You are not logged in. Please register or login.

strat0
 Rep: 13 

Re: Brain in Modern Drummer (May 2009)

strat0 wrote:
faldor wrote:

Not sure about the b-sides album for Avenged Sevenfold, but they released their self titled album in October 2007.  That's the last album of theirs that I'm aware of.

Yeah the Diamonds In The Rough/Live At The LBC came out in 08 but other than that nothing came out in 08...

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
faldor wrote:

Not sure about the b-sides album for Avenged Sevenfold, but they released their self titled album in October 2007.  That's the last album of theirs that I'm aware of.

Yeah i was talking about that one in 2007...but the sales results are current. IF you look at it:

City of Evil is their 3rd album AND the band's most sucessful and as of 2008 after being relased since 2005...had sold 1,500,000 copies worldwide.

The Self titled album - Avenged Sevenfold has sold over 1,000,000 worldwide.

Are they dead? are they over? Those are enough sales for us to consider them still a viable product.

Chinese democracy has out sold both those albums.

It's all in what you want.

If Avengend Sevenfold isn't a failure at 1.5 mil in 3 years then Chinese isn't a failure at 1.9 mil in whatever in 5 months or whatever it was.

My point - If you want the band to do u2's numbers they are a failure. If you are happy for them to exist at the same level as other more midrange but ongoing bands such as A7X then this album was a perfectly respectable outing sales wise.

Are you guys seriously telling me that for you to consider the band viable they have to be higher than #15 in the worldwide sales figures?

If that's the case then I guess you better brand me a fan boy. Cos I think that's crazy talk.:peace:

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

I'm telling you that for Guns N' Roses, #15 (which I don't believe anyway, but that's another story) is an embarrassment.  If another album is released as GnR, it will take the embarassment to a new level no matter how much promotion there is.

You're really bragging about Guns N' Roses outselling Avenged Sevenfold.  Really?

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

haha...I'm not bragging Buz....but you've made my point exactly.

Why is it wrong to compare the two? Because GNR used to be more famous? Because you demand a higher standard from GNR than anyone else in the industy?

You are talking that this band is a commerical failure...I'm just saying it isn't compared to other legitimate acts..it isn't if you take emotion out of it.

It's only failed when compared to what it once was or what some dream might have been...the actual fault is is with people's expectations.

The funny thing is I see you accusing people of wanting the album to be the second comming, but it's you with the unreasonable expectation and critera for success.

For me, I enjoyed the music, you didn't and that's fine, I'm just saying that if you, or anyone, wanted this album to rule the charts, you can be disapointed, but that is a VERY different proposition from the idea you've been promoting that the band is finished, over and comercially unviable now.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

Guns N' Roses, #15 (which I don't believe anyway, but that's another story) is an embarrassment.

I'm not making things up smile

I got that figure from the International Federation of the Phonographic Industry. You can see the top 50 artists by sales figures here:

http://www.ifpi.org/content/library/top50-2008.pdf

Seems GNR is listed at #14.

Anyway...i guess there's no point us arguing all day, we just have a different perspective and expectations in the end.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

Remember when this thread was about Brain's interview. Good times, those days.

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:

Avenged Sevenfold is not, nor will it ever be, Guns N' Roses.  So I guess I made your point, but really you've confirmed the album as a failure.  Thank you.

One source saying something online isn't going to convince me.  I could have a website up tomorrow with a fancy name saying whatever I wanted it to say.  I never said you made it up, I said I don't believe it.  That hasn't changed.

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:

Just curious since you linked the 2008 report and not the website, where is CD in 2009?  wink

The curiosity factor sold whatever they sold in 08.  Everybody that wants it, has it.  The 09 numbers will be far more telling.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

You might be right about that Buzzaw...guess we will find out at the end of the year...i too would expect it to slump after an intial rush but I'd consider that normal for most albums.

Anyway....it's clear you and I have a different perspective. What I wrote confirms to me that the band is viable. But it also confirms to you that the band is a failure. And that's why I come here, to connect with fans of all different types and outlooks smile So we'll have to agree to disagree on that one. smile

Anyway...sorry for taking over the thread BigBri smile

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

Hey, no problem. I need to be entertained too. I was just making a play for an easy joke. Not my thread anyhow.

Board footer