You are not logged in. Please register or login.

otto
 Rep: 83 

Re: What Are You Listening To?

otto wrote:

Went to a concert this weekend, Maroon 5 because of my girl... Keane opened... Got hooked up by this song:

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

johndivney wrote:

great creedence tune
i fucking HATE keane

np: cat power - sun
took awhile to click, its a bit of a departure from here prev stuff. but now im addicted its beautiful.

[youtube]_nl3Oo4-IQ4&feature=related[/youtube]
play it loud.

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

RussTCB wrote:

Forgot to look at this post earlier; but dude I've been listening to CCR frequently these past few days thanks to the Chronicle CD I got of their big hits at Best Buy and it was on sale for $5. Originally the price tag said $9. Five bucks for my favorite songs from them. Looking out my back door is becoming one of my favs. Of course Up Around the Bend, Bad Moon Rising, Down on the Corner, ...fucking Fortunate Son...and others! 9

Me_Wise_Magic

Ronald Reagan

They are a saxaphone duo that cover some of the big 80s power pop ballads using their voices and saxes. They are hilarious! One of the three opening acts to the Amanda Palmer and Grand Theft Orchestra concert I went to Wednesday night in DC which went good just took forever for some of the bands to get on stage, food & drinks were overpriced, and my friends canceled at the last second without refunding my money. So I had two spare tickets. Besides that everyone played great and Amanda's band was on fire musically and I got to see about 90% of the whole show besides dealing with some personal issues on the inside. Great chemistry to the bands too. This video footage isn't from the concert I went to; but an earlier performance somewhere else. I got their EP at the gift shop for $5.

This is their "cover" of the classic Total Eclipse of the Heart. They do Don't Stop Believing, Beat It, Take on Me, and other hits. Everyone was singing along and it's a great start up act when everybody starts to get a lil' tipsy and wants to sing along.

Me_Wise_Magic

Other songs that have been playing consistently on my computer. big_smile

Love 'em so!!!

johndivney wrote:

Tempest.

it's just alrite. better than modern times/together thru life, not as good as love & theft & nowhere near time out of mind.
reminds me a little of some of his 80s albums in terms of quality. some absolute stunners, some self-indulgent & maybe even some less worthy songs all mixed-in. when it's good it's typically righteous when it's not it's dull & same old same old. the formula is stale, there's none of the imagination of say New Morning/Desire, or even Infidels/Slow Train: he's been on this same bent now for a while & it's losing it's shine, more variety wouldn't go amiss.
but he still does pack a punch. as always some of his lyrics & delivery are sublime/hilarious/heartbreaking & some of the tunes really rattle on, nearing the intoxicating best songs of recent times & when he goes brooding he's still the master.

so a mixed bag really.

Sky Dog wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jEaqDFQnGM

Alligator by the Grateful Dead...holy shit, what a jam.

Sky Dog wrote:
johndivney wrote:

Tempest.

it's just alrite. better than modern times/together thru life, not as good as love & theft & nowhere near time out of mind.
reminds me a little of some of his 80s albums in terms of quality. some absolute stunners, some self-indulgent & maybe even some less worthy songs all mixed-in. when it's good it's typically righteous when it's not it's dull & same old same old. the formula is stale, there's none of the imagination of say New Morning/Desire, or even Infidels/Slow Train: he's been on this same bent now for a while & it's losing it's shine, more variety wouldn't go amiss.
but he still does pack a punch. as always some of his lyrics & delivery are sublime/hilarious/heartbreaking & some of the tunes really rattle on, nearing the intoxicating best songs of recent times & when he goes brooding he's still the master.

so a mixed bag really.

listened to some clips....didn't hear the catchiness of something like Thunder on the Mountain, Workingman Blues #2 or Someday Baby. Modern Times wasn't bad and neither was Together Thru Life (about half of each album is good).

johndivney wrote:

yea both those albums are good, & so is this new one. however they're not good enough.

imo L&T was his last brilliant LP & TOOM is one of his best ever, Oh Mercy's somehwere in between.

i'm a little disappointed in that he seems settled in his character/persona & is treading the same water as the last decade plus.

Board footer