You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: The Wrestling thread

AtariLegend wrote:

Agree with Axlin.

Punk in WCW WTF? He'd never have made it through the door and if it was in the early 2000's he'd have been a jobber stuck with with a Chipendales stripper gimmick fighting for someone's mum on a pole. Seriously WCW 2000 was that bad, any earlier than that and Nash/Hogan ect probably wouldn't have let him wrestle 2 matches.

He'd have thrived in 90's ECW no doubt though. He had the personality and the gimmick.

As for the the Attitude era though, it's a bit iffy. I think he might have had to go the Jeff Hardy route and become a cult favorite before they pushed him. Honestly if it wasn't for Heyman he never would have got his original break in this era, in which they (management) were obviously a lot more picky.

AtariLegend wrote:

Russo lead WCW in 2000 was the worst and most embarrassing things in Wrestling history. The awfulness of the recent Russo TNA era, seems to make people forget that.

Russo in WWF however, very questionable. You had Austin/Taker/The Rock ect. people who weren't out to bury everyone that had alot of self control and let's face it. Even Vince who practically would have been the filter was alot better back then.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

No, I'm thinking how Jericho succeeded in the smaller weight class, which he would have, too. Russo was desperate for an Austin/HBK chracter back then, and to his credit, WCW just didn't have that "guy" for the new age of wrestling that he was aiming for. WWF was stacked on the roster, WCW wasn't and that had everything to do with Bishoff.

Kevin Sullivan had a lot of pull for a lot of years in WCW (why Bishoff, Nash hated him) and I can see Punk having a great run with him. That could have led him to a big run in ECW, imo.

AtariLegend wrote:

I have never seen a Russo interview, where I wasn't convinced he was full of shit.

He wrote a book once called "How WCW Killed Vince Russo". Let me show one video and this is Russo's WCW booking at it's peak http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2zof6 … on-j_sport

AtariLegend wrote:

"To headline the biggest event in entertainment"

I shit you not, that's what they called the Wrestlemania main event in the opening video.

AtariLegend wrote:

So Hulk Hogan returns tonight and probably Undertaker. Not holding breath on Sting yet though.

For those that didn't see the PPV last night. Wyatts/Shield was obviously awesome. The Elimination Chamber wasn't bad, but it was too predictable. I think the crowd will pop big if Bryan wins the title at Wrestlemania, but the damage was done long ago.

Rest of the card was weak and filler. Only remotely entertaining bit, was the crowd reactions during Batista/Del Rio. "Bootista" is my new favorite wrestling chant.

AtariLegend wrote:

It took 60 seconds for Hogan to forget his lines.

GG

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I missed the opening!

I love Cesaro, but he's almost seriously hurt Big E at least three times so far. Some of those moves are close to being totally botched.

AtariLegend wrote:

So it looks like the Wrestlemania card will be the same card most people expected months ago (only with Bryan replacing C.M. Punk). I'm starting to believe that Batista was offered a title run in his new contract and that it's not just some internet silliness.

Honestly apart from Taker/Lesnar which I know some might groan at, I don't really care about anything else so far. This is one of the least imaginative cards ever which is ironic considering they have more talent available now than they have had for a few years at least.

Taker streak's sells itself and Lesnar is almost always awesome (as long as Triple H isn't involved). Sadly Batista/Orton happened like 30 times just a few years ago and Batista is dull, Orton weak. I think it's too soon to give Bray the Cena rub by having him win, so the outcome's predictable. Obviously both aren't bad, but without one of the ROH alumni facing them I'm not expecting much. As for Triple H/Bryan, it just feels too late for me. This should have happened at Survivor Series. It's really more to benefit HHH than it is Bryan, since Bryan got some boos when he suggested the match last night to the audience.

AtariLegend wrote:

As a fan Orton/Bryan/Batista never would have been that exciting either, partly since Bryan deserved the clean 1 on 1 victory. Saying that though, there is another serious reason which I doubt really factors into it, but might;

Bryan wins the title in a triple threat match in the main event, by making let's say Orton tap out with Chris Benoit's finishing move just like the ending to Wrestlemania XX 10 years ago. Memories no one would want to evoke.

Board footer