You are not logged in. Please register or login.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

Re: Brian May Talks About Catcher n The Rye

tejastech08 wrote:
GNRBABY wrote:
Neemo wrote:

i think Axl was talking about Brain Mantia, not Brian May? or did i read t hat all wrong?

This is correct. Axl was talking about Brain, not Brian May.

No offense to Brain but I don't think Axl would refer to him as a "rock legend." He was clearly talking about Brian May's work. Of the two, I think I would tend to believe Brian's story more than Axl's.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

I'm confused where the Brain connection comes in at all.

TheMole
 Rep: 77 

TheMole wrote:
GNRBABY wrote:
Neemo wrote:

i think Axl was talking about Brain Mantia, not Brian May? or did i read t hat all wrong?

What do you base this on? To me it's obvious from the context he was talking about Brian May. It would be very surprised if he was talking about a drum solo and referring to Brain as a "rock legend".

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:

as i said weeks ago, axl took brian's solo off so he didn't have to pay royalties. his poor explanation confirms this.

estrangedpaul
 Rep: 5 

GNRBABY wrote:
Neemo wrote:

What are you joking? Someone asked Axl why Brian May was taken off Catcher In The Rye? Why the hell would he talk about Brain who was on Catcher In The Rye. Makes no sense.

Neanderpaul
 Rep: 1 

Neanderpaul wrote:

Either way, it doesn't really matter. The song is what it is. The masses will never hear what Brian did. And quite frankly, aren't really interested in what did come out. Although it gives people something to discuss. Knowing how selective certain people are regarding events, and combined with Brian May's reputation as completely credible, I'd tip the scales toward his recollections. But this is really smoke n' mirrors to distract from the real things people were focused on; Chinese Democracy has been a disappointment. And, the reunion rumors. Remember...nobody said it wasn't happening. They're all saying "there are no plans." Which means lawyers, and managers are working feverishly behind the scenes to see if it's possible. The rumor is that the Slash/Axl bitchfest needs to work itself out. After that...all is considered a go. We'll see.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:
estrangedpaul wrote:
GNRBABY wrote:
Neemo wrote:

What are you joking? Someone asked Axl why Brian May was taken off Catcher In The Rye? Why the hell would he talk about Brain who was on Catcher In The Rye. Makes no sense.

relax...i didnt remember the context of the answer axl gave i just remembered the comment about brain or brian, and i couldnt remember which...i already apologised for my mistake, take a breather man 15

Bright Eyes 2005
 Rep: 27 

Neanderpaul wrote:

Either way, it doesn't really matter. The song is what it is. The masses will never hear what Brian did. And quite frankly, aren't really interested in what did come out. Although it gives people something to discuss. Knowing how selective certain people are regarding events, and combined with Brian May's reputation as completely credible, I'd tip the scales toward his recollections. But this is really smoke n' mirrors to distract from the real things people were focused on; Chinese Democracy has been a disappointment. And, the reunion rumors. Remember...nobody said it wasn't happening. They're all saying "there are no plans." Which means lawyers, and managers are working feverishly behind the scenes to see if it's possible. The rumor is that the Slash/Axl bitchfest needs to work itself out. After that...all is considered a go. We'll see.

Ok, by GNR's prior standards, this is a huge disapointment.  By realistic standards/expectations, which it seems Axl and the new mgt. were keen to, this is not doing that bad, all things considered.  In fact, I think this in a way sets them free to release another album of work, if they want.  I do agree a reunion is ultimately what will happen, but if Axl wants to release the second album of music, that is cool too--esp. for the diehard fanbase.

So the album has SCANNED 350K in the U.S. to date (SCANNED over 1 million internationally) in three weeks--through a distributor who is in dire straits, and quite frankly WILL NOT admit that they had no money to spend on advertising or setting up more in-store promo than a few cardboard boxes, etc.  Best Buy did virtually no cross marketing in-store, zero employee awareness (no memo to employees--yes we have a highly anticipated product here, buy it yourselves, tell friends, tell customers, etc.), were not even unboxing CD's in many stores on the date of the official public release (lack of employee awareness, motivation smells like a company in the last throes of survival), and in many cases had horrid display/window space in store for the product. My business senses tell me, that this will slide down to pushing 10K a week soon--but if the drivel of information and controversy continues to surround the band, it may sell 10K a week for quite some time. 

So, if it does 10K a week, for half of the year, domestically, it will push another 240K or so just in the 1st half of next year.  If, one of the ballads becomes a semi-hit, they may get a spike or two along the way.  I bet, by June or so, they are nearing the 750K mark domestically.  That is not bad at all.  I also think, they will be pushing 2 million internationally.  Really, with the band changes, no touring yet for the album, etc.--that is not that bad.  And, for Universal, the icing on the cake is this--they have already SOLD over 2 million copies of this worldwide.

Now, this is just business chatter--as the most important thing is the quality of the music, sales and commercial success aside.  If the product is viable, even if it is not made to appeal to the masses, the artist has succeeded--at least for himself.:beer::peace:

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:

I don't believe in the blame BB theory. They ordered 1.3 million copies and paid for that. That's a lot of money and as it seems, there is little to no chance for them to capitalize on it. Maybe in some stores the employees were lazy, I don't know, but they couldn't have done more to promote it without the GN'R camp's involvement. Not releasing a video and not giving interviews were the biggest mistakes.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:

I don't believe in the blame BB theory. They ordered 1.3 million copies and paid for that. That's a lot of money and as it seems, there is little to no chance for them to capitalize on it. Maybe in some stores the employees were lazy, I don't know, but they couldn't have done more to promote it without the GN'R camp's involvement. Not releasing a video and not giving interviews were the biggest mistakes.

Putting it in Best Buy instead of Wal-Mart was the biggest mistake. Wal-Mart is everywhere, Best Buy isn't. And people go to Wal-Mart not for electronics crap but mainly for groceries and essential things. In a time of huge economic struggle across the country, electronics go out the window and it gets down to the bare essentials as far as what people are willing to shop for.

Board footer