You are not logged in. Please register or login.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

Re: An interesting topic, what would happen if axl...

buzzsaw wrote:

I guess the question I would ask is if you're great at something, why would you go out of your way to recreate the wheel?  What Axl used to do worked.  What Slash used to do worked.  Axl tried to reinvent the wheel with new GnR and it doesn't really appear to work (though mastered tracks could change that).  Slash tried to reinvent his sound and brought Scott in to "modernize" it, which to most people didn't work either (though some like it).  Sure, we want our artists to grow.  UYI showed growth from AFD.  Growth does not = reinventing the sound that made the band what it was.  That's called starting over.

Sky Dog wrote:

probably because he is bat shit crazy....:nervous:

Sky Dog wrote:

also, in my opinion, as soon as he got Bucket on board he should have turned the project in to a solo effort or new band and started off the new millenium with a new beginning. But, it obviously didn't work that way.:/

Captain Winkler
 Rep: -17 

Brett wrote:

The thing is Axl's vocals nor lyrics are as good on the CD stuff in general than it was on the UYI stuff. And, I personally take Axl's lyrics with a grain of salt because generally everything he sings about he does the opposite in his personal actions. I ask, though, what should Slash do that will make him more broad of a guitarist? We know he can do it anyways, all the performers he's played with has proven this; so what is there to prove? Even if Slash was in GNR right now, he wouldn't be making electronic sounds, that's be Axl's bag, so how could he grow? He'd just be playing the guitar and I hear little to nothing on the CD leaks that Slash hasn't done similarly and better. Bands don't generally constantly shift genres, musicians get their other loves out of their system with live performances and ventures with others and focus on what they love on their own work. That's why he worked with Lenny Kravitz, because he had this cool riff that Lenny liked, but Slash thought it was too funky for Guns. What hasn't Slash done in the world of Rock N' Roll? Slash even said he'd have done an industrial record with Guns if everyone was on the same page, but it just never worked like that. Axl's been making industrial music (because he is interested in it) to an extent dating all the way back to My World. If the last nearly 20 years haven't made industrial music a part his comfort zone, I don't know what would.

I think you're comparing apples to oranges when talking about Axl Vs. Slash. Axl is a control freak singer who now has a band that he 100% controls and every sound goes his way. Slash is a guitarist and doesn't work like that as his bands are more collective.

TheMole: His book. I'm sure it was Black Sheep that he said he joined to shred just to try to get noticed between bands. If you have his book handy and want proof, there's a pic of Slash with a guitar and smoke hanging out of his mouth (it's b&w) and there's a caption "Slash shredding it up with Black Sheep."

ask slash to compose anything like the solos on shackler's or riyadh and he'd sit there scratching his top hat wondering what the fuck is going on.  he has never done anything similar to those solos or riffs. could you provide a source for this supposed "slash would do an industrial record with GNR"? i doubt that, because it seems like utter BS.

to say Axl's lyrics on chinese demo are bad is well ignorant to be polite, it seems that your lack of appreciation for Axl and the new band is far more deep seeded than simply not digging the new material.

I love Slash, i love his work, and he seems like a decent guy, but hes a media whore and the darling of every rock journalist going around, and you seem to be swept up in this Slash worshiping anti-Axl  vibe that has been produced, mainly due to sensational journalism and a lack of actual information on the situation. there is no doubting that Axl is eccentric and at times over-bearing and tedious to deal with, but to heap all the blame on Axl is just ridiculous. whether hes credible or not, Scott weiland has even been quoted as saying, having been in a band with Slash, that he "can see now that it may not have been all Axl's fault after dealing with those guys". Slash undoubtedly portrays himself as the innocent, laid back chilled guy, and i am sure to some extent he is, but he definitely cannot be exonerated of all responsibility for the dissolution of the band.

on the whole Axl not doing what his lyrics depict, well that my friend, is utterly ridiculous. lyrics are not necessarily self descriptive, nor are they necessarily introspective. they can depict a story of a protagonist, offer opinions on contemporary issues etc. none of which include first person accounts of what is occurring in the lyrics. that is one of the most inherently stupid comments i have ever seen. so because he wrote civil war, and did not go to any war, or fuck he didn't even go the civil war!?!? his lyrics have no credibility?

you no what you're right, i can pretty much disregard every single song ever written now. led zeppelin for example, i was a fool to think they were actually present at the battle of evermore, what an idiot i am, they lied to me, and i believed them! you mean to tell me there is no actual stairway to heaven!?!? jesus H christ! WOH HOLD UP you're saying that Freddie mercury never actually shot a man? never actually pulled a trigger and now hes dead!?!? and pink floyd? surely not? they never actually took part in any building programs regarding bricks!?!? they were never even present on the building site!?!? OH MY SWEET DICK ITS A CONSPIRACY! THANK YOU FOR BLOWING MY MIND!

