chick on vacation" or that song you were listening to when "that bitch dumped you" etc etc.  Messing with the song is messing with those feelings and memories, its a dangerous thing to do.

Just my 2 cents.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

^
oustanding post!

Its like I'll listen to a boot and I'll be all into etc, like SCOM or NR for example and then u hear a bunch of  just sour notes and it kills the whole mood.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:

Yes. There is no reason for that to come out and there was really no reason to rerecord it. If it aint broke then don't fix it. A little respect for the original members is needed.

Yeah, that's not going to happen...

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

I guess I don't share the same ideals as you all. All respect for the members of GNR went out the window a long time ago. I would eat it up just out curiosity's sake.

JordanRose
 Rep: 6 

JordanRose wrote:

Monkeychow: fantastic post. Man I wish I knew of this forum ages ago. Such a pleasure to read intelligent posts without all the pages of filler inbetween that you get everywhere else!

I'm with MSL on this. The original Appetite isn't sacred. I've invested vast amounts of energy and emotion in the new band, music, songs, tours, bootlegs etc and it would mean a lot to me to hear their studio versions of the old stuff, regardless of how inferior they might be on many levels. I appreciate and respect that some will find this utterly absure and blasphemous but I very rarely listen to the old band now; I prefer to listen to the new band's live shows to hear old songs. I've gotten used to and grown to love Axl's new vocal abilities and don't want to hear how he sounded.

I think putting it out officially as e.g. a bonus disc with a new album would be a really bad iadea and generate huge feelings of badwill from the media and many fans. However, using the songs as b-sides wouldn't be so bad and if anyone out there leaked it then I'd be thrilled with that.

bazgnr
 Rep: 4 

bazgnr wrote:

Axl and the band need to move forward and forge their own musical identity, period, and releasing Chinese Democracy is the only way to do that.  For a band that appears to desperately want to escape the specter of its past (and those members from its past), releasing anything other than new material would be a serious misstep at this point.

Board footer