You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Re: Axl Rose Insists Original Guns N' Roses Lineup Is Dead and Buried

Olorin wrote:

He could make people wanna hear them by bigging them up and actually putting in a little effort to praise the album. Their not that bad, not bad at all. I would love to hear some of them songs live, Prostitute would be killer, Brain's drumming is awesome. Scraped would rock as well!

I thought at the time Robins manner of departure was iffy and it suggested all was not well. I dont think he would have went back to NIN if he had faith in Axl. I think he knew it was going to another long period of inactivity and just decided to bail and see what steps they would take. Giving that noone seems to have had much communication with him it seems like any fears he had on GN'Rs focus on moving forward, were justified. After experiencing the slick operation and professionalism of NIN again, would he want to go back to GN'R?

Intercourse
 Rep: 212 

Intercourse wrote:

I'm willing to be that Robin left for two reasons:
1. Many of the songs he helped write were not appearing on the album despite his 10 years of had work.
2. Axl was falling out with the label about the release and continuing to hold things up (artwork etc) and he just had enough.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
Olorin wrote:

He could make people wanna hear them by bigging them up and actually putting in a little effort to praise the album. Their not that bad, not bad at all. I would love to hear some of them songs live, Prostitute would be killer, Brain's drumming is awesome. Scraped would rock as well!

I thought at the time Robins manner of departure was iffy and it suggested all was not well. I dont think he would have went back to NIN if he had faith in Axl. I think he knew it was going to another long period of inactivity and just decided to bail and see what steps they would take. Giving that noone seems to have had much communication with him it seems like any fears he had on GN'Rs focus on moving forward, were justified. After experiencing the slick operation and professionalism of NIN again, would he want to go back to GN'R?

You could argue Robin is a big part of the reason there hasn't been any forward movement by the band.  They're missing a key component from Chinese Democracy, one of the lead guitarists.  I don't know for sure, but if he never left things might be a lot different right now.  We don't know why he left exactly because he's never commented on it.  Everyone assumes it's because Axl's an asshole and everyone eventually leaves him and he was sick of waiting around and just wanted to tour.  We don't know that for certain though.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

People want to hear about Chinese Democracy, not Slash.

That's not entirely true.

While WE wanna hear about Chinese Democracy, most fucks wanna hear about Slash. That's what they know GNR from. Isn't it you who always say CD didn't sell for shit? Well there you go. People don't wanna hear about CD, they wanna hear about Slash, Duff, Izzy and Appetite. 5

To say the band is dead is to neglect how GNR works. What history has taught us. For some reason, not know to us, it always rises again. From 93 and from 02. Died in 2008? Ah come on. Way to early to tell. Suddenly a tour pops up. History has taught us JUST that. I'm not claiming GNR to be dead as long as Axl lives.

Olorin

Olorin wrote:
faldor wrote:

You could argue Robin is a big part of the reason there hasn't been any forward movement by the band.  They're missing a key component from Chinese Democracy, one of the lead guitarists.  I don't know for sure, but if he never left things might be a lot different right now.  We don't know why he left exactly because he's never commented on it.  Everyone assumes it's because Axl's an asshole and everyone eventually leaves him and he was sick of waiting around and just wanted to tour.  We don't know that for certain though.

You could argue that, a cynic might say your clutching at straws, but you could argue that smile

faldor

faldor wrote:
Olorin wrote:
faldor wrote:

You could argue that, a cynic might say your clutching at straws, but you could argue that smile

I don't know.  I'm sure Robin had valid reasons for leaving but don't you think his leaving made things difficult for the rest of the band?  I mean IF he had never left they could easily have been touring right now in support of the album but without him that's not as realistic.

Olorin

Olorin wrote:
DCK wrote:

To say the band is dead is to neglect how GNR works. What history has taught us. For some reason, not know to us, it always rises again. From 93 and from 02. Died in 2008? Ah come on. Way to early to tell. Suddenly a tour pops up. History has taught us JUST that. I'm not claiming GNR to be dead as long as Axl lives.

Has anyone actually seen Axl recently? Who's to say he is really still with us and its not some ghostwriter with a twisted motive for keeping up the pretense?
Poor guy could be pushing up daisies and most of us are giving him his worst bashing in years.

Olorin

Olorin wrote:

I think Robin put his heart and soul into GN'R, he stepped up to the plate big time after Buckethead left. I honestly dont think he would leave GNR in the lurch if there was any suggestion of the band going out and working.
Hey mabye he is a selfish bastard, I dont know. But I just dont get that impression from the guy.

He seems hurt by something though, suddenly GNR is taboo. Strange.

faldor

faldor wrote:
Olorin wrote:

I think Robin put his heart and soul into GN'R, he stepped up to the plate big time after Buckethead left. I honestly dont think he would leave GNR in the lurch if there was any suggestion of the band going out and working.
Hey mabye he is a selfish bastard, I dont know. But I just dont get that impression from the guy.

He seems hurt by something though, suddenly GNR is taboo. Strange.

I agree, as I said before I'm sure he had valid reasons for leaving.  He may have gotten to the point that many of us reached and thought CD would never see the light of day.  It even seems as this was forced in the end so if Axl had his way we may not have gotten it to this point.  BUT, it did come out, for whatever reason.  IF Robin was still in the band and hadn't gone back to NIN they'd be able to do a lot more now.  I'm not blaming Robin or Axl, that's just the way it is.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
WeTheLiving wrote:

Not that i know what Robin is thinking, or to put words in his mouth, but, i believe as time goes on, and the more crazy this things get, with the "interview" that just took place and the lack of reception of the album, he's probably less likely to return. What would be the upside for him?

I'm not sure...Robin seems to have avoided comment on Axl, which would be the thing to do to keep the door open, meanwhile Axl says it's the nature of their friendship that they chat when they have a project on. Meanwhile trent has announced he is putting NIN to sleep after the current dates this year. What will Robin do then? Why not give Axl a call and help him set up a GNR tour? Especially now he plays on a GNR album.  The upside is he gets to keep doing what he enjoys doing - playing live in a major act, and all the benfits that goes with it.

WeTheLiving wrote:

It looks as if whats irking Axl is that there is a growing consensus that he does need Slash, and he just can't deal with that.

I think what Axl needs is others at his talent level, and preferably, a guitarist that commands respect in musical circles. Slash does that because his blues playing is exceptional, Bucket does that because of his formidiable technique and unusual approach.

My opinion is that if new GNR had had more of the CD era material finished in the early part of this decade, if their 'return' had been marketed with a more traditional immage...(bucketheads unusal look is tough but catchy - but coupled with Axl's rap look and Robin's gothicy appearance at the time was too tough to sell all at once), and had they kept Bucket+Axl together as a cohesive unit - and maybe done some apperances together then the band would have received a lot more recgonition.

People will always miss the old band because they were iconic. I think anything with Axl + Slash would fly as GNR, and likewise I think if a similar Axl + Bucket relationship had been allowed to foster in the public's mind - through appearances together (even controversy or whatever) - and if bucket had been shown off better (simply shredding at the speed  of Notthingham Lace or Soothsayer alone would convince like 90% of rock fans you are cool - but instead his solo spot on the gig is him dancing and using ninja toys.) It could have worked.

Bands as good as old GNR don't just come along every 5 mins. There's very few people in the world with such good skills and chemestry. I think most of the delays were basicly Axl trying to find people he doesn't massively upstage.

He's managed to make a kickass album in the end! It's just a shame the pragmatics of that made it hard for the public to be presented with one clear version of what GNR is.

Board footer