You are not logged in. Please register or login.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

Re: GNR Evo members' Chinese Democracy reviews thread

tejastech08 wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

After listening to CD on the way home, I put in Live Era.  An unpolished album with mistakes that is somewhat "stripped".  I wanted to hear live estranged to get the vibe of that band on a song that everyone says is now ranked below This I Love on HTGTH.  Estanged is such a truly magical song and epic and just about perfect.  Slash's tones and solos and driving guitar lines carry the song in a way no guitars lines on CD come close too.  Estranged eats TIL and shits it out again.  Not even close.  Then I put on Rocket Queen, which I guess is kind of like TWAT or something because its like a two for one rocker with some guitar solos.  Again, Rocket Queen, a song that isn't even a huge GNR hit, destroys pretty much everything on CD.  That outro and Axl's vocals and guitar solo. Wow. 

Many GNR fans have dumbed down expectations so much that anything is brilliant just because it is released.  Axl had brilliant moments on the album, but even him alone with world class musicians cannot capture the feel of what Him, Izzy, Slash, Duff, etc did.  I feel like I too am guilty at giving Axl free pass after free pass etc.    Also, even as a fan of Bass, there is too much damn bass on the album.  Makes my speakers rattle so I am forced to adjust my eq.

"This I Love" ain't in Estranged's league. But "Sorry" is. And yeah, I realize the lyrical content is pretty much the complete opposite. One is a ballad and the other is angry as shit.

And I would agree with you about Rocket Queen. But then again, that is one of my favorites...possibly my favorite GN'R track ever, so I'm probably biased in thinking that nothing on CD is in its league.

Yes, Sorry is awesome, even with the stupid lyrics, the song is very good.  But Sorry gets nowhere the love TIL does.   And Finck's solo is servicable, and that is where it stops, its not brilliant like many say.. They say "less is more with that solo", not, its just "less".  As good as sorry is, the stucture of the song is quite basic, and that is just fine.  Doesn't have to be complex to be good, but Estaranged, Coma, even NR are pretty impressively arranged.  Back in GNR, Axl and Slash had a "push pull" type relationship musically.  I think Bucket could have been that for Axl now.  We know Axl is doing all the Pushing, but who is doing the pulling?  Who is pushing Axl to bigger greatness?  Its not Bumble or Fortus that is for damn sure.

Buckethead played the solo on Sorry, not Finck.

And the lyrics are fucking amazing...the best thing about the song. Unless you hate Axl and only want to see Slash's side of the story, in which case I'm sure the lyrics suck. But I want to see both sides of the story. Axl has been silent for a long ass time on this shit and it's nice to see him letting it out musically.

Brett
 Rep: 20 

Brett wrote:

Am I the only one that thinks the song is a bit about Adler? I mean "no one cares about you" directed at Slash? Huh?

I read somewhere else that Adler had said 'shut up and sing' but I have no idea where that info comes from.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Yeah...I know everyone wants it to be about Slash cos of the Axl vs Slash vibe online...but I feel its more directed at the fanbase,public, media. But that's just my opinion.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
Brett wrote:

Am I the only one that thinks the song is a bit about Adler? I mean "no one cares about you" directed at Slash? Huh?

I read somewhere else that Adler had said 'shut up and sing' but I have no idea where that info comes from.

This is Axl Rose we're dealing with here. He's a crazy motherfucker. Perhaps in his mind no one gives a damn about Slash.

Brett

Brett wrote:

I gave the media/fans/etc... perception a thought when I first heard it and I just think it's too personal in spots to be about random people or internet idiots. I definitely see it.

It could be a combo of all three with just a pent up mixture of emotions, but it seems like Shackler is a lot more against the fanbase and it would suck for him to have gone down the same path twice in different parts of the album. The whole reason I figured it would be Slash and Axl is because Sorry, Madagascar and IRS have a similar theme throughout and I am sure Madagascar at least is about the old guys.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Yeah..i hear ya brett...I just think there's a lot of lines in it that actually don't make sence about Slash but would when applied to Axl's general image in the media etc.

Can i derail this thread more - dont want to post a new topic for it - but I've been listening to the new "Catcher in the Rye" a lot - and at first the changes from the May version where a bit of a shock but i'm growing to like it - the solo at 2.24 is fucking cool - cos it mirrors the old one kind of then ripps into some shreedy goodness...i like it. It's bumble yeah? Cos i dont think robin plays that fast? Booklet says solo from Bumble, Robin, Bumble so i'm just trying to work out who is where...

Brett

Brett wrote:

Anyone know if Sorry was written post-Slash rant in the media with VR? I figured maybe that'd be a catalyst.

Brett

Brett wrote:

I just thought of something else. I figured maybe he meant he'd kick Slash's ass in terms of success (perhaps an exchange happened) or maybe threatened to scrap Steven, but in Sorry maybe when he says "I'll kick your ass like I said I would/ You tell them stories they'd rather believe/Use an' confuse them/They're numb and naive" is a follow-up to Get in the Ring (response to Mick Wall's unauthorized bio of him)?

But, "you chose to hurt those that love you and won't set them free" I am still lost on.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:
Brett wrote:

I thought it could be a another reference to fans because of heckling during guitar solos and instrumentals.
Axl kept making snide sarcastic comments to the Glasgow audience, because some people shouting for songs during guitar, piano solos and the jams. I know he did that elsewhere on the last tours as well.

I think Sorry is targeted at fans, Slash and media.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Yeah...I know everyone wants it to be about Slash cos of the Axl vs Slash vibe online...but I feel its more directed at the fanbase,public, media. But that's just my opinion.

There is a definate Anti-Slash attitude from Axl, and the way beta, fernando and jarmo constantly come online and sow the seeds of Slash negativity, its clear to me that the bad feeling towards Slash is very real , very bitter, and very close to the surface in that little clique.

Board footer