You are not logged in. Please register or login.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

Re: Some more interesting points in Slash's book that I never knew about

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Seven
 Rep: 9 

Seven wrote:
russtcb wrote:
Seven wrote:
russtcb wrote:

Exactly. I think that a lot people just saint Slash. As much as defending Axl gets some of us in trouble, no one ever seems to realize that Slash's story has in fact changed on a lot of things over the years.

Memory anyones is always questionable... Its the Einstein thing.... Perspective, as they change memory becomes less reliable... everyones....

Right, so therefore no one should be safe from criticism. My point was that it seems to me that the Slash fans are under the impression that Axl's story is the only one that changes ever. My point is; everyone's does.

Anyone who would Saint any of these guys does not know much about them anyway... They can all be KING ASSHOLES. As much as Ax talks who knows what his story or version is... I  think he is over it anyway, he has his own little world constructed which is what he wants so he gets it. I doubt anyone in his world is to worried about what really happened in the past, they just want to make sure the future involves them so I doubt they are to relevant either. We all pick and chose our constructs to live with ourselves to some extent.

RussTCB

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Seven
 Rep: 9 

Seven wrote:
russtcb wrote:
Seven wrote:
russtcb wrote:

Exactly. I think that a lot people just saint Slash. As much as defending Axl gets some of us in trouble, no one ever seems to realize that Slash's story has in fact changed on a lot of things over the years.

Memory anyones is always questionable... Its the Einstein thing.... Perspective, as they change memory becomes less reliable... everyones....

Right, so therefore no one should be safe from criticism. My point was that it seems to me that the Slash fans are under the impression that Axl's story is the only one that changes ever. My point is; everyone's does.

Anyone who would Saint any of these guys has questionable sense to begin with...

RussTCB

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Deniz
 Rep: 1 

Deniz wrote:

I thought Slash wrote most of the lyrics. I remember the story like this; Slash got real high, and the next morning he found a pizza box infront of him with some lyrics written on it. He then merely remembers writing it the night before.

I only read it once years ago in a forum so it could be biased.

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

Deniz wrote:

I thought Slash wrote most of the lyrics. I remember the story like this; Slash got real high, and the next morning he found a pizza box infront of him with some lyrics written on it. He then merely remembers writing it the night before.

I only read it once years ago in a forum so it could be biased.

I've heard that about other GNR songs, but not Coma. All the articles around the time of UYI all say that Slash wrote the music and Axl wrote the lyrics. I think in one interview Axl said it was a real bitch to write the lyrics for, and he passed out or something trying to write lyrics to the song and then came round and they all just poured out of him. That's from memory but I've read something like that before, I'll try find it.

A Private Eye

Here's some info on Coma that I found in an old HTGTH thread. Most of the info was taken from gnrinfo.tk

Written by: "Coma" was written by Axl and Slash. Axl wrote the lyrics, while Slash wrote the music, probably with some influence from Axl.
Written in: "Coma" was written in or before 1990.

Performed live: "Coma" was played live at least 4 times between 1991 and 1993. It was performed live for the first time in Richfield, OH, June 4, 1991.

Addiional Information: "Coma" was originally called "Girth"

In Their Own Words:

Slash: I wrote some really cool shit when I was high. There's a song called "Coma", a long song, really heavy, and I wrote that loaded.

Duff: We have actually got this song calld "Girth"... Well, it's not going to be called "Girth" on the album, it'll get changed, but it's such a heavy song we call it "Girth" for now. It's named after this guy West [Arkeen], who writes with us sometimes. He's a real little fucker, right? but his dick, it's only about this long but it's like this wide, man! so he got the girth, right? so we call this song "girth"...'

Axl: It's like 11 minutes and 45 seconds long, with no chorus. And I think there was only like one verse that somewhat repeats itself. It's Slash's baby - it's his monster. The song used to be called Girth.

Izzy: It's fuckin' 15 minutes long. And I still don't know it, man. I have to take a special chord chart with me whenever we play it. There's like 50 chords at the end of it and I just can't follow them.

Axl: Writing "Coma" on "Use Your Illusion I" was so heavy I'd start to write and I'd just pass out. I tried to write that song for a year, and couldn't. I went to write it at the studio and passed out. I woke up two hours later and sat down and wrote the whole end of the song, like, just off the top of my head. It was like, don't even know what's coming out, man, but it's coming. I think one of the best things that I've ever written was maybe the end segment of the song "Coma". It just poured out. I thanked Slash for that, because I used to curse him, going, "Man, that son of a bitch has written this thing and I've got to write to it and don't know what to write." It was so hard; it made me feel like, "I don't know how to write, I should just quit." But I finally did write it, and I ended up feeling a lot better about a lot of situations that I expressed in that song.

Slash: I like "Coma" a lot. It's got a defibrillator in it - you know, the instrument that starts your heart when it's stopped. And there's some EKG beeps too. We were just fucking around, but the song is heavy, and Axl's vocals are gorgeous - I mean really amazing.

Axl: I started writing about when I OD'ed 4 years ago. And the reason I OD'ed was cos of stress - I couldn't take it. And
I just grabbed this bottle of pills, in an argument, and just gulped them down. And I ended up in the hospital. But I liked that I wasn't in the fight anymore. And I was fully concious that I was leaving. I liked that. But then I go - all of the sudden my first real thoughts were that 'ok, you havn't toured enough, the records not gonna last, it's gonna be forgotten, listen man, you have work to do. Get out of this!' And I went 'no', and I woke up, and pulled myself out of it.
But in the describing of that, some people could take it wrong, and think this means 'go put yourself into a coma'. And, so, it's really tricky, and I'm still playing with the words, to figure like, how to show some hope in there.

Duff: "Coma" is monstrous!

Slash: Mike put something on the little rhythm part between the chords. I don't know what he used. I was going for a certain kind of a sound. Since I don't use effects, I don't know anything about them, except for echoes. I told him what I wanted, and he managed to pull it out of his rack somehow.

Gilby: "Coma" [gave me most trouble] without doubt. I still don't know it. It's like this 15- or 20-minute song with no
repeats. Oddly enough, I really love playing "Coma" because it's different every time. I also like "Pretty Tied Up" and "Locomotive." I like playing the fast, hard ones.

Deniz
 Rep: 1 

Deniz wrote:

Thanks for the info 22

A Private Eye wrote:

Slash wrote the music, probably with some influence from Axl.

If Axl was cursing to Slash for writing a tune so hard to come up with lyrics to go to, that info doesn't make much sense. Probably another attempt from guys at htgth to try to maximize Axl's contribution.

A Private Eye

Deniz wrote:

Thanks for the info 22

A Private Eye wrote:

Slash wrote the music, probably with some influence from Axl.

If Axl was cursing to Slash for writing a tune so hard to come up with lyrics to go to, that info doesn't make much sense. Probably another attempt from guys at htgth to try to maximize Axl's contribution.

I'll stick up for HTGTH here. The thread was on HTGTH where I found all this info but the info had been taken from gnrinfo and then just pasted into the thread on HTGTH. So it's gnrinfo that put probably with some influence from Axl. It's not an unreasonable guess that Axl offered suggestions how to improve the song or tweaked it to fit his vocals and lyrics, but none of the articles I've ever read about the song give anymore credit to Axl than lyrics. So I think it's guesswork on gnrinfo's part.

Board footer