You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Saboteur
 Rep: 4 

Re: Slash album reviews

Saboteur wrote:
russtcb wrote:
Saboteur wrote:

But seriously this is the best GN'R album since "Ue your illusion II"

It's not a GN'R album and I couldn't disagree more if it were.

Ok, you right Slash, Izzy, Duff and Steven are not GN'R 16
Real Gunner for you is talentless Robin Finck 17

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

This album kicks ass....

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I want to let this album sink in for a couple more days before I write a full review, as I think some of these songs are going to be "growers".

I'll say that for me the sleeper song on the album was Doctor Alibi, in some ways it's generic but then that's what made it go off, great lyrics appliciable to Lemmy and Slash's lifestyles, then a pretty killer solo - starts off as a standard slash run then breaks into a few seconds of very coolness...I dug it.

My overall impression is that there's a few nothing tracks like people have said, I was particularly unimpressed with cornell cos I know what he is capiable of, and it's not happening here. But there's also more than a couple of good songs on this record too. I think for me personally it's probably going to rate hihger snakepit 2 (which I didn't like much of other than Serial Killer, Meanbone, and Speed Parade) but not reach the heights of Snakepit 1 which to me is the best Slash solo effort to date.

It's definately a good record. Just I know that some of slash's other solo stuff is at least as good, like the solo in "Fields of Joy", or the awesome "Vengance is Mine" from a couple of years back. So I guess I don't see why these songs are worthy of being on a self-titled album when many of those single colaborations are lost to the sands of time burried in obsure soundtracks and so on. But don't get me wrong. Still love a few of these songs! And it's early days. It's tough reviewing somethign at first - there's overcomming initial expectations, or at the other end there's the 'fresh meat' syndrome where you like stuff cos it's new....so i'll be interested to see what place these tracks hold in my slash playlists after a bit of time.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

I wouldn't say I'm overly impressed with the album.  I agree with a lot of the critical reviews that I've read.  They seem right on to me.  The songs are quite simple, there's nothing mind blowing.  BUT, that's not necessarily a bad thing.  There are some fun songs on the album and I think it's a solid effort.  I don't think it'll set the world on fire like some thought it might, but who knows.  Many albums have gotten rave reviews and haven't had the sales to match.  Maybe a simplistic album with some pop elements are what the public is clamoring for.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:

Back from Cali is so damn catchy and a tasty solo as well!

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

^ Just about to dig into that song more. It's a cool album that's for sure.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

I really didn't care for a few of the songs on first listen.  I thought the Ozzy track was pretty blah, but it has grown on me.  I still don't think it's a great track, but I like it a lot more than I did originally.  I had high expectations for the Kid Rock track and was unimpressed at first, but I dig that track now.  I'm still not sold on "Promise" and a few others though.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

Going back to what neemo was saying. I think it's expectations that make it so hard for GNR people. Like these songs are pretty great, I think the disapointment of some stems from them not somehow being better than the best we've seen, it's like we always want to raise the bar. And i think the same is true of new GNR, a lot of people who don't like those songs I think want Axl to write something better than the best thing he's ever written every time.

My only issue is in terms of the exposure to the general public. Like naming this self titled sort of implies it's slash's best ever works, and I think it's damn cool, but he also has a discography of other awesome works that are on par with this release.

But that's a side issue. I'm really enjoying listening to this album, and I know a few of the tracks will last with me for a long time.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:

On a guitar forum I am a member of, most of the folks don't "love" Slash, but they like him and think he rocks...  But the comments on the album from a bunch of guitar players is that he is playing technically on another level and they are liking what they hear.  So for a bunch of non biased hard rock guitar players, it is being very well received.  As GNR fans I agree, we put very high expectations on all former members.

Board footer