You are not logged in. Please register or login.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

Re: The Wrestling thread

slashsfro wrote:
misterID wrote:
slashsfro wrote:
misterID wrote:

How the hell are they still getting attendance like that when the ratings are so terrible?

A lot of this is the "casual" fanbase.  They go to see the spectacle of a Wrestlemania and for better or worse WWE usually delivers on that aspect.  Match card + feuds don't really matter in this case.

I can see that. And they do a good job of making it a week long experience like the NFL does with the SB. But I'll be damned if I'm forking over that kind of cash for those matches. HBK made it worth the price no matter who he faced. They don't have that guy anymore.

Pretty much yeah.  After Cena retires/scales back, they're going to have a major problem.  Reigns is not over no matter how much they want to push him as the next guy.  And they still want to push him in the main event for the next 2 years.  They don't seem that high on Ambrose.  From the face side, they are just going to have to get lucky and pray that someone gets over with the fans.  Because it sure as hell isn't the writing/plotlines that will drive fans there.

They're putting on  Taker-Shane as the main event (how sad is that in 2016) to send the fans home happy.

AtariLegend wrote:

One last thing, Nakamura's debit tonight (who actually does have a decent legit MMA record) was magical. The guy is a star, he's not a indie wrestler. One of the most over people in the company before his music hit, charismatic a legit (wrestling Observer) 5 match machine. He's too good for this company, they'll see someone who has the potential to be more over than Bryan and attempt to bury him because he's Japaneses.

I fully expect that to happen, especially since Vince is still running the show and he has a certain type of wrestler that he favors.  NXT (HHH run no less) is probably the only thing worth watching in WWE at the moment.  Ok, I'll admit that the post WM Raw is at least interesting since they seem to write better than usual for that show.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I think Punk's match will be so bad they cut him loose and say he can't get past the medical issues to help him save face. White seems to genuinely like him, and I wouldn't put it past him to cut him before the fight if he sees it will be a disaster. I mean, losing 15 out of 16 practice matches is terrible.

AtariLegend wrote:

I think Reigns will turn heel either Sunday or on Monday. I'd be shocked if it doesn't happen.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
slashsfro wrote:
misterID wrote:
slashsfro wrote:

A lot of this is the "casual" fanbase.  They go to see the spectacle of a Wrestlemania and for better or worse WWE usually delivers on that aspect.  Match card + feuds don't really matter in this case.

I can see that. And they do a good job of making it a week long experience like the NFL does with the SB. But I'll be damned if I'm forking over that kind of cash for those matches. HBK made it worth the price no matter who he faced. They don't have that guy anymore.

Pretty much yeah.  After Cena retires/scales back, they're going to have a major problem.  Reigns is not over no matter how much they want to push him as the next guy.  And they still want to push him in the main event for the next 2 years.  They don't seem that high on Ambrose.  From the face side, they are just going to have to get lucky and pray that someone gets over with the fans.  Because it sure as hell isn't the writing/plotlines that will drive fans there.

They're putting on  Taker-Shane as the main event (how sad is that in 2016) to send the fans home happy.

AtariLegend wrote:

One last thing, Nakamura's debit tonight (who actually does have a decent legit MMA record) was magical. The guy is a star, he's not a indie wrestler. One of the most over people in the company before his music hit, charismatic a legit (wrestling Observer) 5 match machine. He's too good for this company, they'll see someone who has the potential to be more over than Bryan and attempt to bury him because he's Japaneses.

I fully expect that to happen, especially since Vince is still running the show and he has a certain type of wrestler that he favors.  NXT (HHH run no less) is probably the only thing worth watching in WWE at the moment.  Ok, I'll admit that the post WM Raw is at least interesting since they seem to write better than usual for that show.

That main event is sad.

Isn't Steph supposed to be a big part of the problem? That she's fired all the "wrestling heads" and hired reality show writers who actually hate wrestling?

It's just depressing watching anymore.

AtariLegend wrote:

Stephanie was chosen by Vince. They said she always had the mind for the business that Shane didn't. Hence the Shane return thing being not too far from reality.

Shane fact: Despite being accused of being the wacky one who didn't get it, Shane wanted to buy UFC back in the day before it got big. They could afford it, but Vince supposedly blocked it.

slashsfro

slashsfro wrote:
misterID wrote:

That main event is sad.

Isn't Steph supposed to be a big part of the problem? That she's fired all the "wrestling heads" and hired reality show writers who actually hate wrestling?

It's just depressing watching anymore.

Yeah, she is part of the problem.  But I really can't tell how much since Vince pretty much has control over the damn show and can rewrite/veto stuff on the day of the show.  Not really defending her but Vince is the bigger problem, imo.

It's just too freaking long at 3 hrs.  At this point, I either watch the youtube videos of the interesting stuff and just read the results.  It's just difficult sitting through 3 hours of this stuff when maybe only half of it is engaging.  Oh and that's not going into how wins don't mean much and they don't write good feuds anymore (see current UT-Shane feud).

AtariLegend wrote:
slashsfro wrote:

too freaking long at 3 hrs.

With pre show/aftershow this year it's basically 7 hours at Mania.

slashsfro

slashsfro wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

Oof.  That's brutal.  I wonder how much actual ring time there will be there.  I can tell that the intros/video packages/music/promos will take up a ton of time.

AtariLegend wrote:
slashsfro wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

Oof.  That's brutal.  I wonder how much actual ring time there will be there.  I can tell that the intros/video packages/music/promos will take up a ton of time.

There'll be adverts for the network every 15 minutes despite you watching it on the network. There'll also be alot of adverts about charties they exploited to make themselves look good.

Rock, Austin and Cena will be wheeled out to cut a promo probably too.

AtariLegend wrote:

It wasn't one of the worst WMs of all time, it wasn't good though either.

- Reigns was loudly booed by most of the people there. Commentators no sold it and the match was dull.

- The best match was probably the women's title match.

- Lesnar/Ambrose was just okay, but not what people were expecting. It was also a little over 10 minutes too for some reason.

- A.J./Jericho was what already happened multiple times on TV. Jericho beat A.J. clean which really makes no sense whatsoever, but okay.

- Shane dived off the Hell in The Cell and landed through the table. I know people love the spot, but the match was absurd and silly. Shane can't do a non silly looking punch and watching Undertaker sell for Shane was too much off a suspension of disbelieve. This match made no sense, I guess Shane just wanted to let his kids see him have a match...

Everything else was filler.

Board footer