You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

Re: The Star Wars Thread *NO SPOILERS ALLOWED!*

I think we're more likely to get a backstory explanation for Rey's advanced abilities than a turn to the Dark Side, but who knows. They could go a lot of places from where this left off.

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Aussie wrote:
Communist China wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

What I want to know is, if familiar characters, CGI and lightsabers are enough to make a great Star Wars movie, then why is the PT so disliked? Whatever it was it certainly had all of those elements.
Is it the few lines of cringe dialogue and acting tipping the scale?

There's more to the formula than CGI and lightsabre battles and Han Solo, but yeah, dialogue and acting are big problems in the PT. It spoils the moments that could be great. When the Vader mask is put on and we hear that classic breathing sound for the first time, it's awesome. But then a minute later he's yelling "NOOOOOOOO!" and I'm laughing. There's tension when Anakin and Obi-Wan confront each other, then Anakin says "Either you're with me, or you're my enemy" and I'm laughing because it sounds so awkward. Same when Anakin confesses his love to Padme on Naboo or when he tells her about killing the sand people. These should be big moments and none of them land for me. In particular, those two are so not in love it's jarring. I could've gotten into their non-chemistry if they led us to think that Padme was only with him to keep an eye on him, but they didn't really go that direction, at least not clearly enough for me to pick up on.

So yeah, the dialogue in the PT is cringe-worthy in key moments and the acting is often bad. I'd say the acting in Force Awakens is strong throughout.

But also I just didn't find the characters of the PT very likable or their motivations easy to understand. Like I said, Padme's love for Anakin never makes sense. And what was the point of Darth Maul or Qui-Gon Jinn? And am I supposed to hate Anakin or sympathize with him? (At times it seems he's pulled to the Dark Side because he's impatient with his place with the Jedi, other times he really seems to think it's the only way to save the woman he loves). Maybe the acting was bad because the characters were confusing.

Force Awakens very quickly shows you who these people are and why you should care about them. Even with Ren, they introduce the nuances of his character by first giving us clear signals about what he is, then violating our expectations about him. I thought it was well done.

But that's just my opinion. I forgive a cheesy plot easier than I forgive bad characters or dialogue, so VII was more my cup of tea than I-II-III.

EDIT: Sorry this turned out so long.

^ That sums up pretty well a lot of my feelings with those first 3 movies.

Polluxlm - are they really having a different director for the next movie?  That's crazy particularly when this one was so successful, plus I would think it could also make the movies somewhat disjointed??

Darth Emo - we have him now Kylo Ren/Marilyn Manson.  I agree wth what you say Polluxlm that having him with a disfigured face or something would be a rip off of Vader, but to have some androgynous looking school boy face just didn't seem right.  I probably could have tolerated it if he only took his mask off once but it felt like he was taking it off every other second so reduced the impact of the character and his supposed dark side/evilness.  It's a bit like Anakin in the PT even when he was turning bad he just didn't look right to me (maybe it was the casting or the script - or both), he was just not believable.

That said all these things with the new movie were minor to me, I really enjoyed it and give JJ a big tick of approval for his efforts.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

Im not positive, but im guessing it was jj abrams decision to not direct the 2nd one.  Had to be alot of pressure and a huge undertaking in writing the scripts, casting, set design, inventing characters, desinging the droids and ships etc.  That, plus marketing, dealing with toy company deadlines and now hes probably on a whole publicity and interview tour etc.... it would be too much to just pick up and shoot the next one. They are probably working on it now.

Dont get me wrong, im sure hes involved and overseeing it in some ways, just not directing it. I would guess the director was handpicked by him as well.  Is it known if hes directing the third one?  Also, could they split the 3rd one into two?  (Like the Harry Potter, Hunger Games finales)

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

PaSnow wrote:

Im not positive, but im guessing it was jj abrams decision to not direct the 2nd one.  Had to be alot of pressure and a huge undertaking in writing the scripts, casting, set design, inventing characters, desinging the droids and ships etc.  That, plus marketing, dealing with toy company deadlines and now hes probably on a whole publicity and interview tour etc.... it would be too much to just pick up and shoot the next one. They are probably working on it now.

Dont get me wrong, im sure hes involved and overseeing it in some ways, just not directing it. I would guess the director was handpicked by him as well.  Is it known if hes directing the third one?  Also, could they split the 3rd one into two?  (Like the Harry Potter, Hunger Games finales)

