You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Stacey
 Rep: 31 

Re: Last book you read...

Stacey wrote:

Currently in Book 7 of Charlaine Harris' Sookie Stackhouse novels. The True Blood TV series on HBO is based on these books.
They're very quick reads, very entertaining. I enjoy it a lot.

I have about 7 hours of downtime per day at my job right now and can't use the web, so I've read those 7 books in the past few weeks. Going to have to find a new series to move on to. smile

Also reading The Noticer by Andy Andrews, I'll be finishing that up this weekend. It was recommended to me by my therapist, she actually let me borrow her copy. I see her next weekend, so I want to finish it by then.

I'm thinking about reading The Lovely Bones as well.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

i bought lovely bones for my wife a couple years ago...she loved it...she is also in love with sookie stackhouse

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:

Do This, Get Rich - Jim Brit

really good stuff.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:
TheMole wrote:
Olorin wrote:

Been delving into my Terry Pratchett collection of late, worked my way through quite a few but stalled at Feet Of Clay when I fell off the book wagon and started vegetating in front of the TV again. Started on the most recent one "Unseen Academicals" the other month and struggled to get into it, I might put it off and go back to Feet of Clay and work my way through to it.

Tried very hard to get into "The Colour of Magic", but I just can't. I know people rave about these books like there's no tomorrow, but his style just doesn't work for me. So I'm currently (finally) reading Kafka's "The Trail", just to get that under my belt.

As a side note, are you guys into e-books at all? I'm reading the trial on my Nexus One, and it's surprisingly comfortable for a phone (and damn handy when I need a brake at work wink ).

Terry wasnt an author when he started out, he was a journalist, and his writing style in his early books differs greatly to later ones. Things like structure, plots etc all improve as the early books progress, he really hits top form in the middle of the discworld series imo. The first few books in the series are a bit hard to follow sometimes, there are a couple I dont really go back to cause I dont really remember particuarly enjoying them. I keep meaning to give them another try, but the memory of them being a struggle is still fresh in the memory.

I dont read e-books because looking at computer screens bursts my head and hurts my eyes after prolonged use, even the thought of reading a book on my pc or phone makes me feel queezy.

I love book shops and librarys, the ambience and the smell of those places I find very special. Something about e-books creeps me out and makes me worry for the future of public librarys and small book shops.

Neemo

Neemo wrote:

yeah i love have a book in my hands....reading off of a screen just isnt the same sad

Neemo

Neemo wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Started reading Slash's book a couple days ago. Isn't really all that riveting to be honest, although I haven't made it to where GNR explodes yet.

keep going smile once i got into it i finished it in a couple days

i think it took me 4 days to read the whole thing

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Started reading Slash's book a couple days ago. Isn't really all that riveting to be honest, although I haven't made it to where GNR explodes yet.

And that's quite something between the lines.

Slash says how he comes up to the studio at the set time to find everybody (sans Axl) in the room and develops a habit to go to a strip club across the street to get decently drunk while waiting for Axl. The logical conclusion to this is that Duff, Matt, Paul Huge and the studio crew are twiddling their thumbs while expecting both Axl and Slash to appear.

Axl would be a bit, ahem, Axl, and on top of that, Slash would be drunk, which would piss Axl off. You really have to look hard into Slash's comment on "having a beer with Paul", to which Axl responds, "Why do you want to have a beer with him?" That little exchange goes a long way to illustrate the presiding fundamental differences between the two, as Axl detested Slash's alcoholism, but didn't have the words for it, while Slash tried hard to establish a sense of camaderie within the band, although by not the best possible means.

Takes two to tango, but some of the anecdotes are good.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

Reading "Naked Airport". It's a book about...airports. It's really cool actually.

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Aussie wrote:

I have just been bought Steig Larsson's trilogy of books and have only just opened the first one "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo".

Anybody read this before?  Any feedback?

Stacey
 Rep: 31 

Stacey wrote:
Olorin wrote:
TheMole wrote:

As a side note, are you guys into e-books at all? I'm reading the trial on my Nexus One, and it's surprisingly comfortable for a phone (and damn handy when I need a brake at work wink ).

I dont read e-books because looking at computer screens bursts my head and hurts my eyes after prolonged use, even the thought of reading a book on my pc or phone makes me feel queezy.

I love book shops and librarys, the ambience and the smell of those places I find very special. Something about e-books creeps me out and makes me worry for the future of public librarys and small book shops.

I have a Sony Reader, and I LOVE it. Honestly, at this point, I wouldn't trade it for anything. Take all my other electronics away, and just give me an old straight up cell phone instead of my Android phone, take my iPod, everything - just don't take my Reader. The screen on it is great. I've had two different models so far, and it really does look like ink on paper. I don't get tired of reading on it, and I read for about 5-6 hours per day at work.

I don't, however, think I could read a book from my computer screen or on my phone, I'd probably throw up, lol.

Board footer