You are not logged in. Please register or login.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

Re: Some asshat trying to trash MSL

faldor wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

Wow.  I want a copy of whatever you guys bought in place of CD.  If playing out of tune was considered good, I can see Finck having an audience.  TWAT is horrible except for when bucket plays from a guitar work standpoint.  His little one note line under the verses is 12 year old level at best.  The kid on America's Got Talent is a better guitar player than Finck.  You can give him the emotion point I guess, but playing choppy and out of tune (apparently on purpose) just doesn't cut it at this level.

I'm not the biggest Robin fan in the world but I think he gets a bad rap for the most part.  It's not by mistake that Axl and Trent Reznor have been fighting to have the guy in their bands the last 10 years.

alexh0618
 Rep: 14 

alexh0618 wrote:

I know I'm gonna take a bunch of shit for this but here it goes:

I honestly would take a more Finck-influenced CD over a Bucket one. (Better vs. Shacklers/Scraped anyone??).

Not saying that I don't like Bucket's own material but it seemed his best work on CD was just a solo here and there on songs that were around before he was. The songs that he had a writing credit on were some of the weaker songs on the album IMO.

emcitymisfit
 Rep: 28 

emcitymisfit wrote:
alexh0618 wrote:

I know I'm gonna take a bunch of shit for this but here it goes:

I honestly would take a more Finck-influenced CD over a Bucket one. (Better vs. Shacklers/Scraped anyone??).

Not saying that I don't like Bucket's own material but it seemed his best work on CD was just a solo here and there on songs that were around before he was. The songs that he had a writing credit on were some of the weaker songs on the album IMO.

True, but his additions were far superior to any of Robin's work. Finck only had input on one song, Bucket was all over the CD.

The Twat solo, the sweep picking in Better, the major Chinese Democracy solo, The Riad outro, Prostitute...Bucket was the second most important ingredient to ChiDem in my opinion.

Whazup
 Rep: 6 

Whazup wrote:

Buckethead is freaking awesome

he gave the songs a cool vibe

alexh0618
 Rep: 14 

alexh0618 wrote:
mygnrsucks wrote:

The Twat solo, the sweep picking in Better, the major Chinese Democracy solo, The Riad outro, Prostitute...Bucket was the second most important ingredient to ChiDem in my opinion.

Oh I agree, take their IRS solos for example. Everyone knows Bucket's solo is 346% better than Robin's and it makes the song better. I'm just saying that I prefer Robin's song structure writing on CD over Bucket's even though Robin only got credit for that one song. Lets face it, Better is easily one of the best songs on CD. It shits on Shackers and Scraped and all Sorry has going for it is the BH solo.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
alexh0618 wrote:

Not saying that I don't like Bucket's own material but it seemed his best work on CD was just a solo here and there on songs that were around before he was.

I too would be interested to hear more original songs from fink. He has quite an interesting "voice" on the guitar I think - like he's destinctive. He's quite bluesy, but also has very unusal phrasing and use of dissonance, and he's just quite odd but in a good way to me. Like i say, i loved his playing on CD, it was only his playing of the older songs I had a problem with - i dont think they suited his style well.

I find bucket amazingly hit and miss in general. Like sometimes he can play melodies and with insane speed that just transend guitar playing and go into something truely magical. Like in nottingham lace and soothsayer. In these moments I think he's an incredible talent and awesome guitarplayer. But I can also take or leave a lot of his other stuff: the killswitch gets old, most of his riffs are too funk rather than rock based for me, and the atonal 10 finger tap stuff is awesome sometimes but can get gimicky when overdone.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

I actually love Scraped and Shackler's.  More than Better in fact.  So I guess you can chalk me up for the Buckethead category.  I'm still surprised so many people don't like the "Bucket" songs.

strat0
 Rep: 13 

strat0 wrote:
alexh0618 wrote:
mygnrsucks wrote:

Oh I agree, take their IRS solos for example. Everyone knows Bucket's solo is 346% better than Robin's and it makes the song better. I'm just saying that I prefer Robin's song structure writing on CD over Bucket's even though Robin only got credit for that one song. Lets face it, Better is easily one of the best songs on CD. It shits on Shackers and Scraped and all Sorry has going for it is the BH solo.

Basically you're just saying you prefer Robin's more traditional song structure to Bucket's more.....eclectic...style of writing, right?
I would agree with that on some point. I don't know if I would want to hear an album full of Shacklers and Scraped. It would sound too much like a Bucket album with Axl on vocals for me.

But, who's to say Bucket would do that? I mean in Praxis not every song was like that was it? they had some more normal sounding songs if I remember correctly.

Board footer