You are not logged in. Please register or login.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

Re: Slash album reviews

bigbri wrote:
-D- wrote:

Slash didn't have 10 years of mystery and mystique surrounding his comeback

Not being a hater.. just pointing out a fact

We could go tit-for-tat on this all day. I'm just using the exact same criteria.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

but it isn't the same criteria

Axl could've released Rhiad and it would've hit top 10 due to  the legendary excitement and curiosity. See "Better" and how it tanked.

u will see when another GNR album comes out, it won't get anywhere near that kind of buzz.

Same can be said for Contraband. There was so much buzz and hype due to the members and curiosity that it did amazing.... once that wore off, Libertad did terrible.

one can say it was bad single choices etc.. i just think the curiosity factor was over

people were dying to see Axl after 1o years.. did and moved on.

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

So "Smooth" isn't on this album?

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Chinese Democracy had no curiosity factor anymore. Give it up already, D. There were outlets to not just hear the single but the entire album without having to buy it or request it on the radio. The curiosity excuse is lame.

bigbri

bigbri wrote:
-D- wrote:

but it isn't the same critera

Same criteria. Rock chart debut. Chinese Democracy top 10, bad. Slash No. 47 bad. Charts don't measure curiosity.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

One was fucking called Guns N' Roses, the other is called Slash.  If artist was called AC/DC, The Rolling Stones, or Metallica, then we can compare.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

Save your energy.  It's hard to see a difference that you don't want to see...

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:
bigbri wrote:
-D- wrote:

Same criteria. Rock chart debut. Chinese Democracy top 10, bad. Slash No. 47 bad. Charts don't measure curiosity.

Comparing a decade in the making album with a reclusive singer with a legendary mystique who virtually disappeared at the height of his career, to a guy who has remained in the public eye isn't the same thing

Radio were playing the new GNR single as soon as they could which blew it up the charts

I think the fact it didn't hit number 1 is a huge indictment. Everyone was ready to give Axl a chance... people didn't dig the song so when Better was released, even though its a much better song than CD, it tanked cause radio were no longer interested, the curiosity factor wore off

If Axl ever releases another album, it won't get anywhere near the buzz of CD, CD was infamous, the lochness monster, big foot thing.....

Also, GNR are under a super MAJOR label deal. U don't think Universal have big time muscle at radio to play their artists?

Slash is basically putting out an INDY album.

bigbri

bigbri wrote:
-D- wrote:
bigbri wrote:
-D- wrote:

I think the fact it didn't hit number 1 is a huge indictment.

Haha, this is my point. The hypocrisy is going to fly now, isn't it. CD didn't go No. 1, just No. 3 or something, so that was bad. No. 47 for Slash is OK.

Honestly, you guys know my stance on sales/awards. Doesn't matter if you like it.

Basically, most of the arguments around here boil down to Slash=good; Axl=bad. Lame.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I love how whatever Axl does is a failure. CD going platinum and the excuse was that all the sales came from internet fanboys who bought multiple copies was my favorite of all the excuses...

Yeah, you hate Axl carried on the name without any of the other guys and you'll never get over it... Have fun.

CD sold well despite hardly any advertising and being sold in one store chain. Slash's album will be everywhere and he's going to pimp the shit out of it. The difference is, I hope Slash's album sells well and I won't come up with a lame reason why it does or doesn't. I think his album blows. Others don't. Who cares?

Board footer