You are not logged in. Please register or login.

bucketfan
 Rep: 30 

Re: My guitar complaint *spoilers included*

bucketfan wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:
madagas wrote:

Anybody who has seen Bucket on a solo tour should know how much of a better player he is than Slash....it is too obvious. You can argue about their songwriting skills and contributions to individual songs, but there is no question about who has more overall guitar playing talent. That includes Blues, Shred, Metal, Ballads, et al....acoustic/electric...doesn't matter.

I agree with the first half and disagree with the second. Strongly. Slash beats BH in blues, classic rock and blues rock, simply because that's not BH's style and he can't control himself enough not to do 'some BH'. BH can play a lot faster, his playing is very precious, his stuff is very hard to play - but zillions of singers are better than Axl, yet I favour him for his talent, that, just like Slash's, comes from a really ancient instict. I prefer Slash's instinctive (I hope it's the right word) playing over trillion hours of practice (and a great asset of musical talent). Opinions differ.

My problem with BH isn't that he's not good enough. He is. My problem is not that he's not Slash, yet he plays in GN'R. Well, I don't like Axl's taking the name, but that's not the main problem for him. I don't think that BH wouldn't fit GN'R - to tell the truth, without him most of the new songs were unlistenably boring and uninspired. BH's crazy stuff is killer on the songs, he's the one who deserves the most credit for 'taking the songs to a whole new level'. My problem is that this level isn't too high, because the main ideas and concepts of the songs were so weak (with a few expections) that even BH's great contribution wasn't enough to make it a great album. Axl's great (with some lamer performance here and there, but it happens on past GN'R records, too), BH's great, but that's all. The guitar work in overall isn't that great, no memorable riffs, a few memorable solos, but the synths and the forced elements kill the music for me. Just fuckin' tell me, how someone with Finck's ability can play this much on a GN'R record 17

Listen to "Chicken Noodles II" and then tell me who's got the best blues chops bucket

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:

I've heard it.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

i understand where mikka is coming from because while some of Buckets work is absolutely amazing...other times its jsut too damn weird and experimental for me

also we gotta stop referring to slash's style as "Classic Rock"....you're makin me feel old 17 16

supaplex
 Rep: 57 

supaplex wrote:
Neemo wrote:

also we gotta stop referring to slash's style as "Classic Rock"....you're makin me feel old 17 16

i guess "vintage rock" is out of the question then? big_smile

bloodyhell81
 Rep: 2 

bloodyhell81 wrote:

slash plays blues style guitar cant compair to buckethead, personally dont like buckets style of playing but thats me, never thought he would fit in GNR was quite stupid when i saw him on stage with axl. not saying hes not talented but i like guitar playing (solos) to move me not confuse me.

Sky Dog wrote:

Bucket's solo on Sorry is straight up blues. I assume you guys haven't heard that one because it is absolutely pristine and soulful as soul gets.

TheMole
 Rep: 77 

TheMole wrote:

Bucket is one hell of a Blues player if he wants to, and so much more. People have got to stop saying he plays without emotion, he's one the most emotive players I know. I prefer some of his renditions of Slash's solo's (Nightrain being a prime example), so saying he's just flat out copying Slash is just plain ridiculous.

As Mikka says, BH is the main reason why this album is as good as it is (where you rank it, is totally up to personal taste, and I'm with Mikka on this one: most of it is sub-par). So people should stop the "bucket is a mindless shredder who tries to sound like Slash but has no feeling" tantrum they've been throwing recently. Not only is it ridiculous, it's also obnoxious.

I do like the underlying discussion though, would this album have been better if it was made by the old band? I personally think it would, and obviously I believe Slash & Duff would've had a big part in that. Difficult to quantify why exactly, but something about those three guys (four, the effect would even be bigger if Izzy was part of it) working together has always elevated them above the sum of their parts I think. I guess mainly because they tempered each others extremes.

Yeah, I prefer Slash as well, but puh-lease... if Axl ever had a guy who could more than fill the void it was Bucket.

bloodyhell81
 Rep: 2 

bloodyhell81 wrote:

thats peoples opinion and agree somewhat, emotions and not just shown with guitar playing body language plays a huge part also, not compairing slash to bh  slash is a great example of emotion i guess it was his style bh hides behind a mask and doesnt show much pretty boring to me. ive watched many videos with new band and people like stinson, bumblefoot and the rest get into in  while in my mind bh not so much.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
bigbri wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
Neemo wrote:

we arent honestly doing another slash vs BH thread are we?

Valid points have been raised though. People have said for years that all he does is shred, and now its turning into 'he's trying to copy Slash'. I had no idea that Slash was 'a freak that shreds with no emotion'. Guess I need to go buy those old GNR albums again.

This is what I was trying to get at. Everyone knows I love Bucket and prefer him in this era. I don't think he plays everything "perfectly", but he DOES play everything. My point is, now we're complaining about him being in the Slash vein whereas the past it was all about him just being a shredder. So, which is it?

Here is what it should be.  It should be Bucket being the featured player period.  Finck and Bumble do nothing for me when they solo.  Its Finck that at times too tries to play in the Slash vein, but it comes off contrived, but I do enjoy his "blues" solo.  So in the end, GNR's two greatest guitar players are not in the band that is releasing the album.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Okay, the fills on Chinese Democracy is a blantant attempt to emulate Slash's fills on Welcome to the Jungle.  Aslo the the Delay on the intro.... VERY FUCKING SIMILAR to the delay at the beginning of Welcome to the Jungle.....  There are certain GNR guitar trademarks, and they are on the new album.

Board footer