You are not logged in. Please register or login.

TheMole
 Rep: 77 

Re: Some more interesting points in Slash's book that I never knew about

TheMole wrote:

Yeah, but I remember it being next to the Estranged lyrics, specifically for that song.

AtariLegend wrote:
Jameslofton wrote:

If the Axl had done everything Slash wanted, we've never would have heard "Sweet Child O' Mine"...

I don't think anyone can really deny the faults with UYI, regardless of how Slash felt about a solo he created.

Did you read Slash book, have you heard any interview Slash has done over the past few years, any material he turned out...

If everything was Slash idea of great, we'd have no "November Rain", "Estranged", "Coma", "Patience"...

If everyone else was a yes man, we wouldn't have had "Appetite For Destruction".

Sure Axl added in "My World" afterwards without anyone knowing, but as for the rest of the material I don't think Axls influence damaged it all that much.

Rex
 Rep: 50 

Rex wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:
Jameslofton wrote:

If the Axl had done everything Slash wanted, we've never would have heard "Sweet Child O' Mine"...

I don't think anyone can really deny the faults with UYI, regardless of how Slash felt about a solo he created.

Did you read Slash book, have you heard any interview Slash has done over the past few years, any material he turned out...

If everything was Slash idea of great, we'd have no "November Rain", "Estranged", "Coma", "Patience"...

If everyone else was a yes man, we wouldn't have had "Appetite For Destruction".

Sure Axl added in "My World" afterwards without anyone knowing, but as for the rest of the material I don't think Axls influence damaged it all that much.

Slash wrote the music to Coma.  Axl had a hard time coming up with lyrics.

As for Patience, Izzy wrote that.

AtariLegend wrote:
Synyster Gates wrote:

According to Slash he didn't like the song and how long it took to made, it wasn't one of his favorite songs...

Hence if Slash was in charge we never would have heard it, or it would've been a totally different track.

He wanted it to be shorter...

The song is about Slash whenn he OD and died for a short while, before being resuscitated, it is Slash's experience, he wrote more than a few of the lyrics for this song, (one of the few that he did)

Synyster Gates wrote:

Yes he did, that didn't mean Slash liked it by his own account.

Rex
 Rep: 50 

Rex wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:
Synyster Gates wrote:

According to Slash he didn't like the song and how long it took to made, it wasn't one of his favorite songs...

Hence if Slash was in charge we never would have heard it, or it would've been a totally different track.

He wanted it to be shorter...

The song is about Slash went he OD and died for a short while, before being resuscitated, it is Slash's experience, he wrote more than a few of the lyrics for this song, (one of the few that he did)

Synyster Gates wrote:

Yes he did, that didn't mean Slash liked it by his own account.

I heard different about Coma. 

The way I remember was that it was described as Slash's "baby."  He wrote it, and Axl got frustrated with it because he could not come up with any lyrics, then on night, they just all poured out of his head.

Axl: It's like 11 minutes and 45 seconds long, with no chorus. And I think there was only like one verse that somewhat repeats itself. It's Slash's baby - it's his monster. The song used to be called Girth.

Slash: I like "Coma" a lot. It's got a defibrillator in it - you know, the instrument that starts your heart when it's stopped. And there's some EKG beeps too. We were just fucking around, but the song is heavy, and Axl's vocals are gorgeous - I mean really amazing.

Slash didn't like the song?

AtariLegend wrote:
Synyster Gates wrote:

The way I remember was that it was described as Slash's "baby."  He wrote it, and Axl got frustrated with it because he could not come up with any lyrics, then on night, they just all poured out of his head.

Axl: It's like 11 minutes and 45 seconds long, with no chorus. And I think there was only like one verse that somewhat repeats itself. It's Slash's baby - it's his monster. The song used to be called Girth.

Slash: I like "Coma" a lot. It's got a defibrillator in it - you know, the instrument that starts your heart when it's stopped. And there's some EKG beeps too. We were just fucking around, but the song is heavy, and Axl's vocals are gorgeous - I mean really amazing.

I guess Slash didn't remember it that way, after he left the band...

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

jorge76
 Rep: 59 

jorge76 wrote:
TheMole wrote:
Synyster Gates wrote:

He also mentions writing guitar melodies for NR, Estranged, etc, and not getting any writing credit.  He was a little concerned, but let it go because they were actually moving forward.

It's been a while since I took a look at the artwork for UYI, but isn't there a special "thank you" from Axl to Slash in there for the killer guitar melodies?

That's true, and when I was younger I thought that was really cool.

Now that I'm older and know a little more about the recording industry, I realize that that is a way of Slash not getting a writing credit (that is, publishing money/royalties) on a song that without his input wouldn't be close to the beast that it is. 

I love the lyrics and piano to Estranged, but when I think about the song I think about the interview where Gilby was talking about learning the song and just looking over and saying "How the hell do you get that guitar to feedback for a 12 minute song"

dragster
 Rep: 2 

dragster wrote:

Cool thread and reads....some things are new to me smile

Seven
 Rep: 9 

Seven wrote:
russtcb wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:
Synyster Gates wrote:

I guess Slash didn't remember it that way, after he left the band...

Exactly. I think that a lot people just saint Slash. As much as defending Axl gets some of us in trouble, no one ever seems to realize that Slash's story has in fact changed on a lot of things over the years.

Memory anyones is always questionable... Its the Einstein thing.... Perspective, as they change memory becomes less reliable... everyones....

Board footer