You are not logged in. Please register or login.

axlgod
 Rep: 16 

Re: 1st listen to CD in awhile...

axlgod wrote:
mickronson wrote:

talking of whiny little bitch,  an X-Factor contender just took on SCOM... hah

i just knew someone would cover that.
....it wasn't good, but i wouldn't mind hanging out her arse. lol.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
Olorin wrote:

Well thats just super 15

Does this mean you bought it?

Sort of.  I legally put it on my mp3 player through Rhapsody.  It's still there - even the songs I don't care for.

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:
DCK wrote:

Now here's a thread with positivity.

Positive is in the eyes of the beholder.  I didn't say the whole album sucks.  I gave the whole thing a listen and wrote honest feelings now that time has lessened some of the disappointment that the album was released in the first place.

There are some clearly positive comments in there.  If you were looking for me to say the album's great, you came to the wrong place and should have known that before opening the thread.  You chose to read the negative and ignore the positive.  That's your right, but in the end, it makes you as negative as you claim that I am.  Think about that for awhile...

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:
russtcb wrote:
deadsouth wrote:

Im sorry, is anyone supposed to care?

About each others opinions on GNR and their music? I think that's the idea behind these forums. So I would go ahead and answer you're question with a yes.

Exactly.  I thought it might be interesting to see how my opinions have changed since the album was released almost a year ago.  Once I realized how they had changed, I thought I'd share it with my friends here.  I'm sorry that you don't approve.

Actually, I'm not.

deadsouth
 Rep: 10 

deadsouth wrote:
russtcb wrote:
deadsouth wrote:

About each others opinions on GNR and their music? I think that's the idea behind these forums. So I would go ahead and answer you're question with a yes.

So I should feel the need to start a thread every time I re think something?

I would have not said nothing, but his review it totally of whack. 17

I listened to CD the other day again and I still have the same feeling I had when I first listened to the album,it's a good rock album,but not a good GN'R album.

jorge76
 Rep: 59 

jorge76 wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

I think the album had a lot of potential.  Some of the songs are structured well and only a couple are just awful.

Mikkamakka wrote:

IMO the album suffers poor production and over-production at the same time. Sometimes the vocals are just horrible (SOD, Madagascar), sometimes less would have been more. Much more. Tori Amos once said that if you rework a song again and again, then you can kill the original feeling out of it.

The album is full of later added, poor cut and paste parts, which don't belong to the original song. Fuckin' rerecord it as a whole, but these later recorded, coming from nowhere-going to nowhere parts kill the songs. Less orchestration, less Public enemy drum machine would have made a better result.

James Lofton wrote:

I could ignore some of its horrid production if he had actually put in the effort to redo the vocals on some of these songs. Using ten year old vocal tracks is just plain lazy. Madagascar is borderline 'scratch vocals'. So is Street of Dreams. IRS is as well but it gets a free pass due to that scream.

I totally agree with all of this.

I don't want to turn this into another "they should have done more with the release" discussions, but I recently re-watched the dvd that came with St Anger of Metallica playing the entire album live in the studio.  It's so far superior to the actual album that it's not even funny. 

This album could really have benefitted from something like that.  A live performance would get rid of a lot of the obvious cut and paste/editing/production aspects that drive a lot of us crazy, but an in-studio/no audience performance would still have been very easy for them to keep control.

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:
deadsouth wrote:
russtcb wrote:
deadsouth wrote:

So I should feel the need to start a thread every time I re think something?

Well, I could have put it in the "positive CD thread" that lasted for a couple days if that would have made you happier.

Shit - people think I look for reasons to complain?  People complain when I say something bad, they complain when I say something good, and the complain when I don't say something the way they felt it should have been said.  I can't win no matter what I do.

jorge76
 Rep: 59 

jorge76 wrote:
deadsouth wrote:

I would have not said nothing, but his review it totally of whack. 17

How so?

He seems to be looking at things pretty objectively to me.  He's stating what it is he liked or didn't like about each song.  You really couldn't ask for much more in a review if you ask me.  (You didn't, but...)

Unless the only way you think he could have an un-whack review is by praising the album all the way through.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Board footer