You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: Angel Down Released Today

Neemo wrote:

Ace how much did Baz "expect" to move on the first week?

anyway those numbers are higher than i anticipated they would be, but i'd be willing to wager that the  fanbase is run dry already so the only direction for the album to go in the charts is down, Baz just isnt a big Draw anymore, yeah hes a fantastic singer, but the style he does, isnt one that is sought after these days.... sad

I bet if Skid Row reunited that they would move 20,000 units in the first week 16 i'm kidding i know  those guys will not reunite any time soon sad

What I don't get is this sounds pretty much like old Skid Row if not better or a bit heavier.   The overall sounds of the two bands with Baz singing sound pretty similiar, the music hadn't changed drastically to not like this if you liked old Skid Row.

AtariLegend wrote:
DoubleTalkingJive wrote:

What I don't get is this sounds pretty much like old Skid Row if not better or a bit heavier.   The overall sounds of the two bands with Baz singing sound pretty similiar, the music hadn't changed drastically to not like this if you liked old Skid Row.

This isn't 1991, Baz is more famous these days for appearing on reality TV shows that very few people watch.

AtariLegend wrote:
DoubleTalkingJive wrote:

This isn't 1991, Baz is more famous these days for appearing on reality TV shows that very few people watch.

I don't mean that, I mean the music itself.   There have been people I have seen post that they only like the old skid row and how great it was but this version of it, isn't all that different.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

Maybe on the surface it isn't different.  The songwriting is terrible from the little bit that I've heard and I've yet to see anyone that has listened to the whole thing say differently.  Just because it "sounds" as good or better than Skid Row doesn't mean it really is.  A technically advanced guitar player can make a crappy song sound better than it really is (isn't that right Buckethead fans?).

AtariLegend wrote:
FunkyMonkey wrote:

Bach to the future

Catriona Mathewson
November 28, 2007 11:00pm

SEBASTIAN Bach is pretty good-humoured about the fact that he spends most interviews talking about Axl Rose, rather than himself.

It's to be expected, really, given that the notoriously reclusive Guns N' Roses singer has broken a recording drought to sing guest vocals on Bach's new solo album Angel Down.

So Bach is ready - tongue firmly in cheek - for a barrage of questions about his new collaborator.

"It's a very amazing historic record," Bach says earnestly. "Everyone's been waiting for the return of one of the world's greatest rock singers - and now I'm back . . . oh, and I also got Axl Rose too."

He then falls about laughing, clearly amused up by his own joke. That's the odd thing. Bach and Rose seem a strange match.

The former Skid Row frontman is a jovial party animal, who has happily starred in a string of reality TV shows from SuperGroup to Celebrity Rap Superstar, while Rose is famous for a) being reclusive and b) having a "feud" with just about every person he's ever met - from Tommy Hilfiger to all the original members of Guns N' Roses.

But for some reason, the pair clicked when Rose texted Bach out of the blue in May last year, while both were in New York. The message read simply: "Hey Bas, it's Axl, are you still around New York City? Do you wanna hang out?"

Bach remembers: "I thought, 'Who's pretending to be Axl?' so I pressed 'call sender' and it was him. It was shocking."

Although Rose has said his text ended a 13-year silence, Bach denies there was a rift.

"There was no rift between me and him," he says. "There was a rift between Axl and the whole planet. He just went away for a long time."

At the time Rose had emerged from seclusion to tour with a re-formed Guns N' Roses (he was the only original member). Bach joined them on stage to sing My Michelle and ended up joining the world tour, playing in Australia earlier this year.

On the road, Rose agreed to record some tracks for Bach's solo album, hitting the studio in August to lay down vocals for lead single (Love is) a Bitchslap; Stuck Inside and the Aerosmith cover Back in the Saddle.

It was a case of returning a favour, Bach says, revealing he recorded backing vocals in January for a track called Sorry, slated to appear on Rose's Chinese Democracy album.

"And sorry, I don't know when it's coming out," he volunteers. (For those who don't know, Rose's Chinese Democracy album has acquired the mythical status of a unicorn in that it's often spoken off but has yet to be sighted. It is possibly one of the most anticipated rock albums in history as it's been 16 years since Rose recorded an album of new material).

Bach, on the other hand has rarely been out of the spotlight since bursting on the world stage in 1989, when his band Skid Row's debut album went five times platinum in the US.

Since then he's been unafraid to try his hand at virtually anything. He's taken the lead in four Broadway musicals, he's played an ageing rocker in teen-drama The Gilmore Girls and more recently Bach forged a career on reality TV.

"I made it as a rock star at 19 years old, so I don't really have anything to prove to anybody but myself," he says of his appearances on car-crash reality shows like MTV's Celebrity Rap Superstar (in which he was beaten earlier this month by Kevin Federline's ex, Shar Jackson, and Girls of the Playboy Mansion star Kendra Wilkinson).

Asked why he agreed to such appearances he says simply "cash". But his recent move to establish his own record label has prompted a new motto: "less TV more CDs".

Bach's new album was seven years in the making and has been earning some pretty glowing reviews, including a slightly premature one from music site undercover.com which declares Angel Down "the metal album of the year, if not the 21st century". As well as the collaborations with Rose, the album includes a co-write with hitmaker Desmond Child (Dude (Looks Like a Lady), Livin' on a Prayer; You Give Love a Bad Name).

There are plans to tour the album in Australia next year, although no dates have been nailed down.

Angel Down is out now through EMI. Listen at www.myspace.com/sebastianbach

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/stor … 21,00.html

AtariLegend wrote:

Can I bump threads, to mention Axl being mentioned more in "Angel Down" reviews than Bach...?

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Fuck the figures, that's for the suits...

So a movie is crap if everyone doesn't go see it on the first 2 days? And a CD sounds bad if more than 6000 people don't buy it in 7 days?

Fuck all that. it's a fun album...goes on my CD player nice and loud!

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

buzzsaw wrote:

Maybe on the surface it isn't different.  The songwriting is terrible from the little bit that I've heard and I've yet to see anyone that has listened to the whole thing say differently.  Just because it "sounds" as good or better than Skid Row doesn't mean it really is.  A technically advanced guitar player can make a crappy song sound better than it really is (isn't that right Buckethead fans?).

That's what kills me.  So it's not Skid Row, it's Sebastian Bach and like it or not he was the signature sound of Skid Row, what makes this really different if a person really liked the old Skid Row.   Why not like this album, I don't get it.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

He was the signature sound vocally, but he didn't write the songs.  Look at his post SR resume.  All he's done is either sing other people's songs or release poorly received CDs of his own.  The guy can sing great, but he can't write good songs.  Once he lost the people writing the songs for him, he's stuck singing songs written by other people.

Board footer