You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: This I Love

monkeychow wrote:

I really love this song too, and it's very much like a companion piece to Axl's great love songs of the past.

I actually don't listen to it very often, because, I find it somewhat emotionally draining to listen to. Mock me if you will, but whenever I listen to it, I feel I could end up crying if I let it sink in too much, so I have to be in the right mood for it. Much like a very sad movie or something. Beautiful, but not something you want to do to yourself every morning. 

Very beautiful and haunting melody in this song too, I often find myself humming it and stuff around the house too.

johndivney wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

I actually don't listen to it very often, because, I find it somewhat emotionally draining to listen to. Mock me if you will, but whenever I listen to it, I feel I could end up crying if I let it sink in too much, so I have to be in the right mood for it. Much like a very sad movie or something. Beautiful, but not something you want to do to yourself every morning.

definitely. one of the heaviest trips in the Guns catalogue. as atmospheric as the garden, but as sad as estranged and more grandiose than nov rain, and as beautiful & tender as sweet child. it's a Guns classic.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I wish I could have heard Robin on it live. I think a live performance, especially on Axl's part, will be fantastic.

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Aussie wrote:

I like the song and it's shame it never got a push into the mainstream as I'm sure outside of these circles people don't know it exist.  But if they did, I'm sure the song could find a reasonably receptive audience.

mickronson
 Rep: 118 

mickronson wrote:

I`ll listen to it when it comes on.  Its not a shit song by far, its not a great song neither.  Its no epic, and estranged shits all over it tbh, lyrically as much as musically, but I would have thought someone with half a brain connected to "gnr" would release it and see what happens.  Nothing to lose.

johndivney wrote:
misterID wrote:

I wish I could have heard Robin on it live. I think a live performance, especially on Axl's part, will be fantastic.

that's the only wistfulness i have over robins departure - as long as they're still going to play Better, which i'm sure they will.
but the guy has never had the opportunity in his career like the one the TIL solo gave him. for me it's probably the best thing robin has ever played. i like NIN, but he never got a spot like that with trent, and that he'll never see it to completion (i.e. playing it live) is a little unfortunate.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

Count me in the TIL solo fan club. I get it now, its not supposed to be a thing of beauty, its an artistic representation of that gut churning, sickening, crippling, desperate feeling you get when you lose someone who means the world to you.
I think the song is a work of art, its grown on me more than anything on the album. Theres a much deeper emotional expression that the music and the structure has captured that is easily missed when you are just casually listening to it.
I understand why Axl considers this the heaviest thing he has ever written, he has really tried to replictate the quagmire of a broken heart in more than just words.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:

Olorin got it.

I used it as a separation track, since I felt it expressed my sentiment. I wasn't having a moment of infinite beauty, I can assure you.

Board footer