You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: Radio Reacts To Guns N' Roses Single

Sky Dog wrote:

it is only going to be a portion of a week.....so the ratings will be lower. Next week will be the tell tale sign...not this one.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

Has it been played on Australian radio yet? I haven't heard anything.

Sky Dog wrote:
russtcb wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
russtcb wrote:

You're sorry to hear that 25-30 people that I know liked hearing a new Guns N' Roses song?

No, I'm sorry you were lied to.

My friends, family and co-workers don't lie to me.

of course they do, Buzz knows all-remember, the guy with the biggest ax to grind who pretty much hates all the new songs is a "realist". PUUUUHHHLLLEEAASSEE.....as for radio play, who gives a fuck? How many times did you hear the Eagles single before their record came out? Gnr is getting decent airtime. Over at the Velvet Rope, someone was saying that big releases like this generally don't play their best single first. They know they are going to get big sales the first week so you hold what you consider to be your best single until sales begin to dip. Sounds like a good plan to me. In the end, this record isn't going to live and die with radio play. Considering the cost to record it, it will be purely judged by sales.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:
madagas wrote:

as for radio play, who gives a fuck? How many times did you hear the Eagles single before their record came out? Gnr is getting decent airtime. Over at the Velvet Rope, someone was saying that big releases like this generally don't play their best single first. They know they are going to get big sales the first week so you hold what you consider to be your best single until sales begin to dip. Sounds like a good plan to me. In the end, this record isn't going to live and die with radio play. Considering the cost to record it, it will be purely judged by sales.

i agree madagas...to an extent...they definately need a good gameplan to sustain the album's longevity on the charts and on radio so they can generate interest for the average person...once they instill that interest then it may pan out into a sale

so in my mind radio play does matter, if people dont hear it they wont have the inclination to buy it, but the theory that they are holding bach their big single makes sense to do a big push later on

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:
russtcb wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
russtcb wrote:

You're sorry to hear that 25-30 people that I know liked hearing a new Guns N' Roses song?

No, I'm sorry you were lied to.

My friends, family and co-workers don't lie to me.

you have 25-30 freinds family and coworkers who listen to GnR? holy crap....

Sky Dog wrote:
Neemo wrote:
madagas wrote:

as for radio play, who gives a fuck? How many times did you hear the Eagles single before their record came out? Gnr is getting decent airtime. Over at the Velvet Rope, someone was saying that big releases like this generally don't play their best single first. They know they are going to get big sales the first week so you hold what you consider to be your best single until sales begin to dip. Sounds like a good plan to me. In the end, this record isn't going to live and die with radio play. Considering the cost to record it, it will be purely judged by sales.

i agree madagas...to an extent...they definately need a good gameplan to sustain the album's longevity on the charts and on radio so they can generate interest for the average person...once they instill that interest then it may pan out into a sale

so in my mind radio play does matter, if people dont hear it they wont have the inclination to buy it, but the theory that they are holding bach their big single makes sense to do a big push later on

I guess you're right. The difference between the Eagles and Gnr or AC/DC is that the Eagles clearly are and were not after the young crowd/modern rock radio. Gnr clearly is so to get those younger fans, they will need a decent amount of airplay. I still think they should have reintroduced the band with Better, but I'll leave the marketing to Azoff. 19

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Aussie wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

Has it been played on Australian radio yet? I haven't heard anything.

I still haven't heard it on the radio here in Perth.  Although last Friday night I was walking thru the city and some chick pulled up at the lights and had the song cranking.  It gave me a bit of a smile hearing it.  I presumed it was the radio version that was playing.  But I still haven't heard a peep myself.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
madagas wrote:

Over at the Velvet Rope, someone was saying that big releases like this generally don't play their best single first. They know they are going to get big sales the first week so you hold what you consider to be your best single until sales begin to dip. Sounds like a good plan to me. In the end, this record isn't going to live and die with radio play. Considering the cost to record it, it will be purely judged by sales.

I agree with your last sentences, but argue with the first ones. After 17 years of no new material, you'd better put out something incredibly exciting as the first single. You need to prove that you used these years (decades) to make something really great. It's the point where CD fails: the song is really simple with the 4-quint riff going through the whole song.
I like the tune, don't get me wrong, but the music structure and solutions are simplier than a grunge song. Of course, you must have another big guns in your pocket to hold the interest, but the first single could have been better. Well, it couldn't have been better if I look at the leaks. It's a good song, but faaaaar from being earth-shattering or interesting enough to make people think 'oh, what another briliant music can be on CD?'.

ereeper
 Rep: 14 

ereeper wrote:

I heard an interesting theory last night on Eddie Trunk.  I think he played CD, but I missed that part.  He was in the middle of discussing the song and it was getting hammered by people who didn't like it being called Guns N' Roses.  One defender called it and reminded everyone about the album Hysteria.  How this album was around 8 years after Pyromania and the first single was Woman.  The caller went on how the first single was far from the best single and the album just took off once the second single was released and every single after that was a smash.

Board footer