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

I like newGNR.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

good thread

Captain Winkler wrote:

ask slash to compose anything like the solos on shackler's or riyadh and he'd sit there scratching his top hat wondering what the fuck is going on.  he has never done anything similar to those solos or riffs. could you provide a source for this supposed "slash would do an industrial record with GNR"? i doubt that, because it seems like utter BS.

not to drag the slash commentary out any longer but...the riffs in the new songs are mostly power chord based...it not a question on whether he could do it...it more a question of him scratching his head asking why would he want to do it in the first place

as for shredding...slash is capable of it very well if the need arises...listen to the outro of NR from the UYI 1 album...he plays it prety damn fast, i remember back in 02 when I saw bucket tear it up on top of the piano...and i was thinking damn hes playing it fast...then actually going back and listening to the album bucket pretty much did it note for note what slash had done before

as for the robin finck "dissonance" solos...dont even get me started 18

bottom line here is that axl/slash combo was a once in a lifetime occurance that we may nbever see again but it was sure great while it lasted

as madagas said...it jsut all fell apart no one person is more to blame than the other

IRS to me is as close as we get to a traditional guns sound...maybe the blues...but IMO catcher sucks

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
Captain Winkler wrote:

he has never done anything similar to those solos or riffs. could you provide a source for this supposed "slash would do an industrial record with GNR"? i doubt that, because it seems like utter BS.

Slash himself has explained that he would do an industrial record and that he did NOT leave GNR over the industrial record but rather over Axl's behaviour.

He says the reasons he left were:

1. Constant Disrespect for all involved by going on late for no good reason night after night
2. Legal manipulation that axl forced on us, from demanding ownership of the name to downgrading us contractually to hired hands
3. Loosing Izzy and Steven who were such an integral part of the band's sound and personality - without them the band no longer had its original chemestry

my departure has nothing to do with artistic differences, as many people claim to know. It was not as simple as 'Axl wanted Synths and Slash was old-school' It had nothing to do with axl wanting to go digital and Slash staying analog. To think that disolving the kind of band and the kind of chemestry we had over something so trivial is just insane. It's true I am old school, and I do like keeping it simple - but i've never been closed minded. If anything I was more than felxiable and willing to try any kind of recording technique or explore any new sound so long as I was doing so on an equal playing field with musicians that worked together toward a common goal. I would have hung in there with Axl through an industrial record or whatever else he wanted to try if the creative vibe between us was positive. My flexibility is the only thing that kept me in the band as long as it did - that's how a team works. Unfortunately we stoped being a team somewhere along the way

from: Slash, by Slash and Anthony Bozza - Harper Collins 2007 see pp454-455.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

my departure has nothing to do with artistic differences, as many people claim to know. It was not as simple as 'Axl wanted Synths and Slash was old-school' It had nothing to do with axl wanting to go digital and Slash staying analog. To think that disolving the kind of band and the kind of chemestry we had over something so trivial is just insane. It's true I am old school, and I do like keeping it simple - but i've never been closed minded. If anything I was more than felxiable and willing to try any kind of recording technique or explore any new sound so long as I was doing so on an equal playing field with musicians that worked together toward a common goal. I would have hung in there with Axl through an industrial record or whatever else he wanted to try if the creative vibe between us was positive. My flexibility is the only thing that kept me in the band as long as it did - that's how a team works. Unfortunately we stoped being a team somewhere along the way
from: Slash, by Slash and Anthony Bozza - Harper Collins 2007 see pp454-455.

What's he going to say?  I love Slash as much as anybody, but you have to take everything he says with a grain of salt just like you have to take the little bit that Axl says with a grain of salt.  None of it is 100% true.  The truth lies somewhere in the middle.  The musical direction of the band did have something to do with it...even as a Slash supporter, I admit that.

nugdafied wrote:
Captain Winkler wrote:

i don't mean totally replicate it, eg.motley crue, which would only serve to portray him as a pathetic washed up 80's rocker. what i mean is transform and evolve the type of music that made him and GNR famous.....try to imagine a 21st century hard rocker in the style of welcome to the jungle or nightrain, i tried to avoid saying it but, SCOM.

So, what you are basically saying is you want Axl to do what Slash has already accomplished with songs like Slither & Set Me Free.

Board footer