You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Re: Would you lose respect for the band if they.................

Aussie wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

^ Nah i think the rerecording is more disrespectful...because its more enduring...a tour is only seen by those people who go...re-releasing a classic album messes with future generations who are exposed to the new one first...long after the band is too old to tour...its messing with history.

I wonder what 2 AFD songs they ditched for YCBM and Patience?

I thought it was Out Ta Get Me and Think About You.

But thinking about it more they played OTGM with the new lineup so maybe it was You're Crazy and Think about You.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

sic.
 Rep: 150 

sic. wrote:

They ditched You're Crazy and Anything Goes. Neither of the songs were played in 01-02. The standard setlist was

- Re-recorded AFD (& YCBM / Patience)
- LALD
- KOHD
- November Rain
- 3-5 new songs

The only varying factor was the amount of new songs.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

^ Thanks. That makes a lot of sence smile

I never noticed how the live mix was basicly the same thing he said they'd done to the album....interesting!

sic.
 Rep: 150 

sic. wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

I never noticed how the live mix was basicly the same thing he said they'd done to the album....interesting!

Axl consciously avoided doing UYI material, restricting himself to only the big soundtrack song, the big music video anthem and the two covers. The first two are probably the most memorable songs on the albums for Joe Q Public, as they were rammed down everyone's throat back in the day. When he mentioned he had 'emotional problems' as to performing the old material, he wasn't kidding. I'd wager all Izzy songs from the UYI's were automatically dropped from the equation due to their strained relationship at the time.

Narrow further down and weed out the songs with contributions by Slash and Duff and you'll end with The Garden, Dead Horse, Yesterdays, Shotgun Blues, Breakdown, Back Off Bitch and Estranged. As none of those songs was thrown in, it leads to the assumption that Axl, ultimately, didn't want to play the UYI material in the first place.

Also, as the live sound gives some idea of the original recordings, it's reasonable to assume that the '98 Think About You for instance has some wicked groovy piano in it, even though it comes without Bucket. We have SCOM (or at least half of it), and Robin's rendition of Slash's parts is fairly faithful, which leads me to think the amount of liberties in expression varied from song to song. The 'important' ones received special attention and were presumably done as if for a tribute album, but the lesser-known ones like TAY allowed the band to try themselves out and experiment more freely within the confines of that specific song.

A lot of reviews mentioned songs like ISO and TAY as the songs during which the band 'lit up' after the mandatory note-by-note WTTJ. And what would be more fun when doing cover versions than the ones you'd feel you'd be throwing in your own little twist?

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

The interest is indeed morbid. However, music is not as serious as some people want it to be. Im curious. If they wanna put it up there, I won't have anything against it. It's simply sound waves. Who gives a shit.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Great Post Sic.

Yeah...i've always assumed some of the UYI stuff was left for dead because it was so slash heavy...songs like estranged and coma.

Its true about the band lighting up doing TAY - I think part of that was from the audience though - as it was like hearing a new song because it wasn't something we were used to hearing live prior to the new lineups....

Board footer