You are not logged in. Please register or login.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

Re: The 'Lost' GNR Album from '96

DCK wrote:

I wouldn't glorify the possibility of such an album. This I Love would have been horribly out-dated in 1996. It would just be "great...another November Rain overproduced ballad about lost love and emo feelings".

It would have been great to see it, but it would not have sold that much. Maybe a bit more than what Spaghetti sold to take a wild guess.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

i've always been more of a Gilby guy...include Cure Me...or Kill Me and Tijuana Jail in there...hopefully one day we can hear whatever exists from those sessions in the mid 90's

ronartest2004
 Rep: 2 

DCK wrote:

I wouldn't glorify the possibility of such an album. This I Love would have been horribly out-dated in 1996. It would just be "great...another November Rain overproduced ballad about lost love and emo feelings".

It would have been great to see it, but it would not have sold that much. Maybe a bit more than what Spaghetti sold to take a wild guess.

I agree with you, Im glad that the album wasnt released then. If you go and look at the music that was topping the rock charts at that time (94-96) it was a complete 180 of what gnr was/is.

And hasnt it been pretty well documented that Axl couldnt/didnt write any lyrics during that time?. Ive heard that they had pleanty of "melodies" but no lyrics. And the few that would ask Axl about lyrics would be quickly dismissed from working on the album, I think the only person that got a straight response from Axl was Zakk Wylde to which Axl told Zakk something like "dude, if I were to write anything it would be about all of these lawyers and the lawsuits people have against me".

Axl even said that TIL was just a piano melody untill the "nugnr" guys talked him into finishing the song. So I doubt that TIL wouldve even been on the lost album, and didnt Matt say "no ballads, just 12 rock n roll songs", or something like that?. I'd say that TIL is a ballad.

While I'm in here I've just got to say...

Axl's screams and Slash's solos in Sympathy For The Devil are fucking ace.

ronartest2004 wrote:

So I doubt that TIL wouldve even been on the lost album

He did say, in an interview back in 1994, that he had recorded a new song called This I Love that he wanted to put on the new record.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

The other guitarist possibility, of course, is that Dave Navarro might've joined up and stuck around if Slash had been in the band. I could see a Slash/Navarro line-up working; Navarro doesn't seem to threaten Slash's ego in the same way that Wylde and Huge did (he seems happy to take a back seat and play rhythm in Camp Freddy, while Slash hogs the limelight, for instance). Plus he has the widdly shred skills that Slash lacks, and the experimental vibe that'd suit Axl - actually, didn't GN'R try to recruit him as a replacement for Izzy?

ronartest2004
 Rep: 2 

Handsome B. Wonderful wrote:

While I'm in here I've just got to say...

Axl's screams and Slash's solos in Sympathy For The Devil are fucking ace.

ronartest2004 wrote:

So I doubt that TIL wouldve even been on the lost album

He did say, in an interview back in 1994, that he had recorded a new song called This I Love that he wanted to put on the new record.

Ill try to dig up where axl said something about the song, and him not finishing it until he got with the new band. Im really thinking he had the piano melody, but no lyrics. So maybe it couldve just been like a piano interlude on the 96 album. But with everything ive gathered I dont think Axl did any new material vocals during that point.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

Be interesting to speculate on what Axl would've done with Fall To Pieces. It'd certainly be completely different lyrically, it's a very personal Scott song.

Axl Rose: I wrote and recorded a new love song that I want on the next record called This I Love, that's the heaviest thing that I've ever done.

Hit Parader, 1993

Dave Dominguez: 'This I Love' is actually an old GN'R song that the original GN'R wrote and recorded for the 'Illusion' records. I like that song a lot. It took a couple of weeks to find all the tapes because they finished recording 'Use Your Illusions' on the road and one tape was in Paris another in London and another in Sydney, I believe.

Dominguez may be a bit mistaken as for This I Love originating as a UYI song (the albums were released on 16th and 17th of September, 1991). Comparing tour dates with studio time, GN'R played in London on 08/31/91 and 04/20/92, Paris on 06/06/92, and Sydney on 01/30/93. Therefore, it's more likely the song was originally recorded around the same time as the bulk of 'The Spaghetti Incident?'.

Sp1at, 04/21/05

Will
 Rep: 227 

Will wrote:
Axl S wrote:

6. Box (Down By The Ocean) Possibly one of the tracks Duff and Izzy wrote

"Box" and "Down By The Ocean"....

I think they're seperate songs, just a coincidence that Izzy rehashed the same line, or purposely rehashed due to his reuniting with Axl at the time.

izzy wrote:

There are 2 songs i co-wrote with an old friend of mine.... Timo Kaltia [guitarist/songwriter]. He lives in uk, the songs are "Box" and "Seems To Me"... The writing started with those 2 songs and I took off from there.

Timo Kaltia wrote:

I was in touch with Izzy after I moved back to London in 1990 for many years, but eventually we lost each other's numbers... I got his email address a while back and been in touch again since..."

Timos interview was done just a few months after Fire was released. Always assumed the songs were written during GNRs UK tour in '06 when Izzy guested and Timo was presumably a VIP at the gigs.

If "many years" spans from '90-'95 its possible that this is the same song and Izzy forgot to credit Duff. I don't know, bit of a moot point unless Axl drops DBTO on his next release big_smile

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:

Well you could easily take it out and throw in a Gilby solo track to make up this mythical lost album tongue

Board footer