You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

Re: The Wrestling thread

misterID wrote:

HHH didn't get a good pop at all last night, even with "he could be retiring." When Lesnar beat him people were chanting "you tapped out."

I don't think he has the same heat anymore.

Lesnar seems to be very popular right now.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:

Not sure what you were watching but the telecast I watched the crowd was chanting "Triple H! Triple H!" and "Thank You Hunter!".

And of course people were chanting "You tapped out" when he lost. That's wrestling. The fans also chant YES YES YES now to piss of Bryant when a few weeks ago they did it in support of him. The fans also booed Hulk Hogan in Toronto when he fought the Rock. The fans also booed HBK when he went up against Hogan.  THAT is wrestling. Chanting "You tapped out" at Triple H means nothing when it comes to his popularity. Watch the product suffer even more without him.

Triple H will always be popular. Brock is popular cause he's new and fresh. One loss and his momentum dies.  He doesn't have the chrisma or ability to carry stopry lines and Paul Heyman's shtick gets old. Nobody gave a shit when Brock fought Cena either. It was Triple H who made the Lesnar vs HHH match appealing.

misterID

misterID wrote:

I'm not the only one who noticed. It's actually been discussed a lot in wrestling circles. People could just be burned out on all the HHH retirement matches, or supposed retirements. He's reaching Flair territory.

The pop he got when he came out surprised me with how mild it was. Plus, there were "You tapped out" signs and "HBK was better than you" signs I noticed in the crowd. That could go to show how popular Brock is, though.

Brock already lost to Cena.

Not saying HHH isn't popular, but I don't think he can carry the company.

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:

A fair bit of revisionist history going on. Nobody gave a shit when Brock fought Cena. Bullshit. Buyrates went up for that PPV over the previous year and that angle was good right up till Cena won and Brock dissapeared off TV for months.

As for the product getting worse without HHH. Here's a good example of when he worsened it. Punk Vs Cena feud that started leading into MITB. Good angle, Triple H gets inserted into it and it goes dead. Like that angle lost so much heat from it.

I think the Lesnar Vs HHH angle still has legs, I think it's good Brock went over and this can easily be progressed to Brock going through another guy or two saying he's destroyed everyone blah blah and then faces Taker at Mania who beats the big bad monster who can't be beaten at Wrestlemania.

Actually would be interested in Punk beating Cena clean at NoC and then Cena winning in HiaC. Cena holds till Rumble loses again to Rock. Punk Vs Rock at Mania. Cena can be used either in that feud as a special guest ref or do something else. Possibly Orton Vs Cena again since it's been since 09 since they feuded properly and they've never had a 1v1 match at Mania.

Other option would be Punk retains until Rumble, loses to Rock. Have Cena Vs Rock II at mania cause Cena wins rumble. Have Taker Vs Lesnar and have Punk Vs Austin. HHH can I dunno, maybe have a retirement match against Flair at Mania OR have him feud with Vince for some reason for the company.

Lots of options available, but Triple H not being on the product isn't going to lead to a decline he wrestles one match every 4 months as it is currently. He's already pretty much off the product.

misterID

misterID wrote:

I like those ideas, but it would be cool if Punk wins the Rumble and gets a The Rock that way. Since the word was that Lawler and Punk were going to have a match on RAW a couple weeks ago, pretty much cements that Punk is going to lose the title at the next PPV and Lawler might be special guest Ref.

Either way, it looks like Punk Vs Rock at Mania is going to happen.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
Axl S wrote:

I think the Lesnar Vs HHH angle still has legs, I think it's good Brock went over and this can easily be progressed to Brock going through another guy or two saying he's destroyed everyone blah blah and then faces Taker at Mania who beats the big bad monster who can't be beaten at Wrestlemania.

Other option would be Punk retains until Rumble, loses to Rock. Have Cena Vs Rock II at mania cause Cena wins rumble. Have Taker Vs Lesnar and have Punk Vs Austin. HHH can I dunno, maybe have a retirement match against Flair at Mania OR have him feud with Vince for some reason for the company.

Lots of options available, but Triple H not being on the product isn't going to lead to a decline he wrestles one match every 4 months as it is currently. He's already pretty much off the product.

HHH vs Lesnar rematch is rumored now to take place at Wrestlemania.  Cena is supposed to face Undertaker now. 

They won't have an Austin returns match and a Rock match at Wrestlemania 29.  If Austin returns, I see him at Wrestlemaina 30.  Just more money to be made that way.

slashsfro

slashsfro wrote:
misterID wrote:

Nice to see Punk blade last night.

Is it me, or do you think Lawler was really pissed about the "nobodies" comment? I ost all respect for Lawler when I found out that he poured real whiskey in Jake The Snake's face when they had that angle and Jake was legit trying to go straight. I've always heard Lawler is a big prick.

This is slightly off topic but Lawler is the only one of the commentators who will leave WWE if Vince tries to yell at him through the headset.  He likes the job for the money and will leave if Vince ever tries to pull that shit on him.  FWIW, I've read that JR is a prick in real life as well.

Bono wrote:

Triple H will always be popular. Brock is popular cause he's new and fresh. One loss and his momentum dies.  He doesn't have the chrisma or ability to carry stopry lines and Paul Heyman's shtick gets old. Nobody gave a shit when Brock fought Cena either. It was Triple H who made the Lesnar vs HHH match appealing.

I'm suprised that you are such a staunch supporter of the guy.  Does HHH still have as much charisma now (in the ring and out of it)?  I can tell you what his promos are going to be without watching the show.  He's been saying the same stuff for the last 5-10 years to be honest and you can basically predict what he's going to say.  In the ring, he's gotten really slow and lumbering.  Not to mean his usual annoying habit of inserting himself into hot angles just for the hell of it like killing the CM Punk angle with the entire stupid Kevin Nash storyline.

Now if you were talking about HBK I'd totally agree.

Axl S wrote:

HHH vs Lesnar rematch is rumored now to take place at Wrestlemania.  Cena is supposed to face Undertaker now. 

They won't have an Austin returns match and a Rock match at Wrestlemania 29.  If Austin returns, I see him at Wrestlemaina 30.  Just more money to be made that way.

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:

Well with Punk now aligned with Heyman, I reckon it's going to be Team Heyman Vs Team HHH at Survivor Series.

misterID

misterID wrote:

So, Lawler legitimately died at ringside and was resuscitated... Man.

slashsfro

slashsfro wrote:

He's doing better now and tout'ed a photo of himself.  I hope he gets better.  That was really scary as you could hear some of it on air.

FWIW, I've been watching some mid90s WWF stuff and Lawler was gold in them.  He just started dropping cultural references left and right.  It annoyed the heck out of Vinnie Mac.  It is far better than his more noticable late 90s-early part of the decade stuff with Jim Ross.

I always enjoyed his 1993 feud with Bret Hart.  He played such a great villan in that feud.  I can't leave out the late 90s ECW feud as well.  That one was well done too.

Board footer