If you've seen recent interviews with JJ, he's exhausted. Not Joss Whedon/Avengers 2 exhausted; but tired and needing a break none the less. Also it's best to get a fresh set of eyes for each movie. You don't want to stay at the party for too long. Plus...JJ has definitely learned and taken feedback from the Star Trek movies on what should be the best move for this particular franchise. He has a huge passion for Star Wars and knew how to approach it the right way while pleasing fans and introducing newcomers at the same time. Even though I liked them; I will admit he knocked it out the park with the Force Awakens. Lucasfilm has a huge story team already set in motion with Simon Kimberg whose worked on the X-Men movies as well as Larry Kasdan. With Rian Johnson, you know you are in good hands. Yes both JJ and Kathelyn Kennedy (who is George Lucas's successor) picked him. That doesn't mean he's completely done with the franchise; but the way Lucasfilm and Disney are looking at it is that they want each movie to be it's own while continuing the story left off by the previous one besides the spin off "Anthology" films which take place in different time periods. Which allows the director to have a little more freedom in order to work with the characters as they please with following what JJ has already established with Episode 7. He will still be a producer and creative consultant on the other Episodic movies. He will look over them. The third one, Episode 9/lX will be directed by Colin Trevorrow (Jurassic World). Kinda wanted Spielberg or Matthew Vaughn; but I'm optimistic about the pick. Rian Johnson will still co-write and produce that movie too. No they are not going to split Episode 9 into 2 movies. The second part movie will be Episode 10 if they want to make more, then 11, 12, and so on. These movies are a passing of the torch with Episode 7 being the last time you'll see the original trio on the big screen again. So by Episode 9, 10, whoever is still alive and kicking in those movies will be the big face or faces of the franchise here on out. From what I saw with 7/The Force Awakens, I want to see more from Finn, Rey, Poe, Chewie, BB-8, more R2, and of course Luke fucking Skywalker. Hopefully more development from them as well as General Leia.

People seem to forget George Lucas before turning over Lucasfilm to Bob Iger, Kathelyn Kennedy, and Disney he gave treatments to 7, 8, and 9 before a full script was written. But...he also had concepts for Episodes 10, 11, and 12 that were written years ago. They didn't use his ideas and probably won't for the rest of the franchise; but they can always cherry pick if they ever need to for their TV shows or future films. It's all on the table. I mean they cherry picked Expanded Universe material for the new movies, the Clone Wars, and Rebels. Since that material is no longer canon and is under the "Legends" division. They just give research credits to those who wrote some of those ideas with the new Lucasfilm story group, the main screenwriters, etc etc. Abrams and Kasdan did use the original screen writer, Micheal Ardnt's ("Toy Story 3") first rough draft for Episode 7 for certain story elements and character traits. Which he got a screenplay credit for in the final version.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:
Me_Wise_Magic wrote:

If you've seen recent interviews with JJ, he's exhausted. Not Joss Whedon/Avengers 2 exhausted; but tired and needing a break none the less.

Film directing can be an exhausting job on any budgetary scale, because the individual workload is more or less the same. On independent level, there's more hands-on work related to other work areas, such as producing and logistics. On mega-budget, there are all the talking heads that are worried about their jobs. These people oft work in marketing, meaning it's tiresome to find a creative bone in their body.

If you put the honest effort in, it's draining and going for seconds straight-up is really the last thing I'd imagine Abrams would want. This also has to do with the scheduling demands. Star Wars is a holiday tentpole - the finished product needs to be turned in on a specific date, or shit will happen like a domino effect. If a delivery date is missed, the big machine that supplies the DCP's to theater chains runs on empty and you can imagine where that leads. The ad campaigns become a huge and embarrassing misfire if the finished film is non-existent on the date given. Words like clusterfuck or quagmire hardly begin to cover it.

Still to see the latest Mission Impossible, but I noticed a passing mention by the producers on how writer-director Christopher McQuarrie has "not been sleeping" for months in order to meet the delivery date given. I'm fairly sure they meant it. It can be a great job, but one needs to love the craft an insane amount to go through the punishment that sometimes comes with the territory.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

So outside of really rumors & speculation, is there an official plan for whats next?  I know the next one VIII comes out Summer 2017.  So how about 9 IX?  2019 or 2020?  And are they making a 10, 11, & 12?   Is it sorta turning in James Bond & just going on & on?

Also, Mr Wise Magic, did you say they're making a TV show?

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
PaSnow wrote:

I look at it like this, if jj abrams couldve he would make 250 million different movies to satisfy everyones tastes, ideas, and expectations.  And theyd all be satisfied. However theres not enough money or time in the universe, so he couldnt.  So of course he cannot meet every imdb nitwits ideas.  This thread itsellf has  become an example, some of us are saying it copied the original too much, then another post said kylo renn should have had a nasty scar or deformity when he took his helmet off, directly copying darth vader.

Lets look at some of the thinfs i felt jj abrams did great.  BB8, runaway stormtrooper was ballsy, female protagonist to carry the film,,  raz (?) The wise character at the cantina, making leia a general not just a silly, dated era princess, doing away with the cell phone technology liam neeson used (i thought that was a cheesy makeup call for not forseeing that in the originals....   theres more, so lets admit he did alot, alot great. I thought c3po having the red arm was a cool, unique idea. Just a small thing.

I do agree tho i want the storyline arc copying to stop in the next one. Obviously i dont want that to parallel empire so it needs to be completely original.

Also, can we stop doing the spoiler tags soon. Myb new years day or something.  If u havent seen the movie by then u could just not come into the thread.  Not sure why u would if u hadnt seen it anyway, unless its not open overseas yet or something?

I just saw it today and avoided this thread until now just in case. I thought it was great.

