You are not logged in. Please register or login.

gnfnraxl
 Rep: 43 

Re: how are the shows selling this time around?

gnfnraxl wrote:
Handsome B. Wonderful wrote:

Chinese Democracy will be releas...

Oh, wait.

*lol*  I could be wrong as I thought CD would NEVER be released.  But I'm fairly confident there will not be another cd released by Axl under the GNR name by 2010.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:
gnfnraxl wrote:
Olorin wrote:

£20?

20$  Sure.  So what is you limit date?  You say by 2010 so if it isn't out by December 31st 2010 I win?

Why not big_smile

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

Olorin wrote:
gnfnraxl wrote:
Olorin wrote:

£20?

20$  Sure.  So what is you limit date?  You say by 2010 so if it isn't out by December 31st 2010 I win?

Why not big_smile

Dr Pepper say DON'T DO IT! tongue

gnfnraxl

gnfnraxl wrote:
A Private Eye wrote:
Olorin wrote:
gnfnraxl wrote:

Why not big_smile

Dr Pepper say DON'T DO IT! tongue

To me or Olorin?

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

you are a braver man than I Olorin 16

so is it $20US, $20CDN or £20?

gnfnraxl

gnfnraxl wrote:
Neemo wrote:

you are a braver man than I Olorin 16

so is it $20US, $20CDN or £20?

I'll let him choose.  After all it's his money.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Artists have to adapt to these changing times. Not just musically, but economically as well. When a nostalgic band like AC/DC has fans riled up over a setlist, you're gonna see it happen more often with others.

Ok...now I've been vocal about saying I'd like to hear lots of CD at the show cos its new and its such a good album, but in relation to this Ac/Dc incident...I think the problem is the band has to cater for 2 markets:

There is 90% of the audience, who saved up to go to one Ac/Dc show, probably love the band to death for years but don't have a lifestyle to travel with the band - these people are going to want the basic hits, and the radio cuts from the new album - basicly the exact set list the band is currently playing.

Then there is the 10% of crazed fans. The people who mortgage their homes, buy a campervan and do the entire world tour following the band - every show, every contintint, and see the band 100s of times. These people don't want the same set list each night, they're going to want B sides, obsure tracks, and the less known stuff.

How can they possibly please both markets? And while I respect the crazed fans, and would probably become one of GNR,Ac/Dc, megadeth and a couple of other bands if i had the cash to make it viable to lead that lifestyle - realisticly - shows can't be designed to be seen 100 times with variance and still please the average punter - these people complaining are a hardcore minority, and I can see how they feel, but I also think, realisticly if you are going to see a band 100 times on one tour it's your own fault that there is repitition.

Because what of the people that can only afford one show? If the band decides to drop the radio cuts like "Black Ice" and "Rock and roll Train" or leave out the classics like "Thunderstuck" on the night of that persons one show, to humour these people who've gone on the whole tour - he'll be pretty upset. It's not really fair to modify something that will fuck over 90% of the audience to please 10%.

Perhaps when they play multiple nights in the one city some change is ok. For example, I'm going to see Ac/Dc 3 times in melbourne in early 2010. I don't mind if one of those nights they swap around a song or two or something, but if they drop songs off the entire aussie leg of the tour, to play random back catalogue stuff just to please people who went to the USA leg of the tour and are now bored, when I've had to wait almost 2 years since black ice came out to get the band back home...i'll be pissed off too!

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

Yeah I agree.  The AC/DC fanatics are crazy, not just for going to so many shows, but to expect their favorite band to cater to their needs.  I can understand getting a little fed up with seeing the same show 50 times or so, but who's forcing them to go to so many shows?  They know what they're getting when they fork over the money.

The GNR setlist complaints seemed to come from, as Axl put it "some kid in Iowa reading about setlists on the internet".  Not exactly GNR fanatics who were fed up with seeing the same show over and over again.

And not to split hairs but GNR's setlist varied A LITTLE over time.  Basically you were guaranteed to hear certain songs and usually in the same order but they did throw some treats out there on rare occasions (Down On The Farm, Nice Boys, Don't Cry, jams with Izzy, etc.).  From what I can gather, there is little to NO change with the AC/DC shows.  I also noticed Van Halen didn't change their setlist when they toured with Roth last time out.  Most bands play a static setlist for the most part.  Few are like Pearl Jam, who change things up on a nightly basis.  It's great for hardcore fans but if you went to see Pearl Jam and they didn't play "Even Flow" you might be a little puzzled/upset.

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:

The difference between AC/DC is their backcatalogue is so big that they have SO MANY hits. Enough to fill a set, GNR don't. GNR have to play

Jungle, Child, Paradise City
Patience
You Could Be Mine, November Rain

Those are the only songs THEY MUST play. The others like Nightrain, It's So Easy, Brownstone are also usually played as quite a lot of people would be dissapointed if they didn't hear them, that's the same reason LALD and KOHD unfortunatly still get played.

But even with those tracks that's not a full selist and because they have the room to shuffle the setlist, the fans complain.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
Axl S wrote:

The difference between AC/DC is their backcatalogue is so big that they have SO MANY hits. Enough to fill a set, GNR don't. GNR have to play

Jungle, Child, Paradise City
Patience
You Could Be Mine, November Rain

Those are the only songs THEY MUST play. The others like Nightrain, It's So Easy, Brownstone are also usually played as quite a lot of people would be dissapointed if they didn't hear them, that's the same reason LALD and KOHD unfortunatly still get played.

But even with those tracks that's not a full selist and because they have the room to shuffle the setlist, the fans complain.

True.  I posted over at a Van Halen forum for a fleeting moment when the VH/GNR rumors were going around and they didn't think too highly of anything except for AFD.  They seemed to think the UYI's were mostly filler.  So while we'd love to hear songs like "Dead Horse", "Breakdown", and "Coma".  I don't think the general public would be too thrilled.

Board footer