You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Re: Dissecting Chinese Democracy: Track 2 - Shackler's Revenge

Neemo wrote:
faldor wrote:

Neemo, not sure you can say the song never took off.  Has it ever been launched?  I know it was on Rock Band, but is that really giving it a fair shot?  They play this song on Sirius/XM Octane quite a bit, I think it could be accepted if it was given a push (video, etc. etc. you know the story).

I know that the reception was lukewarm at best and its only gotten colder as time has worn on...but based on the praise SR is getting in this thread so far i guess it has its little niche in the online commmunity smile

faldor wrote:

Axl - could you please talk at all about what inspired the lyrics to Shackler's Revenge?

Dexter (Axl): Shackler's was inspired by the insanity of senseless school shootings and also the media trying desperately to make more out of one shooter's preference for the Guns song Brownstone to no avail.

hmmm, no i didnt remember that, the one i remembered was when the title was first made known in the Rockband II setlist on the video game site...maybe it was brain or something that gave a little insite to the Shackler and that it was a horror character that bucket cooked up...if any could find that quote i would  be most grateful smile

Still, I wonder if there's version out there with Bucket on it.  Considering he helped write it, I'd guess there is.

We've breifly spoken about this before bigbri, but one has  to wonder the elvel of completeness that the song was at when Bucket left...maybe it was just a bare bones kinda demo and ron fleshed it all out?

Also one has to wonder if Robin was largely stripped from the song...remember the eve or release of this track saw Robin leave the fold to tour the world with NIN?

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:

I always hated this song, an uninspired Zombie rip-off. Nothing original and the chorus reminds me of the worst 80s hair band stuff except that the music is different. But not better. A typical throw-away track with weak lyrics. It shouldn't have been on CD, a Rockband-type relase would have been more than enough.

I like Ron's solo though.

Sky Dog wrote:

The chorus kills the song for me, but I have grown to enjoy the entire instrumental and vocally the first two verses prior to the solo....can't listen to the outro just because it is the chorus just repeated over and over

AtariLegend wrote:
madagas wrote:

The chorus kills the song for me, but I have grown to enjoy the entire instrumental and vocally the first two verses prior to the solo....can't listen to the outro just because it is the chorus just repeated over and over

The second chorus is FORTY FUCKING SECONDS LONG...!

Love the album, but hate this song. It's dies after the opening 3 seconds for me.

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:

like the song, listen to it once in a great while. like riad, the chorus doesn't fit the rest of the song. these two songs could destroy anything out there today if the choruses were mean like the rest of the song/s.

Buzzer Beater
 Rep: 3 

I'm mixed on this one because at first listen there was just too much going on in the song, but as I tried listening to the individual pieces there is some amazing playing going on.  The stuff Ron added with fretless guitar is really cool.  I like his solo as well.  When its put all-together is still sounds messy to me though.  I can't even imagine what it sounds like live.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I would have liked to hear a rawer version. Right now it sounds like the album version of Chinese Democracy... Which is why it does fit the album, to me anyway. I think it suffers from being over-produced with too many people playing on it. But I like it and judging by the success of CD on the radio I think it'd be a pretty smart choice for a single. It's catchier than hell.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

I listened to CD about 2 weeks ago for the first time in a while, and I was surprised this song wasn't that bad. Buzzer Beater is right, it does have too much going on, the verses are all over the place musically, but the chorus has a good foundation. Had this been a more rock song it might be better. I like the fast drum part. Hate the demon voice parts. Too many voices althogether. Pick one & stick with it.

harmon420
 Rep: 20 

harmon420 wrote:

This is probably my second favorite track from the album. The only complaint I have is that it disrupts the flow of the album and at some points, some good guitar work is buried in the mix.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9lZfwu5cLc

I love the guitar work and the drums during the solo hit really fucking hard on my home stereo. I'm not a huge fan of the layered vocals, but I love them on this track.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

Wow, that is some pretty good guitar work. Even the rythym sections make it a decent song. Would love to hear a more raw version of the song.

Board footer