Hidden Text:

Are we not going with the premise that Rae is Luke's daughter and that's why she has so much familiarity with the force?

Me_Wise_Magic

apex-twin wrote:
Me_Wise_Magic wrote:

If you've seen recent interviews with JJ, he's exhausted. Not Joss Whedon/Avengers 2 exhausted; but tired and needing a break none the less.

Film directing can be an exhausting job on any budgetary scale, because the individual workload is more or less the same. On independent level, there's more hands-on work related to other work areas, such as producing and logistics. On mega-budget, there are all the talking heads that are worried about their jobs. These people oft work in marketing, meaning it's tiresome to find a creative bone in their body.

If you put the honest effort in, it's draining and going for seconds straight-up is really the last thing I'd imagine Abrams would want. This also has to do with the scheduling demands. Star Wars is a holiday tentpole - the finished product needs to be turned in on a specific date, or shit will happen like a domino effect. If a delivery date is missed, the big machine that supplies the DCP's to theater chains runs on empty and you can imagine where that leads. The ad campaigns become a huge and embarrassing misfire if the finished film is non-existent on the date given. Words like clusterfuck or quagmire hardly begin to cover it.

Still to see the latest Mission Impossible, but I noticed a passing mention by the producers on how writer-director Christopher McQuarrie has "not been sleeping" for months in order to meet the delivery date given. I'm fairly sure they meant it. It can be a great job, but one needs to love the craft an insane amount to go through the punishment that sometimes comes with the territory.

Definitely understand that. Speaking of McQuarrie (I still need to see the fifth one as well.), there are rumors that he did a re-write on the shooting script for Star Wars: Rogue One which is coming out next Christmas directed by Gareth Edwards (Godzilla '14 and Monsters). So that means they are taking these films' productions very seriously. Script doctors come in all the time on projects. Also I think McQuarrie is sticking around for the 6th M.I. movie as well.

Me_Wise_Magic

faldor wrote:
PaSnow wrote:

I look at it like this, if jj abrams couldve he would make 250 million different movies to satisfy everyones tastes, ideas, and expectations.  And theyd all be satisfied. However theres not enough money or time in the universe, so he couldnt.  So of course he cannot meet every imdb nitwits ideas.  This thread itsellf has  become an example, some of us are saying it copied the original too much, then another post said kylo renn should have had a nasty scar or deformity when he took his helmet off, directly copying darth vader.

Lets look at some of the thinfs i felt jj abrams did great.  BB8, runaway stormtrooper was ballsy, female protagonist to carry the film,,  raz (?) The wise character at the cantina, making leia a general not just a silly, dated era princess, doing away with the cell phone technology liam neeson used (i thought that was a cheesy makeup call for not forseeing that in the originals....   theres more, so lets admit he did alot, alot great. I thought c3po having the red arm was a cool, unique idea. Just a small thing.

I do agree tho i want the storyline arc copying to stop in the next one. Obviously i dont want that to parallel empire so it needs to be completely original.

Also, can we stop doing the spoiler tags soon. Myb new years day or something.  If u havent seen the movie by then u could just not come into the thread.  Not sure why u would if u hadnt seen it anyway, unless its not open overseas yet or something?

I just saw it today and avoided this thread until now just in case. I thought it was great.

Hidden Text:

Are we not going with the premise that Rae is Luke's daughter and that's why she has so much familiarity with the force?

Hidden Text:

I think she is or she is related to the Skywalkers in some other way. There's a possibility that when Kylo Ren betrayed Luke and killed his other Jedi in training that he may of killed Luke's potential wife and the mother of Rey as well. Also Luke probably used the Force to wipe some of Rey's memory when she was a little girl; so she didn't have to deal with the burden. Other theories are that she is related to Obi Wan Kenobi due to his voice (both Ewan McGregor and edited dialogue from the old movies with Alec Guinness in the background of the movie's flash back scene. Which may take in the future and bits of the past. The past being the 20-30 years of what happened after the plot of Return of the Jedi. It's possible that Obi Wan himself may of had a relationship with someone when in hiding after Revenge of the Sith maybe a child was born that he didn't know about during A New Hope. It's not out of the question because he was in love with someone before he joined the Jedi order as well as reuniting with her years later during the Clone Wars. In which the show is still canon. Lastly, another theory that's going around is maybe Snoke knows more about Rey than he let on. I think Supreme Leader Snoke ("the hologram talking to Kylo Ren and played by Andy Serkis is really a revived Darth Plagus who is first talked about in a scene in Revenge of Sith and is like the Clone Wars, canon and set up for repercussions. Judging from posters, I do believe Kylo Ren and Rey are long lost cousins.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

Saw it last night...I thought they did a good job of capturing the feel of a starwars movie

Hidden Text:

was confused by rey's familiarity with a lightsaber...being Luke's daughter would be the likely reason...but when fighting this champion of the Knights of ren...not sure what that entails but you'd figure he would have some kind of skill

Another death star ... really? The bad guys should figure out a better way to spend their $$$ lol

All in all tho it was pretty cool...I'll likely go see it again in the theater

Board footer