You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: How will the delays effect C.D.'s sales?

I see alot of mention about 2002.  Do you really think that would have been a good time?   Axl was under heavy fire for his look and also what the band was made up of.  This is not disrepect to anyone but you had Axl looking the way the did, BH [as great as he is, that was the first time people really saw him], Finck was more outrageous look and Tommy was wearing fishnets.

I do think that Axl was correct when he said that the world was not ready for GNR in 2002.  The VMA performance wasn't that great, his voice was terrible.

I dunno, it would have been great if he released it then but think he has gained more respect for his look now and his voice is tons better, the band's look was tamed down.   I think if there was an optimal time it would have been 06, I think 06 and forward they have gained more people that are interested then in 02.

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

buzzsaw wrote:
A Private Eye wrote:

Interest will be there whenever it's released imo, perhaps there where certain peaks in interest where it would have done better like in 02. Should we ever get a firm release date I think a lot fo that interest will return. The media doesn't mention it or apparently care because they've nothing left to say about it, any comments they had to make on Axl or CD they made in 99 then in 02 and then in 06, they can't repeat the CD story every other issue. As far as the media are concerned there's nothing really to care about because nothing new has happened and until it does they'd just be rehashing very old news.

As for album sales like many have said it won't break any records becuse we're no longer in an era where albums sell in the many millions. Nor is Axl some iconic rock god to the kids but that doesn't neccessarily matter. I can't speak for any other countries but when The Eagles album came out recently it debuted at number 1 and is still at number 5 in the charts 5 weeks after release with practically no promotion. A few adverts in magazines and that's about all I saw, there was no single on national radio and if there was it got little to no airplay. The kids aren't buying that but yet it's selling well. With CD factor in a good single (hopefully), the right promotion and the fact that it's GNR's 'comeback album' etc and I think CD has a fair shot at claiming a high chart place.

The Eagles had a single on VH1's countdown.  I don't care enough to see if they have one on Billboard and since Bo Bice was number 1 on VH1 this week, I've lost all respect for that countdown.  Maybe someone will care enough to look it up. 

I'd venture a guess that the Eagles have more fans that would buy conventional CD releases than Guns N' Roses does due to the age difference.  There are far more 30 year olds running around with mp3 players than 45 year olds.  Add to that the successes most of them had on their own and I'd say that they would easily outsell anything Axl could release at this point after the first week or so.  CD could peak high initially, but it will have no staying power without a monster single prior to release.

Yeah fair points, The Eagles may have had a single I wasn't sure, point was you have to hunt to hear it in the UK, it's not like it was everywhere.

Your right about the single though for CD though, it does need a good one, but more broadly it has to be a good album. All the promo in the world won't save a shit album, if it has some great tracks on it it will do well however long the wait or however much people dislike Axl. A good single will fair it well at the start but it will drop rapidly if it's got 12 other bland songs, if it's got 5 or 6 songs on it that really could be successful singles with the rest being solid tracks then it will last a lot longer.

I think the albums success hinges much more on how good it is than the wait we've endured to it.

elmir
 Rep: 53 

elmir wrote:

if the album was as good as everyone said it was, they would have succeeded, regardless of the way they looked.

elmir wrote:

if the album was as good as everyone said it was, they would have succeeded, regardless of the way they looked.

I dunno about that, his look was scrutinized and was the bud of alot of jokes.

elmir

elmir wrote:
DoubleTalkingJive wrote:
elmir wrote:

so what you're saying is that if we had the greatest rock record of the 21st century in 2002, it owuld have been shit for the band because Axl sucked live?

Axl always sucked live.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
elmir wrote:
DoubleTalkingJive wrote:
elmir wrote:

so what you're saying is that if we had the greatest rock record of the 21st century in 2002, it owuld have been shit for the band because Axl sucked live?

Axl always sucked live.

I agree with Elmir.  Not only would it have succeeded not matter what they looked like, it would have succeeded no matter who was in the band.  Of course, all of this is IF it was as good as everyone said it was.  If it was that good, we'd have heard it by now.

elmir wrote:
DoubleTalkingJive wrote:
elmir wrote:

Axl always sucked live.

