You are not logged in. Please register or login.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

Re: The Star Wars Thread *NO SPOILERS ALLOWED!*

polluxlm wrote:

I don't think they will turn him to the dark side. Seen no evidence of that. Mostly speculation based on him not appearing much in the promotion material. They already got Driver, Serkis and the red headed guy in villain roles. Gwendoline Christie too. That list looks pretty packed.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

I think the speculation comes from the composition of the latest trailer...the villain seems to talk to Vader's helmet in a fatherlike way...also Luke's lack of appearance in the poster and u can't see his face in the trailer is curious...I would guess his role will be Yoda like in scope likely training the girl and the stormtrooper guy

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

Can't wait.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

International trailed(Japan) was released.  A few extra scenes, not all that drastic or storyline revealing, but adds a bit more.

http://io9.com/holy-cow-this-internatio … socialflow

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

So we have more hope since Lucas isn't involved?

AtariLegend wrote:

It should be less hope since Abrams is involved.

polluxlm

polluxlm wrote:

Some new footage in Japanese trailer.

polluxlm

polluxlm wrote:

George Lucas has compared his retirement from Star Wars to a break-up – a mutual one, maybe, but it nonetheless comes with hard feelings.

Before handing over Lucasfilm and the future of his galactic saga to The Walt Disney Co. for $4 billion in 2012, Lucas came up with story treatments for a new trilogy. Those materials, to put it bluntly, were discarded.

“They decided they didn’t want to use those stories, they decided they were gonna go do their own thing,” Lucas says in a new interview with CBS This Morning. “They weren’t that keen to have me involved anyway. But at the same time, I said if I get in there I’m just going to cause trouble. Because they’re not going to do what I want them to do. And I don’t have the control to do that anymore. All I would do is muck everything up. So I said, ‘Okay, I will go my way, and I’ll let them go their way.’”

Lucas, who was brutalized by critics and some fans over the prequel trilogy, suggested he was going to tell a story about the grandchildren of figures from the original trilogy. (We still don’t know the full names of some characters from The Force Awakens, so that may still happen, just in a different way from Lucas planned.)

“The issue was, ultimately, they looked at the stories and they said, ‘We want to make something for the fans,’” he told CBS. “So, I said, all I want to do is tell a story of what happened – it started here and went there. It’s all about generations, and issues of fathers and sons and grandfathers. It’s a family soap opera.”

Then he brought up the break-up analogy to explain why he’s not involved in The Force Awakens at all. “When you break up with somebody, the first rule is no phone calls. The second rule, you don’t go over to their house and drive by to see what they’re doing,” Lucas said. “The third one is you don’t show up at their coffee shop and say, ‘You are going to burn it…’ You just say ‘Nope, gone, history, I’m moving forward.’”

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/11/20/ge … ns-breakup

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Poor fella. Oh well. Hopefully Disney does it right.

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Poor fella. Oh well. Hopefully Disney does it right.

Judging from sources that know folks from Collider and other top movie critic websites that have seen the film in private screenings, they said it's mind blowing and awesome. One of them wasn't even a huge fan of Star Wars either and liked it. So these are good signs. Cause you want this movie to stand on it's own and be great as well as complimenting the 6 movies that came before it. Harrison Ford has been very friendly in the press recently promoting the movie and JJ's work ethic. Which Ford has rarely done much praise for a movie in decades. This is a guy who feels happy to be a part of this franchise while a couple years prior wanting nothing to do with it. JJ just finished the movie besides doing any last minute color corrections or edit touch ups with his team for theaters.

I feel for Lucas because he even offered the prequel treatments to other directors such as Ron Howard and Speilberg. They said no because it was George's vision and his property. They didn't want to change that and while that's understandable, the prequels would of been better served with a Kasdan or another talented screen writer to bounce off of Lucas and give off more character development/dialogue. As well as an assistant director to help with scenes where they needed to serve the actors and not the set pieces. There was an additional director that helped with the production of "Attack of the Clones" and even Speilberg himself shot a few action sequences un-credited for "Revenge of the Sith". Because they're friends and all.

Also doesn't help that the fan-base were and still are quite vicious and being a bunch of cry babies over movies that weren't made for the so called fans. They were made to tell the story Lucas wanted to tell and also he made characters like Jar Jar and such for his kids. I respect him for having the balls to do those movies and there's alot of good in all three of them. Yeah...there were miscasts like Hayden, under developed subplots, a little too much green screen in "Attack of the Clones", and bad dialogue. There is also a ton of world building, fun characters, good scenes that lead to an outcome, and popcorn set pieces. Ewan McGregor's Obi Wan being the highlight of that trilogy in particular. Episode 2: Attack of Clones going back to it years later after seeing it as a kid is the movie I find with the most problems out of the three. Revenge of the Sith has a few off moments; but overall feels the most like the original Star Wars and feels like a complete story. Also getting way with a ton of dark moments and being the first PG-13 film in the franchise showed some of things Lucas wanted to do with his cinematography. Phantom Menace just has a weak script overall; but I still find that it's not bad of a movie as alot of people think. He has a done so much for the entertainment industry especially investing in the latest camera set ups, 3D technology, sound work, gave a bunch of money to help Pixar develop, video games, and much more. The rest he gave to charity or in to his estate for the future. He's going to make money off the new movies with Disney since he gets a producer and creative consultant credit since the older characters he still created. Those toy sales are going to go through the roof.

Board footer