What I am saying is that was a baaad first impression and first impression of a rock star that was out of spotlight for years and wasn't a good one.  Had that album been on sale after that, it could have affected the sales, not only did he sound terrible but even I was in shock, when I saw him.   For me it wouldn't have affected me buying the album but for people who were die hard old GNR fans, it totally would have.  Now, his look is more digested and their tours they did in 06/07 did extremely well.  Think about it, not only was it a shock at what they looked like, the tour tanked.   I think a terrible time to have released it.

I don't agree with Axl always sucked live.  Some of the 90's shows were awesome.

elmir

elmir wrote:

i know what you're saying, but no bad looks or out of breath VMA performances would have stopped an avalanche of a good single or a top 10 rock chart debut....the fact that he came out of hiding was exceptional enough, and if on top of that his circus act of virtuosos delivered a record to beat all records....everything else would have been forgotten very quickly.

the fact that they are more sedate now makes things slightly boring....even for die hard fans...how excited are we right now?

i still get a rush watching BH's nightrain solo from 02....there isn't mich from the 06/06 tour which gets the same reaction out of me, perhaps Finck's Brownstone interpretation....but other than that, they're behaving and playing and looking like musicians in their 40's would.....

sedate....some may find it even boring....
look at VR...

I love BH but I will admit at the time I was like what the hell is that.  10   

Do I fine them boring no, I think the shows they put on now are full of energy and kept my interest up without BH.   Like it or not, BH got alot of flack in the beginning until he was more accepted and his playing outshined the way he looked.   Can't argue with him being a little shocking if you've never seen him before and that could have hurt sale yes.

Plus it was more venomous between the old members back then.   People who were Slash fans remained that and wouldn't even think of giving Axl a chance, beit there are some still this way but it's not like it was back then, IMO.   I think most of them are in better places now and it really comes across more now then back then.   Axl hasn't ranted on stage like he did in 02 in Albany, he may feel the same but it hasn't shown on tour, he isn't kicking people out wearing Slash shirts, that makes a big different IMO, winning over fans that are pro Slash or old GNR.

elmir

elmir wrote:
DoubleTalkingJive wrote:

I love BH but I will admit at the time I was like what the hell is that.  10

new. shocking. interesting. would you have expected anything less from Axl Rose?

Do I fine them boring no, I think the shows they put on now are full of energy and kept my interest up without BH.   Like it or not, BH got alot of flack in the beginning until he was more accepted and his playing outshined the way he looked.   Can't argue with him being a little shocking if you've never seen him before and that could have hurt sale yes.

that would have never hurt sales. never. maybe attendance at gigs, but even that is debateable, but sales would have never been affected. people will always buy that record because of one man only. Axl Rose.

Plus it was more venomous between the old members back then.   People who were Slash fans remained that and wouldn't even think of giving Axl a chance, beit there are some still this way but it's not like it was back then, IMO.

venomous = more media coverage. more media coverage = more publicity (which is the same thing)
if the material stood up to it, sales would have blown the roof off the music industry.

I think most of them are in better places now and it really comes across more now then back then.

that is true, there is more cohesion in the band now.

Axl hasn't ranted on stage like he did in 02 in Albany, he may feel the same but it hasn't shown on tour, he isn't kicking people out wearing Slash shirts, that makes a big different IMO, winning over fans that are pro Slash or old GNR.

its his voice which wins over fans. not anything else. people have waited for axl rose to start concerts forever....still makes no difference when he comes on stage and belts it out like a teenager....all is forgiven immediatelly...rants or not....

do i think the new band is better? Live they definitely are, i cannot judge them any other way because we haven't heard anything else from them...they also seem more of a band now than back in 02 as well....

but i don't think that 02 would have been a bad time to release a record....if it would have tanked, it would have done so because it sucked, not because the band consisted of circus performers....

they're running exactly the same risk now....all nice and sedate looking, no rants, more polite than ever....but if the album sucks...he can say goodbye to his stardom...

Board footer